KAV 5 And Anti-Spyware

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Graystoke, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Since purchasing KAV 5 Personal a few days ago, I'd like to get some opinions on anti-spyware software I'm using. Here is the list.......

KAV 5 Personal with extended database.
    SpywareGuard
    SpywareBlaster
    SpyBot S & D

I really don't want to run a RTM spyware like Microsoft AntiSpyware. I figure with SpwareGuard and SpywareBlaster, and KAV's extended database, I'm ok. What do you think?

Also, using KAV's extended database is a good thing, right?

PS......I am using a firewall, Outpost Pro.

XP Home SP2

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Why use so many programs when you have KAV ?

3. Graystoke

I had those programs installed before I started using KAV. Which do you suggest I eliminate? SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster? The less programs I have to use, the better, as far as I'm concerned. :)

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

SpywareGuard is also resident if i remember correctly. I'd cancel this one. SpywareBlaster protects your from cookies and known malware sites.

5. Graystoke

Ok, SpywareGuard gone, SpywareBlaster stays.

6. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Graystoke, what I have done is to install MS AS for on-demand use only. That way, it will not slow down the computer, but is available to double check KAV.

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

If it were my system even with KAV I would keep all of the "on-demand" programs and even add AdAware. Since they are on-demand they use up no resources and they are fun to play with. The one exception to this is SpywareBlaster which is constantly protecting you but does this without using resources, one gem of a program. Cheers.

Acadia

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I run kav 5 and I run the same antitrojan and antispyware progs that I would run with any other av program. Why take a chance. I think Kav is an outstanding program but it is primarily an antivirus, it does pick up a lot of other malware but like I said earlier. Why take a chance. ;)

9. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I would definitely keep Spywareblaster (only works with IE & Firefox), Spybot, Ad-Aware and MS-AntiSpyware (All on-demand).

I personally have Kav, Spywareblaster and Spy Sweeper with real-time protection (Payware) as my main protection, i do have a lot of other stuff, but that besides the point, because i have those more because of interest rather than because it necessary. Those three have kept me virus, worm, trojan, spyware and adware free, not one single time have i been infected despite doing some rather risky surfing when i'm in the mood, but as Bigc says why take a chance, at least keep all the free ones. :)

10. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Graystoke,

I think your setup is fine. I would probably add Ad-aware and possibly Ewido Free to your line-up for some layered protection.

Personally, I have gone more down the "pro-active protection" lane, where I am attempting to prevent any kind of malware (trojan, spy, keylogger, rootkit) from installing on my system. Thus I lean more toward products like ProcessGuard and RegDefend as opposed to spyware detectors. But, I think KAV is highly competent and with reasonable surfing habits, you should consider yourself well protected with your line-up, especially if you do some backup on-demand scans now and then.

Rich

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I assume that your browser is IE if you are using spywareblaster. They say Firefox is excellent but some web pages do not render properly without Active X . So it would be good to keep spywareblaster anyway. I would not remove any of the programs you have listed because spyware detecion is fairly low compared to antivirus and what one program misses another will intercept. A real time monitor is a good idea Try Spybots Tea Timer if you don't want Microsoft Anti Spyware.

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

As an alternative to firefox you might consider Opera. I don't have problems rendering pages with it. and it is very secure.

13. Graystoke

I think I'll give MS-AntiSpyware, on-demand only a try along with my SpywareBlaster and SpyBot S & D.

I do have Ewido free. I forgot to list that.

Thanks everyone. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.