KAV 6.0 Prototpye Released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ....., Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Ta Tahoma . Fingers getting twitchy on the install button for the set up lol .

2. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Yep, firewall can be disengaged in the settings, like parental controlls, anti-spam, almost everything can be switched of.

Thanks!

3. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

projected scan time is 55 mins, which is i would say 5 mins longer than before. altho i did just install hl2, maybe thats why its taking longer. but thers an option to scan 'new and changed files only' which id guess would speed it up

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I hope that this could be very improved...

Thanks

5. solarpowered candle

Password protection will be good . So it may not be disabled .
    I like the firewall anti hacker so far .
    It is well put together for average users like myself. Very nice. Also very lite on my system . Proberbly wont wish to afford it though lol.

6. solarpowered candle

My first scan took 14 mins to scan 24000 files .
    one hour later I rescanned and it only took 4 mins

Thought I would recheck that .. so scanned a few mins later and it took less than 2 mins to scan the 24000. I have not changed the recommended settings to scan new and used files. It will be interesting to see how long your next scan takes .

7. haha

haha Guest

I saw this coming... A few months ago, I told people in the KAV forum that they'd be releasing exactly this kind of product. I even guessed the name correctly (minus the "2006" part).

Regarding "resource usage"... What an abused term. What's a "resource"? If you mean memory, say "memory". I couldn't care much less about how much RAM it uses, as long as it doesn't have a memory leak. I care about how much CPU it uses, and I'll chew off both of my own arms if the final version of this Kaspersky Lab product can come even close to NOD32, without using those wonderful, desperate rootkit techniques to hide their ADS.

Kaspersky Anti-Hacker was an almost-useless firewall... Almost no outbound control whatsoever. Hopefully they spent more than 10 minutes on improving that, too.

8. solarpowered candle

theres often a few sour grapes in the bowl.

9. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

I'm one of the few NAV enthusiasts around, but even I think "HaHa"-guest's post is in questionable taste .. KAV is still the best, detection-wise, and this new "suite" does look promising, IMHO. My response to posts like that is, they actually "backfire": NOD32 is a good AV but posts like that don't help their cause, IMHO .. it isn't necessary to put down another product in order to promote your own .. sort of like avoiding negative ads and negative campaigns in politics because they often backfire on their proponents. ;)

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

So is the new KAV using ADS tags after all? If it is taking dramatically less time to scan after the first scan then it must be. I'm disappointed if that is true. I was about ready to install it and try it. But not if there ANY chance it is using ADS tagging.

11. Culvin

Culvin Registered Member

KAV6 might be using a central database, like the KAV5 iChecker technology. Someone with KAV6 installed could do a full scan and then boot into safe mode and run a program to check for ADS. That would probably let us know whether or not KAV6 is using ADS again.

12. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Another way is to send a file that has been already scanned [and hence tagged] into a FAT32 volume... Windows will shout that "extra information" will be lost... In KAV 5 it was "$KAVICHS" if I'm not mistaken.... Similarly, KAV 6 PreBeta must be using some terminology.
    A cheap method for a person who doesn't want another meaningless entry in the Programs menu ;)

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

This prototype looks really promising and complete (although its missing features at the moment). If they realize everything that we see now i might switch to Kaspersky afterall :)

14. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

ntfs streams eraser from sysinternals find no ADS

15. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

It won't if KAV is still installed and active.

Blue

16. .....

..... Registered Member

I restored an image from earlier in the day (no KAV products installed) and NTFS streams remover found nothing here aswell (on my other partitions).

Looking good - 6.0 has been running here for a good few hours. No problems

17. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Damn it, ..... . If you don't stop this, then my curiousity will the best of me, and i normally won't install anything that doesn't use ADS (hardcore ADS-fan, you see ;))........ :D

18. .....

..... Registered Member

Don,

Curiousity made me install it, however, the way it runs made me leave it on :D .

If you have imaging software theres no excuse not to install it!!!
    Im sure we can add some ads tags too :D

19. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

This is reassuring ;) , i may try my luck in a couple of days. :cool:

20. .....

..... Registered Member

Thats good to here... im sure you wont be disapointed :D

21. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

the way this is going ill definately be running this until the key expires in september, or until a new beta and new beta key is available. cant begin to describe how happy i am with it, its just unbelieveably good for a beta, heck it would be good for a final release too

22. .....

..... Registered Member

Just noticed something, dont know if its unique to me or what...

Check out your AVP 6.0 installation folder, theres two folders: "pdmhist" and "Report", is it just me or do these contain huge files? Deleting them causes no issues.

Guess ill have to schedule the deletion of the these. I'll email Kaspersky too.

23. RAV

RAV Registered Member

I would be very interested in this suite once they activate all of the features. I just looked at several suites and had to go back to Zone Alarm Pro Security Suite since nothing else could match it for an integrated solution. Looks like Kaspersky is going to offer some serious competition. Most of the programs like this that I tested made my PC slow down (3 GHz, 1 GB RAM), so if they can avoid this slowdown I will look forward to trying once it is in a near complete beta form. I liked KAV 5 personal except for the ADS issue so hopefully they drop that so called feature.

24. waters

waters Registered Member

Ive been running it for a few hours now.
    Just done update .It says protection out of date.3 6 2005..If i now update it says fully updated,yet i have a warning saying out of date .Anyone else have this problem.

25. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

RAV, theres very little slowdown if u check 'scan new and changed files only' its really about as fast as drweb on my machine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.