KAV 2009 - What firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tesk, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesk

tesk Registered Member

Hi,

I've been using and Comodo and Avast for some years. But because of the situation on the internet I decided to buy Kaspersky Antivirus. But my biggest problem is - I need a firewall, but Comodo and Online Armor is incompatible with Kaspersky AV. Currently im using Kerio, but that is only as a second solution.

I can use Comodo but I will get some BSODs from time to time. OA won't even start. Currently I have 240 days left of my license, so I want change to KIS (I must admit that my next buy is a Internet Security).

But does anyone use KAV with a firewall? I need a good firewall. Does anyone know a good firewall there is compatible with KAV 2009? Or does anyone know how to make OA compatible with KAV 2009?

My computersoftware: Windows Vista HP 32 bit, SAS (LifeTime), MBAM (On-demand), KAV 2009. :)

2. gery

gery Registered Member

PCTOOLS Firewall might work well or GW

3. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

Tesk, Just checking - When using comodo did you install D+ with KAV aswell? It's possible that defense+ and KAV are conflicting with each other. You can probably install just the firewall component without D+ and it should be okay.

If you want to, If you posted on the comodo forums about this problem you would more than likely get a reply as quite a few people use KAVS there :) if not thats ok, Hope everything goes well for you!

@gery, sending you a pm :)

4. tesk

tesk Registered Member

Gery - Im a little concerned about anti leak testing and i tried version 3 of PCTools firewall on my test computer and it comsumed a lot of ressources. I don't know if version 4 does the same.

Kyle1420 - I used Comodo with D+. But I was getting tired of D+, so you are absolutely right, I could install the firewall only and then maybe install Threatfire or whatever, as my HIPS (I like HIPS - When I "play" with viruses to test antivirus software, enter can be a dangerous button :D )

Kyle, I will uninstall Sunbelt Firewall (Kerio) and install Comodo with firewall only.

Thanks for your replies. Keep them coming. Can anyone confirm that KAV 2009 and Comodo Firewall (Only firewall) works well?

5. gery

gery Registered Member

PCTOOLS is an average light FW . leak tests? do not worry

6. tesk

tesk Registered Member

Gery - I will test PCTools Firewall in the nearest future, based on your recommendation. Currently, im testing the new OA on my old XP computer, but as soon as it is tested, I will install PCTools Firewall Plus :)

However, im using Comodo (without D+) and KAV 2009. I can't say if this is working yet, but within a week or two I know if it is working.

Thanks for your replies.

Great forum!

7. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Also don't forget to try Privatefirewall :D

8. tesk

tesk Registered Member

Ges - Is that a good one? I can see you are using it, would you mind to post/send me some screenshots? That make it easier to desire if the average user can figure it out. That is why im testing firewalls. To find out if the average computeruser can figure how it works. :)

9. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

Simple, use KIS, kaspersky own FW is only solution which will run properly with all "KAV" features enabled...

10. tesk

tesk Registered Member

Einsturzende -> But I bought KAV. And I will not waste the money on buying KIS instead of using my license on KAV first. Therefore, I am seeking a firewall which don't conflict with KAV 2009. :)

But yes, my next buy will be an internet security. Either Eset or KIS.

11. GES/POR

It's a handsoff firewall, first 3 days runs in training mode, only advice that if u sure ur system is clean, after that u will receive very lil popups unless u install a program or malware - done really well in the past at Matousec and Firewal Leak Tester, support is topnotch - whenever i send an email i receive a response within 1 or 2 hours. What i love about it, is that it is very easy to use - everythingh is well explained and makes sense to "newbie Jack", also everytime u start ur pc it will display a balloon tip explaining easily about firewall functions. Recently i noticed that it has a feature that will popup whenever a program is using more resources then normal, i think its called anamoly detector VERY CoOl :ninja:

Also its got Dynamic Security Agent integrated wich is very powerfull classical yet easy to use HIPS, c this advanced malwares test: http://membres.lycos.fr/nicmtests/Dynamic-Security-agent-tests/DSA_index.htm

btw i do have a discount code for it that i requested from them :thumb:

As requested: http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/Privatefirewall-Screenshot-567.html

12. tesk

tesk Registered Member

GES - Do you know DSA from the same vendor as PrivateFirewall?

13. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

KAV local proxy is problem here, if you enable scanning on e.g. port 80, traffic triggered by xy application on port 80 will be reported as KAV traffic by your 3rd. party firewall. So your FW will become useless

14. GES/POR

15. tesk

tesk Registered Member

Einsturzende - Interesting, will have a look into that.

GES - I can see DSA didn't perform very well with matousec, so I am just leaving that thought again. But I like some of it features. But I can't test it all :D

16. GES/POR

Privatefirewall wich is including DSA reached the highest level possible at matousec wich is 10+ ;) , not the highest score do but as u can c overall it does well with tests - consistency is what mather most

17. markcc

markcc Registered Member

Privatefirewall kinda looks like Zonealarm to me.

18. cryon

cryon Registered Member

Hi,

Am using KAV 8.0.0.454 and Outpost Security Suite. Running with no problem(s) for the past 4 months. Using OS Win XP SP3.

19. tesk

tesk Registered Member

I thought that KAV 2009 was conflicting with a lot of software. I had a lot of troubles, but I can see that it is working with some firewalls. And that is good.

I will see if Comodo and KAV can work together.

Thanks for all your replies! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.