KAV and Raxco FD: compatibility problems?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Acadia, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

And THAT amazes me!! I would love to know what the difference is between my system and yours. o_O

Acadia

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Re: PG and BOClean : quote from Kevin 1-March-2005

I also trialed Kav under a secondary First Defense Snapshot. It seemed to work fine. I just didn't like it. No issues that I could tell relative to First Defense.

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

In the time that you trialed KAV did you ever do an on-demand scan of your entire system? If so, afterward sometime later, did you ever try to change snapshots without using the pre-boot screen, that is, from within the FD program itself using the drop-down menus?

Acadia

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Let's keep the thread on topic here folks - PG & BOClean. If you want to continue KAV/FD as a separate thread, drop me a line and I'll split it off as another topic.

Blue

Edit - this thread was split off from here, just noting that to provide future readers some continuity in the quotes given above.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  5. Peter2150

@Blue Thanks for the Split

@Acadia

What I did was updated my Secondary snapshot (called Rollback-RB). I then booted into RB and unistalled F-Prot. Rebooted. Then did a normal Install of KAV 5.0 Pro. Again after install I rebooted. Still in snapshot RB. I then let it do a full system scan. It scanned everything including the primary snapshot files. Scan showed me clean. I then went on line and played around with it online. Went to the eicar website, which it detected just fine. Kav was okay, just didn't offer enough to justify a change, and also the ADS file issue. When I was satisfied with my evaluation, I just used the First Defense GUI to boot back to the primary snapshot, and then did a copy to put the Rollback snapshot back like my primary.

Pete

6. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Acadia .
    Could you maybe start another thread about FD . I am trialing it . Wondering your thoughts and others . Thanks

7. Peter2150

Hi Hollywoodpc

Acadia and I are like echo's on the subject of First Defense. I will go to Software and Services and start a new thread, although it has been discussed before.

Pete

8. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

9. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Acadia

There is no doubt at all that your experience with Kav/FD, is as far apart from mine as they could be. As for my setup, pretty much everything that Peter uses, except av/firewall.

Since you PM'ed me some time ago,this what i've tried to do to provoke a reaction: I've done too many roll back's to remember, but probably 8-12, uninstalled/reinstalled Kav many times too (once without Istreams, didn't like it without ;) ), trialed all sorts of security-programs (some of them beta), used Total Uninstall as well, tried with/without Process Guard, BOClean (found out that i had the "spike-problem"), the latest thing i've tried is to do a reformat and install without FD.

Through all of this the only two problems i've come across is the one isolated to BOClean (and perhaps PG), the other is the bootup time is longer with FD installed (upto one minute), but i honestly don't know if this because of FD or Kav, as i have not tried without both Kav/FD. I think at this point it's safe to assume i don't any problems with Kav/FD (the longer bootup i can live with). :cool: :)

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Good grief, Don, I hope you did all of that for your own curiosity and not on my account!? Thanks for the info. Yeah, it's just one of those mysteries but I can't be the only one because Raxco does have a warning about using KAV on their website and it was there before I ever downloaded KAV (and I wish I had KNOWN that ;) )

Acadia

11. Don Pelotas

No, i do a lot of this all the time, just my own curiosity and also i wanted to be sure that i didn't have a problem, so i did it a little more than usual with eye on these two, i would find it hard to do without Kav/FD. :)
    Yes, i've seen that too, could it be that they are making sure that they are not liable. I for example have a par of Diesel-jeans that has a warning that they may only be washed at 30 or else there is no warranty, now i have never seen pair of jeans could not be washed at 40 or 60 (including the Diesels, they are doing just fine even at 60). To me it's just something we will see more and more of, but i'm not saying that your problem wasn't real, it clearly was. Just that they might have seen a potential conflict issue's with Kav 5.0, and it's a lot easier to issue a statement (placed so that only very few people would see it) on their site saying:
    Than actually fixing them with some programming. :)

Btw. Kaspersky 6/2006 will not use ADS/iStreams, are you game for a trial when it's released. :D ;) :D

12. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Oh yes, eventually. I just purchased NAV2005 so I will wait a while, besides, that gives some time for all the new bugs to be worked out of 6.0. :D

Acadia

13. Don Pelotas

True. Norton btw was the surprise of the AV-Comparatives for me. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.