Katie DriveSentry

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DriveSentry, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

The same thing happened to me a few days ago on an XP SP2 machine. Only I had left everything in it's default state using the new exe and dll. I have uninstalled it and I am waiting for the new release. The only change at the time was SAS Pro updated to the latest version, 4.24.1004. SAS is the only other security software running.

2. Panpan69

Panpan69 Registered Member

Oh my sux it seems like i have missed information. I'm currently using 3.1.2.32 but without the beta .exe and .dll

I come back later after testing.

Thanks for your help.

*EDIT*

Ok i have added the .exe and .dll files + reboot

Seems to run around 23 mbts and see the pic during rainbow six running.

Will give my feedback later.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  3. Bubba1

Bubba1 Registered Member

I still intended to resident SAS Pro some-time later to see how it ran with DS.

Prior to it's update, and your DS problem, did you have some run-time with the two? No issues?

4. emil_91

emil_91 Registered Member

5. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Let's get this straight first - are you using the latest test build that Katie posted a link to earlier in this threado_O

6. emil_91

emil_91 Registered Member

I don't know if im using the current build as i downloaded the latest from their website and now after reinstalling its using about 60mb but i don't see the drivesentry icon in my taskbar only inside taskmanager.

7. crofttk

This thread discusses the leak but a hundred or so posts ago. Katie posted a link to an intermim build that addresses the issue. The link is in this post: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1373067&postcount=793

You should shut down DriveSentry, then download these files, drivesentry.exe & cryptopp.dll, and place them in the folder where DriveSentry is installed, probably "C:\Program Files\DriveSentry". No need to uninstall the current build or reinstall anything.

THEN see if you have the memory leak.

8. Bubba1

Bubba1 Registered Member

@ emil_91

As crofttk said, the .dll file doesn't exist prior and can just be copied to the DS install folder. However, if you wish to retain the original .exe .. just rename the existing drivesentry.exe to drivesentryOLD.exe., or some such.

9. LethalBoy

LethalBoy Registered Member

I'm new to the Drive sentry family. Right now I'm very happy with it (using the beta exe) but I have a question... Do I need an another antivirus program if I have Drive Sentry installed?

BTW I'm using MBAM & SAS for on demand scanning

10. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i personally would use another AV alongside it, but you dont really NEED to since it has its own AV built in, and ur running on-demand scans.

11. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I only ran DS on that machine for a few days and ran it with the test build only. No issues between SAS and DS until the SAS program update. Whether or not the SAS update was responsible for DS terminating I'm not sure. Also I've never experienced the memory leak problem that others here are having no matter what OS or pc I've installed it on.

12. Bubba1

Bubba1 Registered Member

Ok, sounds good .. thanks!
    Here, the resource usage was higher on the .32 build than the now updated .exe/.dll combo, but never was it excessive enough to cause a problem.

13. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

It seems the usage widely varied from person to person. With the PC I have it on it would continue to climb\leak for however long the tower ran. The beta exe. & dll seems to have solved the leak. I have even noticed that the usage sometimes declines by almost as much as half if left on several hours. This may be only due to a glitch in the beta .exe. As noted in some previous posts and also acknowledged by Katie the beta does have a few quirks.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, as the year 2008 has just passed, time to take a step back and look at whats happened ;)

DriveSentry has certainly not developed as much as i would have hoped, the big product updates that i expected to arrive, have simply not.

if it continues to be this way, it will fail completely in 2009. :doubt:

15. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

It's a new year.
    Maybe I'm alittle optimistic but I think they'll be okay.
    A new build is supposed to be out shortly.
    I'll withhold any judgement till then but it has been a frustrating ride so far. :cool:

16. DriveSentry

DriveSentry Registered Member

Bubba1,

I will ask that our QA team try and recreate this and see if there's a bug we need to fix :doubt:

Thank you,

Kate.

17. LethalBoy

LethalBoy Registered Member

The new beta build runs around 20-30 k's.. A very well perfomance

18. Panpan69

Panpan69 Registered Member

Hi,

My feedback are goods, since i have installed the .exe and . dll everything works fine. thanks for the support.

Therefore one question still unanswered. Since i have installed the new both files, double click on the tray icon doesn't open the program i have to right click on it and choose what i want to open.

I searched on option but with no result.

Does someone have a tip or any idea ? is it an release issue ?

Thanks in advance ;)

19. crofttk

Are double LEFT clicking or double RIGHT clicking?
    :D
    Just kidding!
    Double left click opens it fine for me, running the interim exe & dll.

20. Bubba1

Bubba1 Registered Member

Hi Kate,

Responding to the 3 computer, "lifetime", license Agnitum is currently offering on two of their products (good until the end of Jan/2009), I've installed their "Outpost Firewall Pro 2009" for a look/trial.

It's been years since I've last looked at Outpost .. and, appears they've added some spyware functionality to it. Functionality which immediately targeted DS' main .exe (drivesentry.exe) as spyware .. reporting it as, "Detected spyware "Packed/UPX" (Suspicious) 'path:'drivesentry.exe" ..

Maybe it's already been noted here, in this thread, or elsewhere? .. You folks are working with Agnitum on this FP? Where does that stand?

Thanks.

21. Bubba1

Bubba1 Registered Member

Kate,

Ok .. where to begin? Despite my last message regarding Outpost Pro 2009 thinking "drivesentry.exe" was spyware ... I'm not having any problem with Outpost's mistaken impression. I told Outpost to disregard the DS .exe .. to not scan it any more. All is well here, with DS, with Outpost. Numerous log-in's and log-off's. A restart, maybe two, over the last day, or so.

Then, this morning, I log-in and ... no DS icon. I look in TM and, yes, DS shows "running". I log off, and back on .. still no icon. I look in TM and, no, DS is now NOT running. But Wait!! I now see that the main desktop icon is missing! (I'd added it to the desktop because I got tired of hunting it down in programs, from all the trouble I'm having keeping DS "running"). On closer inspection, NO .. the icon isn't missing .. it's CHANGED.

Gone is the "soldier" icon. It's now an icon that indicates it isn't "attached" to the .exe any longer. I check the icon's properties. Yes, it still has the proper path to my installed DS .exe file. I try executing DS via the icon and get:

error.jpg

For whatever reason, my formerly functioning (a now common DS theme) DS install is now incapable/fried/quit/dead/tired/gone/absent .. will *not* run.

Forget icons. I've gone into the folder where DS is installed. I've clicked on the .exe file .. it gives me the same message. I cannot, for whatever reason, run DS any longer. I feel another re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-install coming on.

Another thing. Even when it does decide to run, something else I've also been noticing, when I "log-in" (all those logins occurring after any initial "restart" of the computer), I always get this from DS:

smallsync.jpg

While, on the initial login after any restart, I "most always" get this screen from DS:

largesync.jpg

At this point, I've satisfied myself that I indeed think Outpost Pro 2009 is everything I've been hearing about .. and that their 3 computer, "lifetime", license special offer is going to have my name on it before offer expiration. I'm going to restore my pre-Outpost image .. the one with me using Online Armor, while trying to use DS.

How can I convey to you my deep desire for DS to .. work? My eagerness, perched here on my roof-top, to open my jaws wide, SINGING the praises of DS to friends and strangers alike. My, quivering, anticipation to recommend that they too should install DS, or allow me to install DS for them.

When, Kate, when?!? I'm trying to remain strong .. but, the frustration continues to build.

22. DriveSentry

DriveSentry Registered Member

Bubba1,

I'm sorry to see the problem you're having o_O I've not seen this one before, outpost may have changed something in DriveSentry when it originally thought it was spyware. I know the dev team were using a product which reduces the size of the main program but I think its being phased out for the integration of Windows Security Center. Try overwriting with the test program I uploaded and let me know if it resolves the issue. If it doesn't then I can try PM you a different version.

Thank You,

Kate.

23. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

From my experience (see post 239) outpost has always conflicted with DS and quite a lot of other apps too.If your gonna use outpost or ds then dont use any other security app as youll spend most of your time rebooting or disabling security to get them to work
    ellison

24. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

@ Bubba1. I get the second and third messages as well. I am now running DS on a full vers. of XP Sp3. It and Windows FW are the only 2 security apps. running.

The second error I believe is related to the simple fact DS is loading and checking for updates prior to your network connection being established.
    I get the third window as well on start up. I believe it was noted as a known glitch in the beta exe. and was being addressed.

As for the rest, sorry I can be of no assistance. DS is running with out of the box settings with no other security software.

25. Bubba1

Bubba1 Registered Member

Thanks, ellison64.

Too, I owe Kate an apology. After I posted that message and thought about it (was more interested in doing screen captures earlier :ouch: ) .. DS didn't "alter" it's own icon. It had to be something else.

Even though I was able to verify that DS allows were present in the firewall section, that no deny existed in the file monitoring section, that nothing pertaining to DS was showing as molested in the spyware section (certainly, nothing of DS was in quarantine) .. it had to be Outpost. Nothing else was different/altered. And, as for any additional security software possibly impacting things, that's all there was .. Outpost and DS.

I've restored the Online Armor image. All is working again.

May have to re-think any Outpost purchase. It's probably more sophisticated than I'm capable of controlling. Like it's logging capabilities though.

Still, very much look forward to DS' next update/release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.