Katie DriveSentry

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DriveSentry, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HURST

HURST Registered Member

How about FP's?
    Are there lots|few|zero?

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have had none.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

would like to see aigle, kees, peter or others run this software through their battery of tests. I am a firm thinker now that the best testing is the Wilders in-house type.;)

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmmmmm..... I wil rather wait form some one else( instead of me) who can do it better n have more knowledge and time ATM. :)

5. andylau

andylau Registered Member

DS seems cannot prevent such as KillDisk or KillMBR, right?:D

Also, can I set "Advanced view" in default?

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Katie started this thread. I wonder where she went? :cautious:

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

PC TOOLS:cautious:

8. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Monday was a holiday in the UK.

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep, Monday was the official holiday.

However, for alot of people, it continues from the weekend before, to the weekend after :)

10. DriveSentry

DriveSentry Registered Member

Hello Everyone!!

Im sorry i have been on holiday, so it is now time to catch up with all your questions ;) Thank you for keeping my thread going while i have been away :D

Dogma, you requested that DriveSentry adds an Internet firewall. This is something that has been suggested by many and is something we are seriously looking in to.

Bellgamin, you asked if DriveSentry has buffer overflow protection. DriveSentry does protect against certain forms of buffer overflow attack. As Interact correctly mentioned, write process and file mapping. However we are looking into adding complete buffer overflow protection to DriveSentry. You also asked if DriveSentry monitor outgoing connections. Again this is something that an Internet firewall would monitor/control, which as mentioned before, we are looking into adding.

Fan Money, you asked whether DriveSentry is compatible with 64 bit Windows operating systems. We do not currently support 64 bit OS's, but this is in the pipeline.

Andylau, you also asked if it is possible to set the popup "Advanced view" as the default view. The answer is yes, and heres how... go to the "Options" screen -> The top section of the options table shows "Popup options" -> ensure that "Show simple popups" is set to "No".

Thanks again for all you comments and requests during my absense! I am back now :D

regards,

Kate.

11. andylau

Katie, how about prevent against KillDisk or KillMBR?:rolleyes:

In my test, it cannot prevent KillDisk.:D

12. DriveSentry

Hi Andylau,

We are aware of this. We will be closing this within the next month.

thanks,

kate.

13. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Hi Katie can you read back since your absence on page 3. Hurst,337 and moi had some questions. Thanks and welcome back.

14. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Allready did it, quite a while ago, was quite good in the combo with OA.

I was quite taken by the idea of coreforce and SensiveGuard (a firewall combined with data protection), since it makes more sense to combine a HIPS with a FW, and FW's like Comodo started to protect data also (with a white list), I kind of drifted away from this idea.

Nevertheless A friend of my wanted a total different security approach (defend through the extraordinary, decreases the chance of infection). so I cooked up the following complementory setup
    - freeware Online Armor, running internet faces aps in Run Safer (protecting the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive and Windows directory) based on whitelisting execution protection and FW
    - 10 Euro DriveSentry (protecting files and HKEY_CURRENTT_USER hive), using blacklist technology

He had no other security aps on his dual core XP box. Ran fast, but I have only Vista64 comparison on dual cores. Afterwards he asked me how to get rid of autofill websites of Opera. Looking at his list I can not say he is a safe surfer. I downloaded Avira for an on-demand scan, but it found nothing, so this combo seems to do the job.

I already told Mike (of OA) his freeware appliction is to good to be free, drive sentry sort of complements to a total security kit (and a bargain compared to OA + AV option). As a matter of fact the two companies should do some cross selling since their products really complement each other (say a 15 euro combo of the two)

Regards Kees

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thanks kees and andylau. That is what I want to hear. It is testing like this that provides the first layer of how well a product works. And for some like me, that is all that is needed. So Katie, I apologize since it sounds like DS is coming along and proven to do all that it claims. Hey, I can complain, since I own 2 logins.;)

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Katie, forgive me if this has been asked, but any plans to add the abilty to do scheduled scans.

17. DriveSentry

Hi Guys,

It seems i missed a few questions! oops! sorry o_O .

Here goes...

Dogma, you asked if you purchased DriveSentry, can you install it on multiple systems. When you purchase a DriveSentry license it activates one Advisor user account which can be used on one machine at any one time. DriveSentry can be used as a standalone product, the choice is yours.

GesPor, you suggested that we have a notification window to keep the user aware that they have been updated. I like the idea, i think something similar is already in the pipeline! Great minds think alike ;) . You also asked what happens when a new version of DS is available. In this case you will recieve a popup dialog which will inform you that a new version is available and gives you the option to "download it now". This new version can be installed over your current version. It does not effect any license information and gives you the option to keep your existing settings.

Hurst, in answer to your question regarding whether or not DriveSentry is considered to be a HIPs product, i would firstly say yes it is, and much more :D. Drivesentry can be called HIPS as well as behavioral and scanning in one combination product. DriveSentry monitors all processes writing to your drives and where they are writting to e.g files, folders, reg and memory etc. It uses the following method:

- If the program/file is in our whitelist - auto allowed access.
    - If ithe program is in our blacklist- auto deny access, auto qurantine.
    - If the program is unknown to DriveSentry, get advice from the community and determine risk (behavioral/heuristic) - trigger popup containing this information.

You may find it interesting to read the following article for information on new antivirus methods and the growing need for a new approach. It is a very interesting read and has been suggested by Interact. "The future of desktop security: the demise of antivirus"

I hope this post leaves no questions unanswered. Thanks again for all comments, i look forward to hearing from you all.

thanks

Kind regards,

Kate.

18. DriveSentry

Trjam,

Thanks for your question. You will be pleased to know that scheduled scanning already exists within DS :rolleyes: :D .

Go to the "Scanner" window -> select the down arrow next "Start Scan" -> select 'Configure Scanner" -> you will then see the scheduled scan options at the bottom of the config dialog.

I hope this helps in your quest to schedule scan ;) !

thanks

Kate.

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well, some of us are a tad slower then others.;)

20. scoopnoggin

scoopnoggin Registered Member

I'm giving Drive Sentry a test run on my laptop alongside Online Armor. So far so good. Only two pop ups given over the last day, and both were quite clear as to origin.

Ram usage is good. I haven't seen a memory leak.

Price can't be beat. Seriously considering a purchase and an add to my desktop.

I wish the developers the best of success.

:D

21. interact

interact Registered Member

scoopnoggin,

I'm now running Online Amour and Drivesentry together and it's running well thanks for the tip!

Katie,

My friend emailed me tonight and told me that he's running Drivesentry. I asked him when he downloaded it and he told me it came pre-loaded on the laptop he purchased at the weekend! I noticed nothing on your website so congratulations to have won such a major vendor, "HIPS" goes mainstream!!

~interact

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And they are getting ready to debut in Japan.;)

23. tbay2athome

tbay2athome Registered Member

1)If you are thinking of adding a firewall in the future it would be nice if you could opt out from installing it instead of being obliged to along with the main program.
    2) Do you know if your product "plays nicely" with Symantec products (? other AVs) which are notorious for not wanting to have another antivirus installed, let alone running along side it.
    Thanks Katie!

24. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

It work's fine with my two program's. See my sig and most likely i'll be buying it.;)

25. andylau

Hi Kate,

I have another questions and suggestions here.

1. When I scanned a folder, it told me that it found malware, but no results were shown. Is it a bug?
    See pic 1

2. The target column cannot show a bit long path, I hope it can support a bit long path. To display the whole path is easier for users to see the target.
    See pic 2

3. Please see pic 3 , I have written down the words in the pic.:D

Hope this helps,

Andylau

Last edited: May 29, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.