KAV 7 causes big slowdown

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Victek, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Re: KAV 7 is a big drag

Ahh. Ok. Thanks Sjoeii.

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

321 should be updated via the updater.... either tomorrow or a little later in the week. :)

3. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I had the same problem with KAV - made my system grind to a halt. It put more strain on it than funning F-Secure, SAS, AVG AS, Trojanhunter, Unhackme, SSM and SpyBlocker all at once. Im so glad I purchased a license for it - money well spent.....

I now use AVG AM and SAS with Unhackme ans Spyblocker - system runs like a dream.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the funny thing is, F-Secure is about 50 times bigger, a beast to load, but lighter then Kaspersky with my system once completed.:eek: ;)

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Ive never had a problem with f-secures performance, its onlyt
    the boot up speed that takes longer.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It really isnt to bad Chris. It gives me time to pluck my nose hairs.

7. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I've just installed the new Kisv7 on a new computer and it seems to be working fine.I got rid of some of the eye candy and shut off some things I didn't need starting up.I'm thinking that some of those start up programs can cause it to conflict with kis.This is just a thought of course.:)

8. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

I agree. I ran KAV .321 for a week and my pc was never slower. Especially web browsing. Some pages never loaded full images. Went back to NOD32 which is where I will stay till my license is up.

9. 031

031 Registered Member

it is my second week with kav7 and it is certainly slower..........
    Yet the gui is great and updates are very frequent . I installed it because i was just curious about the chkdsk issue . Nothing happened in my case . Everything went smoothly . Back in 2006 when i tried active virus shield (kav6 engine) my file system was severely affected by the object ids and i had to reformat . Version 7 seems to be more stable . It could be slow but i have to admit that it is probably the best engine also...............

10. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

That's strange.
    Why would that be you think?

11. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

lol the most common fix is to tell the guy to enable the compatibility mode on..as for slowdown about 50% of users that had kav had it..i personaly was a big fan of kav until i decided to use RAID 0..ow boy my hdd's were screaming when kav was working

12. Dieselman

Compatibility mode did nothing to help when I was using KAV. Web browsing was the worst. I was told to shut off port 80 filtering but then thats defeats the purpose of the web scanner. KAV seems great but there is no need to slow downs someones pc for needed protection.

13. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I've been using KIS 7 again now for about two weeks, and I haven't noticed any slow downs. I think it loads as fast as some of the suites I've tried. Faster than some others.

14. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Good to hear Graystoke.
    Thanx

15. subset

subset Registered Member

Do you use Firefox, if so there is a strange issue with Web-AV and network.http.pipelining.
    If pipelining is activated in Firefox many websites require more than a minute to load, a few sites even never finish loading at all.

And there is generally a known "slow browsing problem" for a few users.
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=58737

Cheers

16. Dieselman

I know that and it did not change a thing. Even slow in IE.

17. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i notice 0 difference between .321 it runs the same as the prior build did no slowdowns no effect on browsing ... just takes maybe 5 seconds longer at boot up than previous did nothing major. i disable startup scan and i have hueristics set to medium and some places max... i also disable the banner blocker as this tends to be what causes the issues with the pages not loading properly in firefox...this banner blocker blocks a lot more than just banners lol... sometimes prevents a page from loading at all.. disable it it works fine..

i have no on a test machine with a triple boot with vista premium tested kis on one, nod 32 on one, and avira on the other since these were always my top picks.. from the press of the button to choose which os to boot into (vista kis, vista nod, vista avira as i called them so i knew which was which)

there was almost no percievable difference in boot up time between them maybe a few seconds nothing i would consider a problem.

the one thing imp where kis faulters is in its scan time... its just simply imo takes way to long to do a full computer scan.. nearly double the time either of the others took.

but overall browsing and office etc i see no effect at all.. imo to be honest i think nod had the slowest browsing out of the three...

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

have you turned off the banner blocker. this is what fixed any browsing issues i had

19. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Isn't the iChecker iSwift somewhat useless when you are updating defs every hour. I presume that once you update the defs all files must be scanned again as you could have miss some viruses with the last set of defs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.