Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by solarpowered candle, Dec 17, 2003.
This is very good news. Thanks a lot for the heads up, SPC.
SPC, you always keep the track of events!
I would like to post Important notes for verion 5.0.
Copyright (c) 2003 Kaspersky Lab
1. To repair Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Express mail banks, you should have these programs installed on your computer.
2. For correct functioning of KasperskyT Anti-Virus for Windows Desktops under Microsoft Windows NT 4.0/2000/XP under non-Administrator users, they should have Modify rights for the following folder:
1. KasperskyT Anti-Virus for Windows Desktops protects personal computers from the activities of harmful programs that interfere with the normal operation of software and that damage information stored within computer file systems.
2. Technologies developed by Kaspersky Lab and used in KasperskyT Anti-Virus for Windows Desktops allow implementation of the following features:
- Real-time antiviral protection of the file system against harmful programs;
- Search and neutralization of harmful programs on demand;
- Comprehensive protection of e-mail;
- Blocking of dangerous scripts coming from the Internet;
- Isolation of suspicious objects in quarantine and saving copies of the initial documents in the backup storage;
- Maintenance of up-to-date status of antiviral bases of the application.
1. Antiviral functionality
- Real-time protection of file system objects and on-demand check-up;
- About 40 (in more than 90 versions) supported archives and installation systems!
- More than 350 (in more than 900 versions) supported utilities of packing executable modules!
- File repair on hard disks, removable media, and in network resources; recovery of NTFS data stream and boot sectors of the disks; recovery of the system memory used by processes and objects loaded during boot of the operating system; recovery of embedded OLE objects;
- Postponed processing of suspicious and infected objects; request for actions to perform with detected suspicious and infected objects after user-initiated on-demand scan;
- Scan and repair in ZIP, ARJ, CAB and RAR archives;
- Monitoring of mail traffic sent and received through SMTP/POP3 protocols, regardless of the mail client;
- Detection and repair in Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Express mail banks;
2. Auxiliary functionality
- Isolation of suspicious objects in a special storage area - Quarantine;
- Backup of infected objects to a special storage area before repair or deletion;
- Automatic and on-demand update of antiviral bases;
- Automatic detection of the least busy update server of Kaspersky Lab;
- Resumption of updates download in the event of a disconnect;
- Possibility of canceling the latest application and antiviral bases update in the event of any problems after installation;
- Correct installation of the application if antiviral software of other manufacturers is detected.
3. User interface
- Easy-to-use intuitive interface with indication of the overall status of the system protection and antiviral bases;
- Management of Quarantine and Backup storages using advanced graphic interface;
- Easy settings for real-time protection with possibility of selecting one of three levels of real-time protection: Maximum Protection, Recommended, and High Speed;
- Quick access to infected objects search, antiviral bases update, and task execution log review;
- Review of finished tasks reports;
- Support of Unicode extended national code pages;
- Integration with Microsoft Windows Explorer.
4. Performance and resources consumption
- Performance of KasperskyT Anti-Virus for Windows Desktops is increased almost 3 times compared to the version Personal 4.0.x owing to implementation of proprietary technologies iChecker(tm) and iStreams(tm);
- Amount of RAM used is decreased almost in half thanks to use of a new antiviral engine.
LIMITATIONS AND KNOWN BUGS
- Errors can occure while curing in mail bank opened by MS Outlook Express. In order to detect and cure in MS Outlook Express mail banks, close MS Outlook Express application.
- Errors can occure while running simultaneously Kaspersky Anti-Virus and software utilizing NuTCRACKER library.
- An option to send suspicious files to Kaspersky Lab directly from Quarantine is temporary turned off. To send a suspicious file to Kaspersky Lab please use a corresponding link on Support page of the main window.
- Real-time mail protection settings are changed only after restarting Kaspersky Anti-Virus.
- Quarantine option "Delete Objects After" doesn't work for files placed to Quarantine. These files are deleted from Quarantine after default time (30 days).
- Quarantine option "Maximum Size" doesn't work. Maximum size of Quarantine is set to default value (20 MB).
- Backup option "Delete Objects After" doesn't work for files placed to Backup catalog. These files are deleted from Backup catalog after default time (30 days).
- An error "files are used by other programs" can occure while deinstalling Kaspersky Anti-Virus. Mostly to continue deinstallation it's enought to press Retry.
- The opened main window as well as the scanning dialog sometimes disappears from Windows Task Bar.
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus tray icon is not changed automatically after real-time protection status changed.
- Infected objects can remain after applying recommended action to all files placed to Quarantine.
- Scanning and curing in password protected self-extracted archives is not performed.
- Long file names are cut short in reports.
MS Windows 98
- FAR Manager cannot be installed while running Kaspersky Anti-Virus.
- It's impossible sometimes to run antiviral scanning directly from MS Windows Explorer - an error "Kaspersky Anti-Virus 5.0 for Windows Desktops is not running" occures.
Thumbs up to KAV Lab. Looking forward to the Final release!!!
In addition to IgorK post I would like to add that this is a BETA version and as such care should be taken - it should ideally be installed on a test machine - not in a working environment.
Users should back up important files prior to beta testing the software.
If you report any errors to email@example.com then please include info on PC, operating system (inc service pack info), and detail of the error.
This way we can fix the errors as soon as possible.
Will there be a Professional Version, too? If so, what will be the major differences between the Personal and the Pro versions?
well you know I like KAV but I have a question?
It has come to my attention recently that some AV
producers are not adding def's for keyloggers with
legal application (with EULA).
This bothers me. Since when should an AV decide they will not cover an Keylogger just because it is a commercial product?
I will not name names but i will say, I asked two
vendors here to add the defs for iopus-starr which
have their forums here at Wilders and so far neither have added it. In fact one replied to me sayine because the program contained a "legal application (with EULA)." they would not include it in their def's
My question to you is this>>>
Do you KAV,,, discriminate a commercial keylogger form a non commercial keylogger in your def's?
Please provide a simple answer for a simple man.
commercial keyloggers and remote control tools are included in the updates_x(for legal reasons).. not recommended for everyday use..LOL and supposedly not available for this beta..
use 'em only when you strongly suspect you got something on your 'puter..
don't know if that starr-logger is included..
i think i read somewhere that personal pro will not have this upgrade.. at least for a while it will stay as 4.5xx ( Igor posted about this @kav forum)
This one (version 5.0) is called KAV for Desktops. I guess there will be some Pro version, do not know for sure. This is just a beta, main perpose is to test the new engine. Probably there will be changes in GUI and some other feature added (like updating from "updates_x" folder). Let's wait and see.
yeah i have the beta installed.. looks good so far.. the new engine sure does speed up the monitor..
I can't wait
It looks really good at the moment, and its only going to get better
I guess not getting an answer, answered my question then.
I will look into it further. I am not saying KAV does this at all. That is why I asked what their policy was on this issue.
If I find The antivirus I am currently using detects some comercial Key loggers but refuses to detect others, then I will stop using it. It is that simple.
If KAV does not disscriminate between comercial and non-comercial key-loggers, I will start using it instead of my current AV
Are you telling me KAV has a seperate set of updates that will cover comercial remote control and comercial key loggers? If that is true, that would be fine with me. Other companies are flat out refusing to detect some with their (released to the public Def's) and at the same time detecting others. Which does not seem fair to me I guess.
ALSO. if their is something nasty on my computer, it means I put it there myself LOL
I do that all the time.
Happy Holidays to ALL
It is true. You are right.
If a keylogger is installed invisibly and works invisibly for a user it is considered a trojan.
If a keylogger has an installer, but can work in invisible mode - added to riskware.
All other keyloggers are added to x-files.
"- Correct installation of the application if antiviral software of other manufacturers is detected."
Does this mean this is an intelligent installer?
well as usual I screwwd it up again LOL
I installed the new version 5.0 and love the GUI.
but since I can not ever leave something that is working alone, I tried to update the defs from the FTP site. I just copied everything from the update_ext folder to my KAV bases folder and my key became invalid
something about the blacklist key is what the spash screen mentioned.
Included in the splash screen were a link to the kav http:// update page and a help button. neither seemed to work for me by clicking on them.
So now my KAV is broken again
Dear all, who betatests or simply gives a try to version 5.0 of KAV for Desktops.
There is a limitation in this version, which concerns download of anti-virus definitions. Updating works only automatically, executed via GUI (Graphical User Interface). If you somehow copy anti-viruse bases (files with extentions .avc) to folder "\...bases\" and restart KAV 5.0 for Desktops, the program will not function at all. This is not a bug, no report is needed. Kindly bear in mind that performing a manual update will make your KAV 5.0 unusable.
Thanks Igor K.
I found that out the hard way LOL
I even tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it. The install appeared to go ok but the program still crashes afterwards. SO guess I will be reformating again
to give it another try. I was just wanting to try out the EXT or X files updates on some keyloggers I have is all.
He he. Finally found someone worse than me for screwing something up.
Illukka ans Igor
Does new KAV5 slows down computer like old KAV4x??
If so im not intersting in beta testing because with KAV4x my PC was to slow and was unable to play games.
What would be minimum requirements for KAV 5 ?
It's a little better than the current KAV that way, but it's much slower in scan time. BTW, I think KAV rules! The new KAV will have tweaking, I'm sure..
KAV 5.0 works two three times faster because of new technologies iChecker and iStreams. But it is only a beta, so be careful, install it only on a test machine.
I did not see any diferences in the speed of 4.5 and 5.0 version.
May be little diferences, but never two - three times faster
kav5 is pretty fast here (when its working, dont worry, when it comes to screwing up im the king)
i havent read the documentation but it seems to me that it only scans files once, and wont scan them again unless the files have changed. making it slow at first but speeding up after its been running for some time
i may be wrong tho....maybe it just seems to go faster right before it becomes corrupted
Separate names with a comma.