KAV 2009 - cant open JPG and WM crashes PC

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ChrisP, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I installed KAV again yesterday and have found that there are two probs:

1) Sometimes, when I select a number of MP3 files to play, WM Player will start, play the 1st track for a few seconda, then the PC crashes and restarts.

2) I am unable to open any JPG files - I click on them and the hour glass appears for a fraction of a second, then nothing happens.

Can anyone advise as to the prob and a cure?

2. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

What version did you install? .357 or 454?

3. Niels

Niels Registered Member

The best thing to troubleshoot is going into eventviewer:

Press the windows button together with r now type eventvwr press enter. Open the application log and system log. Sort the events by pressing on the type colomn name and see if there are any entries when you have that behaviour.

Another thing you can do is disable auto-rebooting. So normally you will see a blue screen with an error message sometimes also in the right corner witch file,service the crash might have cause. To stop auto rebooting on errors click start,right click on (my) computer choose properties,press on advanced system settings,under system repair and restore settings press on settings,uncheck automatic restart on system failure. Write the error message down. If you are using windows xp you need to enable also the option to write a minidump. If your computer crashes again. Please do this press the windows button together with r again now type %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP press enter. Copy it to a different location because otherwise the file will be gone if you send an error report to Microsoft. To point out the cause you can open the .dmp and examine it so you can find out if Kaspersky is the problem.
    Follow these instructions.

4. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

454 - but the media player problew occured with the previous version as well

5. the mul

the mul Registered Member

Hi Chris,

I have also installed the latest Kav 2009 version 454 and it is working perfect on my system, just playing music now with windows media player, on my 8th song without any issues and I have loaded all my holiday snaps of spain and l can open and look at all the JPG pictures and many more without any problems, It does seem very strange you are experiencing this problem, but no two systems are the same I suppose.

THE MUL

6. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I have discovered the prob I believe. The issue about not opening JPG files is down to the latest security update for Windows Live Photo Gallery. I remember an update installing and I heve found it was this that for some reason stopps it opening JPG files when you double click on them - even though the file association is there. I uninstalled Windows Live Photo Gallery and reinstalled it and it worked fine - until the security update installed.

The issue with Media Player is (I think) down to the files I was trying to play. I have tested it with several MP3 files and its okay, but when I try to play "Ippu Do - Radio Fantasy" album, it crashes - possibly due to the japanese character set in the files properties. This said, the problem only occured after installing KAV.

7. the mul

the mul Registered Member

Hi Chris,

Nice to hear that you tracked down the issues you were having and lets hope nothing else appears in the near future.
    I know what it is like to track down and fix issues it can take hours sometimes and be very annoying.

THE MUL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.