Katie DriveSentry

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DriveSentry, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

What do you mean by "use for FREE"? I thought DriveSentry always had a free version...o_O o_O

Thanks

2. DriveSentry

DriveSentry Registered Member

Hi Nagan,

Thankyou for your comments and feedback on DriveSentry 3.0.3.1.

In answer to your questions...

1) The high CPU usage on first run is a known issue which is currently being looked into by the development team.

2) The GUI and its proportions are due to be addressed in the near future but not a priority for the moment.

3) Ensure that your firewall is not blocking DriveSentry’s access to the online Advisor facility. Also ensure that your local database (level can be viewed through the Options screen) is fully up-to-date before starting an on demand virus scan.

4) The scan refers to the local database unless you have set this otherwise through the Options screen.

5) It seems that you had not logged into Advisor or a problem had occurred which had logged you out. This is why the login/ welcome screen appeared when DS was attempting to contact Advisor. This has been looked into and the screen which appears is necesary in this instance, but should not say "Welcome to DriveSentry"!!!

We will be releasing a new build this week which can be used for FREE or upgraded for a small one off payment to enable automatic trickle feed signature updates. This build will include improvements which will address some of the issues which you have been seeing.

Will keep eveyone posted on the release of DriveSentry FREE.1 ;) (3.1)!!

thanks again for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Kate. :D

3. DriveSentry

HI 337,

The release will be out as SOON as possible. Dont worry, i will keep you posted on the forum and the version of DriveSenty that you are running on your machine will inform you when the new version of DriveSentry is available to download.

I hope you enjoy!!

kind regards,

Kate.

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hey Katie,

sorry, if you have already mentioned, but ...

what is the changelog for 3.1?

5. DriveSentry

Hi Someone,

Very good question. DriveSentry has been available to use for free after the trial period, HOWEVER key features of the product where previously disabled (auto advisor was disabled, access to the advisor database was disabled, which also meant that updates to the local database were no longer available. DS would still monitor all writes to your drives but would include no automation and advice).

DriveSentry 3.1 - AKA DriveSentry FREE.1 remains fully functional after the first 30 days. Using the free version you will be alerted when your local DB needs updating. It is posssible to upgrade for a small one off payment to recieve realtime, hassle free signature updates which take place in the background.

I hope this helps - DriveSentry FREE.1 is definately the way forward!!:D

I hope this answers your question

kind regards

Kate.;)

6. DriveSentry

Hi C.S.J

The change log for the imminent release of DriveSentry 3.1 (FREE.1) will be updated and available for your viewing on the DriveSentry forum following the release.

Will keep you posted on this.

thanks C.S.J

kind regards,

Kate.

7. Someone

Hi

With DriveSentry Offline Database and Online Database, which one uses more memory?

Thanks

8. Someone

Hi

I tried DriveSentry again but every time I open sandboxed Firefox my computer get a Blue Screen of Death, so I had to uninstall it.

The security programs running are:
    AntiVir free
    Threatfire free
    Sandboxie free

Thanks

9. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

SBXIE conflicts with many software but good you reported here.

10. nagan

nagan Registered Member

Kind of you for the reply.Looking forward to the next edition of DS!

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hi guys, I saw the last post about SandboxIE conflicting and wanted to chime in that (as far as I can tell just doing normal operations), I'm not having any conflicts. I just put DriveSentry on my system today, but it does seem nice and quiet. I was wondering though if there were any missing protections (particular files/folders or whatever) or settings that I should think about manually adding or are things just dandy right out of the box?

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

If I only had a dollar for every time the word "next" is posted in this thread, I could buy a barrel of oil.:cautious:

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You don't have much faith in DriveSentry?

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I didnt say that. I dont have much faith in waiting on the word "next" though. At some point it has to become "now."

15. tbay2athome

tbay2athome Registered Member

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Understood. And also, I need to change my view of the program. While it DOES seem to be a nice program with a lot of features, after a few hours of running it it does indeed conflict with SandboxIE. After closing out a sandboxed IE and also Firefox, I get reboots. Once the system comes back up, it hangs. This repeats over and over again, so, sadly, I had to remove yet another program that looked like it was going to work well.

At this point I'm not sure who I should be getting frustrated with, SandboxIE for conflicting with so many different security software apps or the other security software apps that don't seem to be tested with the more popular solutions like SandboxIE. I think I'm done with HIPS and semi-HIPS stuff for a while, even when I'm careful about choosing which products to use I'm getting burned. I can't say that the fault lies only with the developers, it's just a frustrating thing to have to go through when all you're trying to do is go beyond the basics to protect against the newer threats.

17. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Re: DriveSentry

Im a sucker for non rental software and also purchased this as it seems good value for what it offers and so far no conflicts with any software that i use.I would also agree that the tray icon is not very nice ..to small and cant really see what it is .If this is a British product how about a nice lion on a union jack background.....though i guess it may be a little too PC these days for such emblems..... (at least in the UK )it is.
    ellison

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Re: DriveSentry

hopefully, they have taken onboard my suggestions.

19. DriveSentry

Hi dw426,

Straight out of the box DriveSentry protects all common folders (inc documents, pictures, videos, favourites, music), all common filetypes (inc doc filetypes, pic filetypes, music filetypes, video filetypes, office filetypes and program filetypes) and system settings vulnerable to attack (inc reg loactions and directories under the headings Internet settings, General System Settings, and Startup Settings). Exact system setting locations which are being protected can be viewed within the advanced screen of the protection window.

If you have documents saved in unique locations (eg not in your PC's default docs, pics, videos, music folders) it would be wise to add these additional locations to your protected areas.

I hope this helps. Thanks for your question.

Kind regards,

Kate.:D

20. tbay2athome

tbay2athome Registered Member

21. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hello Kate, thank you for letting me know the extent of DriveSentry's protection :) I do have one issue I hopefully can get some help clearing up though. From an earlier post of mine: "While it DOES seem to be a nice program with a lot of features, after a few hours of running it it does indeed conflict with SandboxIE. After closing out a sandboxed IE and also Firefox, I get reboots. Once the system comes back up, it hangs. This repeats over and over again, so, sadly, I had to remove yet another program that looked like it was going to work well."

Is this something that has been reported by other users as well? My current configuration is as follows:

1. Returnil Premium

2. SandboxIE free version

3. SuperAntiSpyware Pro

4. Avast Home Antivirus

5. Secunia PSI (this just tells me when software I have installed needs updating)

6. AdMuncher (on its way off my system actually)

7. MalwareBytes AntiMalware on demand

That's actually all of the security programs I have. As far as browsers, I have Firefox 3 with Noscript and CustomizeGoogle, if either one of those may be causing any issues, and of course IE7. I really like DriveSentry, it was straightforward, it blocked a piece of malware automatically with no fuss nor any cryptic pop-ups, it was the kind of HIPS-related software I had been trying so hard to find. I hope this issue can be resolved, because if it can I'll be a new customer pronto.

22. interact

interact Registered Member

dw426,

I would ask Drivesentry for their new version (3.1) which comes out on Wednesday. I had a problem with the build on their website. The tray icon kept vanishing every 5 reboots which was a pain in the ass so they sent me the latest build which fixed the problem.

I've run this build with no problems alongside Sandboxie, Malware Bytes, Return Nil for about 3 hrs today on XP sp2. I guess they've fixed something so it maybe worth giving it a try.

~interact

23. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hey Interact, I'll wait until Wednesday for the new release and try it again. I'm sure the guys here are going to be putting it through its paces so I'll be watching this thread closely.

24. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Hello Katie,

Today I installed DriveSentry 3.0.3 and since I'm running Windows XP3 with Limited User Account, I want to mention that I had to enable write access for the users group to the folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DriveSentry.

Hope it helps.

25. DriveSentry

Hi Wilbertnl,

Thanks for raising this. It is a very good point.

I hope you enjoy the software. Just to let you know, the new version 3.1 (aka FREE.1) will be available to download from our website tomorrow :eek:

have a nice day

regards,

Kate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.