Katie DriveSentry

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DriveSentry, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

memory leak problem or not, its memory usage might get somewhat high, but never high enough to lower my system performance it seems, so ill continue using DS.

2. DriveSentry

DriveSentry Registered Member

Thats Great!! Your feedback is much appreciated!! Have a merry Christmas and a happy new year :D

regards,

Kate. :doubt:

3. clocks

clocks Registered Member

From reading the DS forums, the issue sounds an internal design battle, and not a technical one. Sounds like there are those in the company that want to keep the google maps api within the program because "it looks nice".

Basically a case of design over function. I am not going to hold my breath for this to be "fixed", since it sounds like it could have easily been done many months ago.

Let's face it, the amount of users savvy enough to watch the resource usage is probably small. The company is probably more worried about making the program look cool for the average user.

4. Bubba1

Bubba1 Registered Member

Hi Kate :) ,

Only recently, I became aware of DriveSentry's existence. I've read this "entire" thread up to my post now. Thought I'd share some things with you ..

Pre-install Thoughts:

• I embrace the direction/design of DriveSentry, agreeing that it is, as you claim, the best future method(s) and, that your product represents that future now.
    • Having arrived there, and reading all the problems many posting here have experienced (most, those same people sporting 8-10 security-based apps listed in their signatures .. and now, attempting to run DriveSentry also) .. I decided to run DriveSentry for a 30 day trial with "minimal" possibilities of additional security-based app interference. While I also embrace protection resulting from "layered defenses" .. I too, very much, ascribe to the meaningful observation that, "Less is More". And, I think a great many, otherwise, security aware users continually set themselves up for "problems" by running multiple, similarly tasked, programs .. to say nothing of potentially lowered, or non-existent, actual protection as a result.

Pre-Install Preparation:

• I imaged the computer.
    • I disabled and uninstalled Kaspersky's Anti-Virus (KAV2009 build 8.0.0.506), retaining licensing and other assorted data. The uninstall was "clean", in that, uninstall proceeded without problem, asking for re-boot to complete.
    • I cleaned the registry, using 3 cleaning tools, removing many Kaspersky references remaining there.

Install:

• The computer is a XP Pro SP2 DT with 3 gb of ram. Remaining resident, security-based, apps include "Online Armor" (paid) (OA) and "WinPatrol Plus". Additionally, I'm using an MVPS'host modified hosts file and "SpywareBlaster" is installed. I will begin by -not- allowing "SuperAntiSpyware Pro" to run resident, but intend to add it at some point in the 30 day test. The XP firewall is disabled. My intent is to obtain the free "BitDefender", on-demand, antivirus scanner for periodic, augmentative, scanning.
    • I installed DriveSentry (DS) build 3.1.2.32. and it went without incident. It took longer than I expected at the "database update" screen, having selected to "synchronise". My DSL isn't the fastest service available by any means, but it took awhile for things to download/sync. I configured settings as I desired and re-booted .. no DriveSentry icon. Immediately checked OA and had to introduce it to DS (it had prevented DS from running). Successive re-boots, no additional icon problems. I allowed DS to perform a full scan of fixed drives, which went without incident or "discovery". Currently, DS resource usage is holding steady around MEM USAGE = 41,468 / PEAK = 48,192 / VM SIZE = 44,476 .. I'll monitor this, though you've indicated a fix is coming. The google map doesn't display in the Advisor section for me, but I think you'd indicated it was being altered in a later build?

Thus-far, I'm impressed with DS. I'll share anything that may be helpful. Thanks for your commitment here.

5. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Kate,

Don't we get a response?

Or, has DS given up with memory problem?

I agree there is no slowdown with DS. Usually, s/w companies want to know about memory leaks and fix them. What's got my goat is the continual 'we will release a fix'.

DS's credibility has dived with me because of that.

Ian

6. firzen771

the only somewhat annoying problem ive had with DS is sometimes on startup, ill get a pop up saying drivesentry has like failed to initialize or has crashed, something like that.

7. Tony

Tony Registered Member

8. Less

Less Registered Member

great software..... will try when new version is out..
    thanks

9. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  10. firzen771

Yep, forums don't seem to work atm.

11. I ditto that their down.

12. DriveSentry

Guys,

Yes the forum is down o_O I doubt no-one is in the office to give it a nudge! I was sent the new program to upload to the forum. I cannot attach to this post due to it's size. Anyone have any ideas where I can upload?

Happy Christmas everyone :argh:

Kate.

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

are you talking about the new version of drivesentry?3.2?

14. firzen771

sweet, i cant wait for this new version, im not really sure where you could upload though :( btw whats the changelog for this new version?

15. new version of drivesentry is ready? do we need to unistall old one first how will it work once you figure out how to upload the file? oops just got your message

16. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Someone please find this girl a host!

17. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I was going to suggest something like rapid share, but the last time some one did that the mods cracked down.

18. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Here you go. Better then nothing...and free. Rapidshare

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Sorry, but something seems wrong with this whole approach to a release.

20. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I am not sure the Drive Sentry people want this out as an official release though.

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

then why would Katie be asking for a link to the download.

22. DriveSentry

Guys,

No this is not a full blown install it's a replacement DriveSentry.exe which uses less memory. This has some of the new features of 3.2 but it's not an official release. This build seems to be working well it's using 17mb on my Vista laptop which is MUCH MUCH lower than before. The changes in this version are:

- Auto allow signed apps (this can be switched on or off in options)
    - A new home page menu.
    - Alot of bug fixes (which I cannot check as our company wiki is also down).

Memory does appear to still creep up then stops I've been told this is because DriveSentry caches it's signature database as files are written to the drives so that it's quicker on subsequent checks.

This is not a full blown installation it's a case of closing down DriveSentry and copying this over the original which normally sits in "c:\program files\drivesentry\"

I'm trying to get timescales when the server will be back so that I can upload to a DriveSentry server. This build is not signed by us so I'm wary of putting on a free upload site.

Thank you,

Kate.

23. well in that case DriveSentry server is the only approach to take.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.