Kaspersky

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by waters, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fax

fax Registered Member

ZA uses the latest SDK engine from Kaspersky. This is basically equivalent to enterprise versions of Kaspersky currently on the market. Sometime its even ahead of enterprise versions in terms of fixes and core drivers. It just depends on when you look at it.

So, definitively up to date and users saying otherwise they just simply says that enterprise version of KAV is junk as compared to latest KAV home versions. Not very good marketing for KAV and not objective assessment. See AV-TEST results. Of course, aside the signature engine, KAV and ZA are two completely different products with different features and options. Proactive protection is different with different modules (ZA OSFirewall, ZA Application control, etc).

This has been discussed several times in here not the first time KAV supporters tries to discredit ZA. Its normal, no one is happy to see clones performing as well as the very latest and best tool ;) There are users happy with KAV other happy with ZA. Just a matter of taste and preference on how better they run on the system.

Please lets no enter into A vs B. otherwise this thread is dead. :thumb:

2. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

According to the AV-Test.org,

Check Point ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall 10.2

is the top FREEware product.

3. skokospa

skokospa Registered Member

I totally agree with you.many users in my country is stopped using kaspersky enterprise version.

4. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, of course ... LOL :D
    Reference please ?

BTW, doubts about the effectiveness of KAV Enterprise engine? Here you have the test:
    http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/corporate-user/windows-7/sepoct-2012/
    Performance is basically the same as the 2013 line

So if companies are moving away from it its likely for the complexity of admin setup rather than the engine. ;)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  5. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Thats the full disclosure.

I have a full time job creating financial markets technology, wouldn't have time for Kaspersky even if they wanted me :D

6. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Understood ;)

7. waters

waters Registered Member

Got the license from V3.co.uk software store.Had the last reply from Kaspersky,after all this time
    Your activation code is a South African edition of the Kaspersky, this is not for activation and use in the UK. The activation code states that it has been activated 5 times which is the limit for a 1 PC license.This cannot be reset by us for the uk.
    In order to get a South African license reset you'll need to speak with the support team there.
    So they want me to go through all this again with them.Well forget it .I have learned my lesson.

8. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

LOL! You can't activate it more than 5 times? Things like that have led me to stop buying and relying only on freeware (and Twister being lifetime).

Why don't they do something against the shop that sells in the UK south african licenses?

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

In my country, Kaspersky's activation limit is 3 times not 5. Since there's no local support here, Kaspersky does directly handle the requests. Regardless, it's an inconvenience.

As for South African licenses sold by DownloadCrew/V3.....better contact Chris Wiles and ask about it. Might just be an error. I'm pretty sure Kaspersky knows who sells what codes and AFAIK DownloadCrew is legit.

(I think what might have happened is that DownloadCrew/CreativeMark received EMEA codes - Europe, Middle East and Africa since they sell worldwide, but this shouldn't be a problem IMO. Region specific codes should be supported in all countries of that region!)

Because things are not always as clear cut as "this is illegal". We should wait for a response from Chris Wiles. Also, they don't just sell in the UK so you can't really expect a country-specific code.

None of the vendors I've had to deal with ever had this region-specific stuff.....but what do I know :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  10. Fuzzfas

Well, clearly the keys aren't illegal. Their problem is with their origin. The problem is that the client shouldn't be the one to get crushed in the middle. The shop who bought from is a legitimate reseller of Kaspersky? Yes? Then the client should not have a problem with the key. Any problem should be sorted between Kaspersky and the reseller.

11. Firecat

Actually, the reseller is just that - a seller. The source of the problem is not the reseller, but the distributor. In any case, yes, it is correct that the customer should not be inconvenienced because of this!

12. Fuzzfas

In deed, the customer didn't know he was getting "south african code that local Kaspersky won't support" or anything like that. For me, since KAV has that shop authorized to resell its product, has the obbligation to honour the license, be it south african or patagonian or antarctic. If they have a problem, they can then tell the reseller that from now on he must sell only "UK licenses".

But, as per EU legislation, the one who replys directly to the customer is the seller. It's the same as with RMA. The responsible to accept RMA or refund is not the hardware manufacturer of a PC component for example, but the internet shop that sold it to you. It's their job to then forward the demand to the manufacturer.

At any case, the client should be left in peace. I hope KAV trades his license for a UK one or click on a computer and rename the license as british.

13. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

I'm a little confused here? All our UK Kaspersky codes are sourced from ENTA Techologies, an official UK distributor of Kaspersky software. We buy thousands of Kaspersky 1-PC, 3-PC, 5-PC, ONE's and PURE's from ENTA.

Three things of concern here:

1) Have you contacted us directly about this rather than publish on a public forum? Sometimes Kaspersky's support team doesn't always give out correct information. We don't seem to have a support email from you regarding this?

2) Strictly speaking, remember a 3-PC code isn't three separate computers owned by three different people. People make the mistake thinking that "3-PC" means three different users with their own Kaspersky accounts.

What 3-PC means is a single user with one Kaspersky account, using their code across multiple PCs they own, in their name. Now, this means you can activate on another computer owned by another user, but the license would have to be in your name, using your Kaspersky account.

Kaspersky are getting much tougher with this. We're hearing from other users who have given their 3-PC codes to other users and then can't understand why they can't make further activations. Or, worse, they give their code to another user, who then gives it to someone else etc etc, quickly meaning their code has multiple activations without knowing.

3) Kaspersky have now introduced regional encoding with their codes. This makes is almost impossible for a user in, say, South Africa, to buy and use a UK Kaspersky code and vice-versa. If you do try and use a code from another location, Kaspersky now block the code as "not valid for this region".

But this means we now have to sell the relevant Kaspersky code for each region, which is a MAJOR pain in the backside. So, if we sell in Australia, we have to sell Kaspersky codes from Kaspersky Australia. Sell in the US, the codes have to be sourced from Kaspersky US. Sell in UK, codes have to be from Kaspersky UK, and so on. As I said above, we buy our UK codes from ENTA, an official distributor.

Previously, all English-sourced Kaspersky codes worked in all English-speaking territories. This policy changed, without warning, three weeks ago.

Just PM me with your issue over your Kaspersky code and we'll give you another, no problem at all.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  14. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

what happens to a customer who have a kaspersky and say travel between places. i have many clients from the uk and china etc who buy and or activate their software while there or visa versa and then travel back and forth? will they have to buy a new key every time that would be ridiculous.

as well i have a few clients that bought say 4 or 5 copies while on sale when they were home in the uk or somewhere then brought them with them to the usa some have moved here to stay. are those now no good to use. they are boxed retail type versions though.

thanks for any input on that chriswiles.

15. waters

waters Registered Member

I have contacted support@creativemark.co.uk and the reply i got was to contact Kaspersky they can do nothing .This has been only used on my pc.I think after all this time i am justified in posting the final email reply from Kaspersky.If someone wants my bank details and licence information now from where this was paid for i will give it .I had no idea this was not uk and install was under 5 times .I have other emails that prove that Kaspersky got the details wrong and the reply from contacting the store was it was Kaspersky who would have to deal with it because of their margins on selling could not refund.If their way of doing this is fair ,then they can check this license has only been used on my machine.
    As for posting the reply ,i have had to reply to lots of emails and have not posted any update,the reason for this is this seems the final reply ,and i will not start the process again,why should i

16. Macstorm

Unbelievable all this mess. Their new "regional encoded" licenses has made it worse :ouch:

17. Firecat

I agree. A mess of gigantic proportions; that probably will affect only online stores. You have to wonder about Kaspersky's motivations for doing this.

Anyway, waters, do send chriswiles a PM and try again :)

18. Fuzzfas

I remember many years ago, when "activations" weren't so widespread, people used to laugh at people like me who was against, with the usual "if you buy legit what's your problem", "are you a pirate?" or "it doesn't bother me one bit". But most people have zero capacity of evaluating potential future repercussions of what starts as "innocent mechanism". Now you have programs that allow you 3 re-installations and people still pretend it's normal...

Oh well... When their sales go down, and "activations aren't good enough", i wonder what will be next. Maybe they ll put a metal plate on all mice and if you try to install 4th time, you ll get an electric shock.

19. Firecat

Just an imaginary scenario:

Just kidding; hope it never comes to that....Anyway, one less reason to buy Kaspersky now. Though it's available dirt cheap in my country; I want to have the freedom of where I'm buying it. That, and I wasn't a huge fan of their products anyway.

Punish the people who pay for your products? You lose my money :thumbd:

20. Fuzzfas

Yeah, i don't like to get punished for not pirating a software either, so i have pretty much stopped buying security software for some time now. Besides, i had already enough licenses (several lifetime) bought before. Unfortunately, when the majority of AV users out there doesn't care or doesn't even know how to format a PC and thus "consume" the 3 re-installations, policies like Kaspersky's will go on, because the majority won't protest. I also kind of remember Vipre has 5 installations , after which you have to email them to reset the key. Enough reason not to buy it, even though i would like it (i bought it once on Black Friday). I am pretty much sick and tired of having to do "Detective Columbo" for every software i 'd like to buy, just to learn all the fine print about their activation procedure. In AV, i am pretty sure i will stick with freeware and Twister and that's it.

Usually Microsoft shows the way. Subscriptions and more intense online requirements seem to be the way. I bought a Microsoft HD webcam. Well, you can't install drivers if it isn't connected to the internet. BitDefender which i tried yesterday gives you a 5MB file and you must download the rest from the internet. If you don't let it through the firewall, it won't install at all. Then you have MS going after subscriptions. Maybe they will combine things and will force you to subscriptions, limited reinstallations and a punishment, like "you installed for the 4th time. You just lost 1 month of your subscription. The next time, this will be 2 months, you scruffy pirate!" Or they will require fingerprints or retina scan in order to let you re-install. LOLOL! :D

In the meantime, real pirates will enjoy their software with no limitations...

Anyway, eventually, i will probably seek refuge to Linux.

21. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

Fair enough, but I did ask you to PM me a message and we'd send you a new code in return. If you'd rather post on a public forum, and not get a new code, I'm not sure what I can suggest. I have no issues in getting you a brand new code you can use!

I will add this though - we have no (literally, no!) idea where Kaspersky codes will now work. For instance, UK codes work across the EU, but not Norway, it seems (Norway isn't in the EU). EU Kaspersky codes won't work in Croatia or Russia, either. US Kaspersky codes don't appear to work in Brazil as another example.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  22. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Kaspersky intermitently failed to load my activation code on boot or while the PC was active. So whenever it happened I was unprotected. I asked their forum what to do. Bad move. They suggested deleting the code & re-entering it. Woooooooooo. Worked fine a few times.

The support crew still have never replied to my ticket & follow ups after two months. Not once.

23. Macstorm

Actually, given the things mentioned above, I consider that scenario will be very likely, more sooner than later :doubt:

24. Firecat

Let me extend my "scenario" :D

Just some extra spice....but it's scary to think it is actually possible :eek: :D

25. Macstorm

LoL....now I know you're trying to ~Possibly offensive phrase removed~ , aren't you :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.