KAV 7 and network printer

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Howard Kaikow, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I changed my default printer to a network printer.
    How do I stop KAV from monitoring the printer?

2. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Try adding the network printer to the TrustedZone (kav settings => options => threats and exclusions). i don't remember the exact path in v.7

3. Howard Kaikow

The issue is not the network printer.

Excel uses the properties of the current default printer in establishing the values for the Excel PageSetUp object.

The printer is not directly used, but KAV seems to be monitoring something or other. Happens with both Lexmark E312 connected via parallel port to Win 2000 desktop, and Brother HL-2170W hooked up to the router.

This has always been a problem, but I had not realized that KAV was exacerbating the situation. THe problem is far more pronounced with th enetwork printer.

Probably need to tel KAV to trust the drivers for each printer.

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

That makes a bit difficult to find the right files and/or the whole printer process to exclude from monitoring.

Does it help if momentarily disable the ProactiveProtection?

5. Howard Kaikow

Thee problem is deeper.

The program that uses Excel's Pagesetup object is going to be made available as "freeware".

It is expected that there will 10's of thousands, perhaps, a few million users.
    Each will be using various printers, connected in various ways, not to mention, with various AV software.

I'm not about to tell folkes to disable ANY AV, or AV option. I'll mention the issue in the covering documentation, and I display a splash screen warning about the long time. I have to display the splash screen, otherwise the user might think that the program is hung.

In effect, KAV is monitoring what Excel is, perhaps, doing to the printer properties. I guess that protects from evil doers. All my program is doing is setting the page margins, header/footer content, and telling Excel how to display the page. IMNSHO, KAV is being a bit overzealous here.

I do not know what effect other AV programs will have.

6. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

What is the result if you set Kav to exclude excel files from being monitored?Do you still get the delay?

7. Howard Kaikow

There is no point to such a test.

8. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

There is because you can have kav exclude the excel application activity,which should stop kav monitoring any file that are launched/used by excel as it aquires the printer and and any ports or network activity associated with them

9. Howard Kaikow

That would not do any good.
    It is the printer that has to be not monitored.
    Each app, e.g., in Office, may access the printer properties differently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.