Katie DriveSentry

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DriveSentry, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DriveSentry

DriveSentry Registered Member

Hi Ruinebabine,

Plase click here for the DriveSentry GoAnywhere 2 helpfile.

We recommend that you install DSGA onto your most commonly used partitian. I do not yet know the effects of installing DSGA onto two seperate partitians on the same device so i cannot reccommend this im afraid. Let me know you go.

Kind regards,

Kate.

2. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I didn't believe that my English was so bad. :D I said that I had some system conflicts trying to use TrueCrypt with security applications like KIS and SSM. So I don't think that the problem is DS.

3. DriveSentry

Hi Truthseeker,

DriveSentry GoAnywhere provides free antivirus protection and 25 encryption credits. It does not have a thirty day trial period. The only limitation is that you are limited to encrypting and decrypting 25 files only.

For unlimited encryption you are required to upgrade for a one off payment of 10 pounds. There are no subscriptions with DriveSentry - once you have purchased a license you can enjoy unlimited encryption for the lifetime of the device that you install it onto. If you choose not to upgrade, you may carry on using the GoAnywhere antivirus protection for free.

Maybe you will give it a go now you know the details of the licensing model?

thanks Truthseeker,

kind regards,

Kate.;)

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

10 pounds of what? :)

But seriously -- what's the price in our poor deflated US dollars nowadays?

5. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

It's currently 1.84GBP/1USD. Exchange Rates

I would guess, using my limited math skills, that it is $18.40 USD.

HTH,

Searching

6. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

I bought it and it did cost me 10.00 USD!

Easier to calculate (and on yor ca$hing) like that, hey :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  7. ruinebabine

Thanks for the link.

I installed it on one partition only and it did the job very well, to the point I bought the company ...oops... a personal license :)

8. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Ok Katie, thanks, I will download the portable version and try it :thumb:

So I can just run the AV scanner whenever I like and not have it memory resident?

Because as you know I cannot have DS run in RAM because it locks me out of being able to load any programs of my TrueCrypt container.

9. truthseeker

Behave :p

10. DriveSentry

Sorry meant 10 dollars!!

:D

11. DriveSentry

It is to be installed onto your removable device. Then the device can be taken to any computer and will always stay protected from the latest threats. It does not have an on demand scanner, it uses a realtime scanner and monitors all access to your device. Anything trying to read or write to your device will be cross referenced against the black and whitelist.

Blacklisted programs are blocked and deleted, whitelisted programs are automatically allowed access and unknown programs trigger a popup. If you do not have an internet connection then you will not be able to access Advisor information on black and whitelisted programs, but all access will still be monitored and nothing will be allowed through unless it has been authorized by you first!

DSGA does not take up system memory. It takes up 1.6 mb from your device. That is all.

I hope you enjoy this.

thanks,

Kate.

12. truthseeker

Katie, I tried DriveSentry GoAnywhere, but removed it. The reason is that it doesn't allow me to just use it when I want to do a virus scan.

for example, I have ClamScan portable that allows me to run a program from my USB stick that will scan my PC for virus. I want a program that is not memory resident, but that I can just load when I want to do a scan.

http://portableapps.com/news/2008-09-09_-_clamwin_portable_0.94

DriveSentry GoAnywhere doesn't have that ability, hence, I removed it.

If DS had that ability, then I would switch over and use DS. But seeing it doesn't, I am back to using ClamWin (Clamscan)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  13. ruinebabine

What is this "DriveSentry portable" you're talking about here? I know only of DriveSentry and DriveSentry GoAnywhere.

If you are meaning the last, well yes DS-GoA could probably be defined as portable but not in the common usual sens. Its only goal is to protect your portable drives and devices from tampering off softwares sitting on the host pc, but it does not work the opposite way as you seem to imply...

14. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Hello,

O.K. I have reinstalled DS 3.1.2.5 I can't complete a scan still.
    It hangs at C:\Windows\Tasks\desktop.ini
    After minimizing DS, I could not access the task bar at all.
    Continuing to surf created a semi complete freeze, mouse cursor still worked, but ctrl+alt+delete did not.

At the time I was running in a Returnil session while scanning.
    I will have to try again after I end the Returnil session.

Searching

15. truthseeker

Is DS a new BETA program? Or a new player in the AV field? I love the idea behind it and its method of protection. But unfortunately it doesn't work with my TrueCrypt container programs. If that gets fixed, I want to use DS as it's a great way for protection.

16. bellgamin

Not a beta. Not an AV.

DS is still being vigorously improved, but it is well-beyond mere beta status. DS is not an AV. Instead, it is a full-on "classical" HIPS (Host-based Intrusion Protection System) with emphasis on file/drive protection.

17. ingem64

ingem64 Registered Member

Question for Katie

I am using Avast antivirus. Can I replace it by DriveSentry as antivirus with full functionality?

18. truthseeker

If it's not an AV, why does the main text on the DriveSentry website say:

"Next generation Antivirus"

http://www.drivesentry.com/

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is an antivirus but not recognize by microsoft,it is full feature next generation antivirus white/black list of malware database plus a community support from users all around the globe.:thumb:

20. bellgamin

It's marketing.

IMO, they call their app an AV for pretty much the same reason that Threatfire (a behavior blocker) also calls itself an AV. Namely, the *average user* has heard about antivirus programs, but has no idea what a HIPS is. So they call DS & TF "antivirus programs" because that's what most people are looking for.

Bluntly put -- AVs sell better than HIPS -- even when they are ostensibly "free". {See an interesting discussion of this issue at THIS TF forum thread.}

In the remote sense, DS & TF are "anti-" (against) viruses, as well as "anti-" (against) ANY and all other kinds of malware. In that same remote sense, EVERY security app is "anti-virus." However, if what you want is REALLY an AV, then get something like Avira or Kaspersky or NOD. If what you want is REALLY a HIPS, then get something like DS or SSM or Malware Defender.

21. truthseeker

So in your own words... what defines an AV? What does a program need to do to be called an AV?

And who's definition are you using? And is it a widely accepted definition, or just your own personal definition?

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i think to be call an antivirus ofcourse has to be recognize as one by microsoft and the vb100 virus and icsa labs certify,antivirus comparatives etc,etc i think:D

23. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Isn't the vb100 award totally outdated?

24. Someone

Someone Registered Member

I believe DriveSentry and ThreatFire technically can be labelled as AVs, but I think what Bellgamin meant was the detection rates of DS and TF will be lower than that of AVs such as AntiVir, Avast, AVG, etc.

25. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I thought DriveSentry didn't play nice with other antivirus software on the same machine?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.