KAV defs + heuristics, but non-KAV software?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by halcyon, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

I know this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to be able to search spot the correct threads now...

What options are there if one wants to have the latest freshly updated KAV definitions in use (and hopefully the improved and upcoming heuristics), but does not want to use the AV software itself from KAV?

So, softwat the uses KAV definitions (and actually downloads them from the freshest source) that is not KAV?

- eScan ?
    - does F-Secure still use KAV definitions ?
    - eXtendia AVK Pro?

Do these actually download the definitions from KAV servers or are they late in the sense that they first download from KAV and then put it on their own servers for the clients to download?

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

If i ever were to use another AV with Kav engine it would be AVK, Kav + BitDefender engines and the new Bitdefender heuristics. You will not get the new ProActive Defense if you choose a "clone", if this was what you were referring to with "(and hopefully the improved and upcoming heuristics)", you will have the standard-heuristics though.

All the "clones" receive the signatures a little later AFAIK.

3. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

Yes. And they're updated a couple times per day as required. I've found F-Secure to be a little heavier on resourses than KAV personal though.

Ned

4. halcyon

Thanks for the replies so far.

How heavy is eXtendia AVK Pro when run

A) real-time protection (system memory and cpu use)?

B) on-demand only (scanning speed and system resource use during scan)?

Compared to the usual suspects (F-Prot and DrWeb being baseline for little resources, NOD32 being ok and Symantec being too much resource usage).

5. halcyon

Answering myself.

Based on threads here... eXtendia AVK Pro seems to really slow things down with real-time protection.

G-Data (later incarnation) seems to be a bit better in this regards, but perhaps not that much.

eXtendia offers daily updates, G Data asks you to pay 29.95€ more for premium license to get daily updates.

eXtendia also seems to update faster than G-Data (based on an experience by a forum user here).

eXtendia is based on an older version of G data and has (had?) some compatibility issues that are now solved in G Data's version.

eXtendia's AVK Pro has RAV as the secondary enginer whereas G Data has Bitdefender.

If G Data offered daily updates and was faster in providing them, I'd buy in an instant.

Now I keep looking for alternatives.

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

On my system Extendia AVK was definitely heavier than AVK2005, despite two engines i came away quite impressed with AVK2005, and you can AFAIR choose which engines to run if you don't want both, but even with both engines it was ok and light on my system (Atlon XP 3200), it did use lots of memory (as i recall 30mb or thereabout), but didn't seem slow the computer.

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The eXtendia AVK Pro is rather heavy in real-time with the double-engines enabled but it can be tweaked to run without having much effect on system performance. BUT the RAV definitions are either few and far between now or have completely stopped and therefore the GDATA version would be the better option for protection, IMO.

As with Don's observations, I found the GDATA AVK much more lightweight than the eXtendia Pro version, even though it took up 35MB VM on my system.

And since you are not happy with the KAV software, this rules out the straight clones such as Steganos, Visnetic and Defender Pro.

Therefore, realistically you are left with either GDATA's AVK or F-Secure.

Trial and see which one suits you and your machine the best.

PS If you have recovered after your experience with KAV Pro, why not give KAV Personal a chance to impress? :D

8. halcyon

Thanks for the recommendations.

If I could make F-Secure run on-demand only and update at every OS boot (or manually) WITHOUT ANY resident piece of software of F-Secure running, I'd probably buy F-Secure.

But with the horrible Backweb and all the other pieces of F-Secure, I'm not going to touch it with a ten foot pole :)

[offtopic]
    As for KAV5: no.

It's apparently designed to detect hacks/serials/illegal copies so vehemently that it even shuts itself down on legit users. This is a design decision by Kaspersky, and I think it is a really stupid one (from the point of paid users). As such, I'm not going to waste my money on it.

If I pay for a software, I want it to work. Period. Not turn itself off and not warn the user that it has done so. I think it's really unprofessional from a security software to do so.

I respect if others feel differently, but it's not for me and I do not recommend it for beginners.

I'd be happy to use other software though, as long as it uses KAV defs (and offers intra-daily updates).
    [/offtopic]

9. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

When you buy AVK Pro 2005 you get daily updates now. FYI.

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

GDATA AVK offers KAV+BD updates once or twice a day on average. eScan has hourly updates but I wouldnt recommend it over AVK due to some niggling bugs, and also because program updates (not definition updates) are NOT automatic.

11. chia

chia Registered Member

As lk points out, GData daily updates are now included at no extra charge. You get the same updates as KAV users recieve. You can compare here and here to GData's site here for detailed info on the updates for the KAV engine.

As far as turn around on how fast GData gets the updates out to its users, it seems relatively fast from my limited observation of it. ONE example is this PC Mag article on response time of AV's to a Sober variant back in May. GData users had their KAV signature 17 minutes after regular KAV users. Albeit that is just one case. Take from it what you will.

If interested you can try and get GData AVK for 20Euro by going this route pointed out in this thread. The original poster never replied on how he faired but it could be worth a shot.

EDIT:Forgot to add that GData updates can be scheduled to check every hour. Usually 10+ updates per day for KAV and 1-3 updates per day for Bitdefender on average.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  12. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

:D This is true.

13. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

McAfee is no better and for that reason I never recommend it. Awful practice if you ask me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.