KAV file?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lrtrees, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lrtrees

lrtrees Registered Member

I am currently using KAV 5.0.227 and so far I really like it. I have a question or two though. I have seen mentioned several times that it adds hidden stream data or ads to files, if I remember correctly. My question is this, should I be worried about whatever these are and do they effect system operation?

Thanks,
    Lon

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

KAV 5.0 adds hidden stream data or ADS tags to files in order to 'tag' them such that these files wont be scanned again after first scan if you have not updated since then. This is only done for NTFS hard disks. It caused problems in using the 'System Restore' feature of Windows XP; which is why it caused such an uproar.

So, if you have an NTFS hard disk, you should disable iStreams during installation. They don't affect system operation as such, but will affect your system restore operations (I don't know exactly how); so be worried only if you use that feature of Windows XP.

Regards,
    Firecat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.