Katie DriveSentry

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DriveSentry, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

There have to be some big problems now because normally Katie come here and defend their products :D

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Aren't they in the U.S though, California I believe? If so it's 2am there, so I doubt she'd be logging on here or anywhere else, lol. The website is back up right now. I don't want to get into a poking fun thing because hey, they are pretty new and they DID send a rep here to take questions/suggestions. God forbid we run off a new security vendor that could turn out to be absolutely great in time. All of the not-so respected and very well respected vendors had problems when they started out and some still do.

3. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

The big problem for me is what you noticed when you changed settings,and nothing happened.Until that's fixed i am no longer using DS.
    ellison

4. MikeNAS

From Great Britain if I remember correctly.

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I checked their website, they have an office in the U.K and also in MountainView, CA.

6. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

I don't think Katie works on Sat/Sun.

7. MikeNAS

We inform these problems on thursday...

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Chances are pretty good that they didn't go all out working on things by the time Katie got the information to the QA team considering the weekend was coming. Besides, they may not be able to fix the issues for awhile, and they may even be working on other things first. Fact is we're just going to have to wait and see with DS. It may after some time and work be a great, popular product, or, it may go quietly in the night. Nobody knows, but we'll find out in time you can be sure.

9. DriveSentry

DriveSentry Registered Member

MikeNAS,

Sorry for the late reply, i had a holiday on Friday :D !

I can see what is happening. that is a very valid point and something that needs immediate attention. There is a new feature which is not located in the appropriate location on the Options screen and has already been logged as an issue in our bug tracking system.

Although you have the following options in place....

Auto block malicious programs - No
    Show auto allow notification popup - Yes
    Auto allow white listed programs - No
    Auto allow community trusted programs - No

...and have deleted all of your program access rules, certain programs will still be automatically allowed according to the 'Threat Notification Level' which resides in the 'Popup Options' section of the Options screen.

This 'Threat Notification level' gives you the option to choose the types of unknown programs which you would like to trigger a manual popup. This helps reduce popups, but for people who wish to monitor all writes and have full controll (as you do) you need to set this threat level to 'No Threats'.

There are 4 levels of threats which you can be informed about based on DriveSentry's threat scoring initiative (analysing the characteristics and behaviour of unknown programs)...

Critical threats: DS will only show the popups for programs considered critical threat.
    Major threats: will show popups for programs considered critical and major threats.
    Minor threats: will show popups for programs considered critical, major and minor. (this is DriveSentry's default option)
    Slight threats: will show popup for programs considered critical, major, minor and slight threats.
    No threats: will trigger popup for every level of threat

The Option that the user selects will show all popups for the threat level selected and all above threats.

I am going to get the developers on to this straight away as you have highlighted an issue which has been noticed previous to this, but not been high on the list of priorities.

Sorry for the confusion here and thanks for your input on this.

kind regards,

kate.;)

10. DriveSentry

MikeNAS!!

Im back!! please read my post, i will get this sorted as soon as possible and will get back to you, but for now change your Threat Notification Level to 'No Threats' - this will inform you of all threats on or above the selected level.

thanks

kate. :thumb:

11. DriveSentry

SORRY GUYS :rolleyes: ...i took holiday :cool: on Friday...IM BACK!

:D

12. ellison64

I have just followed your instuctions i.e removed firefox from trusted apps and access rules.Ive also set notification level to no threat,and choose THESE OPTIONS
    Auto block malicious programs - No
    Show auto allow notification popup - Yes
    Auto allow white listed programs - No
    Auto allow community trusted programs - No.
    Ive shutdown firefox and drive sentry.Restarted drivesentry ,and checked my options had remained as i had checked them...they had.Restarted firefox ,and firefox connects ....no popups whatsoever.??.In fact the logs show that firefox is still trusted,and allowed even though firfox is not showing on trusted application list,or on access list.This is serious flaw in program.
    ellison

13. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Katie,

The database seems to be updated weekly.

Why is this? I expected it to be at least daily.

Thanks,
    Ian

14. DriveSentry

Hi Iangh,

Looks like we have a fix for your problem and i would like to send you a beta version as soon as possible. PLease could you PM me your email address so that i can get this build to you.

thanks Ian,

look forward to hearing from you,

kind regards,

Kate.:)

15. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

As new/bugged as it is for some, support is the fastest of all! You guys Katie are very determined to create greatness!

16. DriveSentry

Hi Ellison,

Thanks for your feedback. Please make sure that you set all the options as you have stated above. After you have done that, delete your rule for firefox in your program 'Access: rules' screen. After you have done that, close down DS.

Restart DS, check your rules to ensure that everything is in order. Then restart firefox. I just did exactly the same for Internet Explorer and got a manual popup notification as expected :D .

Please also make sure that you have DS's default protections in place before re-conducting this test.

Thanks

Kate.

17. DriveSentry

Thank you GES/POR,

That is exactly what we are aiming to do. Comments and feedback from this forum and our own is very useful in our quest!

thanks

Kate.:D

18. ellison64

Ive repeated what i did in previous post after resetting DS to default and then altering options,and the result is the same.Firefox connects without popups.In fact for the last 2 days im browsing with firefox when trusted apps tab has no record of firefox in it and access rules ahs no record either.However log screen show firefox allowed.Im using vista premium.
    ellison

19. DriveSentry

Hi Ellison,

Could you go to your Logs screen and check the area in which Firefox is writing to. This may not be setup as a default protected location. Please add this location to your protected areas manually. Then re-run test.

We may need to add this to our default protected locations.

Thanks

Kate.

20. ellison64

Thank you...:)
    That has done the trick.I added C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox and it now works.That path doesnt seem to be included in default installation.It seems my firefox uses \appdata\roaming and \appdata\local for some reason.
    ellison

21. DriveSentry

Great,

Thank you Ellison. I will ensure that this is added to our default protected locations. Thanks for taking time to investigate this.

kind regards,

Kate.

22. MikeNAS

Good to know that everything is okay ;) I'm gonna test DS again...

EDIT: I only get Application Error after installation. Time to forget this application now because atm it can't give anything to me. Of course later I test it again.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  23. DriveSentry

MikeNAS,

Please PM me your private email and i can send you a beta version to try. Unless you would like to wait till the end of this week (if all goes to plan) as we will have a new dot release available to download from the website.:argh:

thanks

Kate.

24. MikeNAS

No hurry Katie. I can wait whole my life if product is worth of that :D

25. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Hello Kate,
    Hmm,
    Like the ideas. Simple. Configurable.
    Does it protect against raw disk access?
    Do you have a new version for upgrade, 1.72mb, still 3.1 version #?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.