kav and drweb both installed problem?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tahoma, Nov 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

just wondering
    ive got kav5 installed and thinking about isntalling the latest drweb. most likely ill disble kav (exe and service) and run drweb as my permanent protection and perhaps run manual kav scans once in a while

anyone know if this will lead to conflicts providing that one of them are 100 % disabled?

thanks

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I think that you will have problems...

I always heard that the dr.web should be installed alone and in an pc that never had an AV...

Maybe I'm wrong...

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

This is a very good combination, which I use on one of my boxes here.

However, in my experience, Dr Web can be a little sensitive to other installed AV's and it prefers a relatively 'clean' operating system.

On my NT systems, when installing Dr Web as a primary scanner, they seemed more stable when it was installed as the first AV.

I have ran( am running) Dr Web as my main scanner with both AVP 3.5 and KAV 4.5 as backup scanners without any problems, but only when Dr Web was the first AV on my systems. I have had, however, the occasional hiccup when trying the other way round.

I have not, however, tried this combination when KAV was v5.

My only suggestion, if you want to keep KAV 5 on your system initially, is to;

1. Take a snapshot/registry backup/ system restore/ disc image of your system. Then

2. Disable as much of KAV as you can, then try installing Dr Web. It will detect KAV and warn you that system instabilities may result. Ignore for now. Install.

After rebooting, if there are any problems, uninstall KAV, install the good Doctor, then install KAV 5 again.

Hopefully, someone else will come along and say that they have had no problems at all with this combination :)

4. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

I myself had a problem installing KAV and DrWeb together. YMMV, but as already said you are most likely to experience a problem. I'd stick to either KAV or DrWeb alone. Either one will keep you safe.

tECHNODROME

5. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

to answer my own question:
    it went fine for a while. then drweb stopped working. not sure why, and became impossible to uninstall. luckily i had installed it using total uninstall and all back to normal and kav

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Did you install Dr Web after KAV, tahoma ?
    If KAV is not slowing you down I would simply keep to this one AV on your system. Dr Web is not very friendly to other AV's on a lot of computers. KAV 5 is, I believe, of a similar nature. Much more twitchy, in this regards, compared to earlier versions.

7. maXmo

maXmo Guest

kav monitor must not be INSTALLED, disabling doesn't help. You can install kav4.5 scanner without monitor, but this is not applicable to kav5 (as I know).

8. shorty1

shorty1 Registered Member

Therein lies the problem because it's my understanding that it isn't possible to 100% disable KAV 5.0. Some component/module/driver remains regardless. (I recall reading about it and perhaps someone else can further enlighten us on the specifics)

Anyway, 4.5 = yes. 5.0 = no (as far as installing the SpiDer Guard... it might be possible to install the on-demand scanner though I don't see the benefit of that scenario)

That is my opinion anyway until someone proves otherwise. In which case I shall claim that my account was hijacked and I had nothing whatsoever to do with this post. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.