Katie DriveSentry

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DriveSentry, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yes indeed,keep up the good work and keep DriveSentry ligth:thumb:

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

to be honest i dont like to use any antivirus at all,the only one that impress me is DriveSentry,it is rich in options and easy to use,plus very ligth:thumb:

3. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I’m having trouble with DS synchronizing. The initial update after installing went fine. The second update left me with 9 virus files that refused to sync. The tray icon remains khaki colored even after synchronizing multiple times. Shutting down and restarting DS results in the same message that I have new viruses in the database. The only other security software installed on this machine (XP Home) is Returnil and SandboxIE, both of which are not running. Any suggestions?

Edit: Just tried version 3.1.2.2 and the same update failure persists. It also consumes about 2.5 times more memory.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i think that you may be experiencing some kind of problems maybe if you have returnil on,and drivesentry wants to updates after reboot you loose you definition.is that what is happening?

5. DriveSentry

DriveSentry Registered Member

Hi jdd58,

Sometimes it is necesary to go to the 'Options' screen and select the 'Synchronize' button to fill your BD fully. Let me know how you get on.

kind regards,

Kate.

6. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Thanks for the quick response.

That was the method that I was using to update. When I clicked the update button the progress bar would go immediately to 100% then give an " Out of contact with Advisor " error. Possibly server down? I checked the forum last night and noticed someone else was having the same problem.

I uninstalled version 3.1.2.22 last night and reinstalled 3.1.2.5. So far today it is updating fine, also using much less memory.

I really like this software and hope it progresses. Well worth the 10 bucks.

Also will DS work properly under a standard user account on Vista?

JD

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  7. hammerman

hammerman Registered Member

I've never been able to install DriveSentry on my system for some reason. After the installation error message is displayed, total system lock-up.

Are there any issues with apps in my sig? Not many clues in the error message!

Attached Files:

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

disable couple of them see for the results:thumb:
    it may be eqsecure,probably.

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

AFAIK: OnlineArmor and EQSecure are classic HIPS. DefenseWall is a policy-HIPS. I am fairly certain that all 3 of them hook the kernel multiple times. DS is a combo HIPS/antivirus so it also uses hooks. Too many hooks = conflicts.

Further, you are using AntiVir, which is (of course) an antivirus program. DS claims to be an antivirus program, also. Thus --- with 2 AVs running, there is yet another potential for conflicts.

IMO...
    1) Multiple HIPS are an open invitation to MAJOR conflicts.

>>(a) If you run DS, you do not need OA and EQS. Any one of these 3 is enough.

>>(b) A less likely conflict (but not impossible) is between DS & DefenseWall, a policy-HIPS.

2) If you disable Antivir {it's easy to do - see Note 1} & that enables DS to run, then you have a tough choice to make. Antivir is a proven, tested, top-tier antivirus. DS has... lots of claims, but it is untested/unproven. I would choose Antivir over DS any day -- but everyone to his own tastes (as the lady said when she kissed the cow).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NOTE 1: To easily disable Antivir, run Autoruns, do a ctl-find for "Avira" (without the quotes), then uncheck avgnt.exe and AntivirService (which is avguard.exe). To RE_ENABLE, simply reverse the process.)

10. hammerman

hammerman Registered Member

I know you're right of course but I couldn't resist trying DS. Only app I would consider removing is EQS but it provides the file and registry protection missing from OA. For now, I'll stick.

11. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

I tried DS again and found FF options would not stay checked even without Avira's webguard without enabling the change twice.

That is, check an option, restart FF, option stays unchecked, check option again, restart FF again, then option is checked.

Anybody else seeing this? Is it just Avira users?

Ian

12. interact

interact Registered Member

13. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

I like this new 3.1.2.28 beta build, thanks for this link, interact.

For those having a slow connection, please note that it's weighting 40MB, the local database being included in the installer.

14. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

EDIT: It's working now. I installed it fresh without using my saved config.

Thanks for the link.

I tried it and I still get the problem with FF options not remaining checked.

The more I try the new security programmes the more I prefer the old black-list technology.:)

I'm a safe surfer so why am I being paranoiac about zero-day?

Ian

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  15. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Interact, thanks for the link ;) , please, let me know: it needs to uninstall the previous DS version or I can install the beta on ?

16. interact

I installed over the older version as it's seems an advanced beta and more slicker than the release on the website.

~interact

17. interact

Yes sorry I forgot to mention it now includes signature DB but works much better than the website version. I managed to 'sniff' out the URL for the new advisor window in this latest version which shows some cool maps:

http://www.drivesentry.com/DNA2/threats.html

~interact

18. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Screenshot pls.

19. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Thank you for the answer interact. ;)

20. interact

21. rainbow1112

rainbow1112 Registered Member

I am Getting Warning out of contact with advisor. Please Error when i update the database how can i solve that?

Untitled.jpg

22. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

@rainbow1112

Which Drive Sentry version are you using. Is it 3.1.2.2? Try upgrading to 3.1.2.5. This fixed a similar issue for me and other people.

@Katie

I am still having trouble completing a scan, it hangs at C:/WINDOWS/Tasks/desktop.ini.

23. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I'm having the same problems as rainbow1112 using versions 3.1.2.5 and 3.1.2.22. Will try the new version interact pointed to.

EDIT: 3.1.2.28 does not update completely either. Same out of contact with advisor after downloading some of the updates.

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Can anyone please tel me if the free versions of both DS and DS GoAnyWhere have exactly same features or different?

Thanks

25. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

There is no free version of DS-GoA, or does it now?. Btw, their main difference is in their purpose, as you could define them as complementary, when you want to extend protection to your portable devices and carry this protection with them. Also GoA adds encryption feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.