Kaspersky v.8 (2009) Official Technical Release is out

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Macstorm, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

This one of the parts I really like

2. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I'm having problems with the KIS v. 8 firewall. Can't get it to stealth all ports. Is there some extra special tweaking that needs to be done? With KIS 7, all ports were stealth at the default firewall settings.

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

this is by far imo the best suite now i have ever used. i used to want to back to avira.. not anymore. glad everyone likes this i know i do. runs LIGHT as a feather.. and super fast

4. osip

osip Registered Member

Graystoke:
    see post 149

5. zfactor

just curious does anyone use the anti banner feature?? on version 7 i had to disable it due to a lot of web sites not loading because of it and im wondering if anyone has seen any issues with this new version and the anti banner??

6. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I have it enabled.
    I never had a problem with it either

7. zfactor

thnaks i love this new version!!!!!!!

8. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

You're welcome

9. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I must say that I think too that Kaspersky have done a great job at this new TR version. Maybe a bit more of tweaking and this is one of the absolute best suites on the market at the moment.

No bloat like backup software or defragmenters but real security stuff instead. KIS 2009 will be hard to beat.

10. boesdad

boesdad Registered Member

Thank you for the reply. I changed both of them from application rule
    to block, ran shields up and now everything is stealthed.

Thanks again

11. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Good to hear. It almost starts to sound like a Kaspersky forum ;)

12. Unity

Unity Registered Member

9 pages for a beta , can't wait for the release :D

At least the feedback looks promising for the final release.

13. rainbow1112

rainbow1112 Registered Member

Nice GUI :cool: :cool: but kaspersky is a bit exp in my country (Singapore) $80+ whereas Norton Mcafee Bitdefender u can get for $60-70

14. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

I think that if yo reserach carefully you will find that the Lab has ditched the MS approach to this and developed their own approach/technology for the iSwift/iChecker components and therefore that the issues surrounding the MS approach are long gone!;)

15. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Well, if the chkdsk issue is what you mean, then probably yes, it's gone in this version per their advertizing. However, it still write stuff to your hard drive, permanently, without notifying you first. You can test the results by right click a partition driver letter (NOT any sepcified folders), check the "occupied space" before and after you perform a manual scan. You will see the increase of partition occupied space after the scan, but the files/folders in that partition are still the same size. Then where does the increased occupied space from? Simple, KAV/KIS still write "marks and labels" of files onto your hard drive. Maybe you will not experience problems for now because kapsersky claimed they optimized the software to "GET AROUND" the chkdsk issue, but how the hell do you know it will not introduce any other problems later? I just don't like the way they do this-CRAP your hard drive first without even letting you know. To me this is immoral.
    IMHO, an antivirus program is just a freaking antivirus program, it should not modify your drive structure in any way, other than just preventing/getting rid of virus. I consider the ichecker/iswift behavior the same as a virus/trojan's behavior.

16. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

oliverjia,
    please read my post again. :)

17. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

As I think Baz said earlier in this thread that one is entitled to ones opinion...and you are, as I and mine.

I would leave yo with just one thought...what are other programs installed on a computer doing to that computer. Programs constantly write data, etc. to hard drive, some of which by its nature will not be declared. If it was we would spend our time responding to or reading such declarations. IHMO, it basically comes down to a matter of trust. Who ro what you trust and who/what you don't.

Personally I trust the Kaspersky Lab to protect me with their software offerings...they have for a number of years and as such will continune to enjoy me support (personal view here) based on their track record in my experience.

Hopefully, you use or have found, or will do in the future, some security software that does it the way that you want it to.:D

18. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I think if Kaspersky is using the same technology than they chged nothing... all they did was find away around the chkdsk issue & I agree you have to wonder what else will be found. Call me skeptical but they knew about the chkdsk issue going forward in v6 & said & did nothing through v7 till it came to light. Sorry I don't care how good detection is the end result might be you HD going south, sure I'm speculating but no one can say with 100% confidence that the 2009 will not have issues of this kind. If they were smart they would of removed the Ichecker & Iswift technology instead they just chg the label call it 2009 instead of v9 & pretty up the GUI when it was already pretty functional... No matter how much lipstick you put on a pig , it's still a pig, Just my 2 cents...

19. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

ichecker does nothing, it doesn't tag anything, it just creates a file with checksums of a file, then recalculates & compares them, it was there since...even version 4 or 4.5 if i recall.
    plus, if they would have renemaed iswift to isomething just for marketing sakes (you wouldn't have known it's a changed iswift, but you wouldn't see issues), would you have felt better?

20. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

no not really perhaps Kaspersky needs to do a better marketing scheme before going forward with this. I recommended this to a small company I do side work for. They had major issues with it therefore I looked stupid on the recomendation, so I'm a little burned on this issue & just leary. Personally I just had to reformat my machines to clear the crap up. Maybe Kaspersky needs to offer 6 mths of free service for those with issue but their image is tarnished & needs work IMHO. Remember you get one shot at a 1st impression after that it take a lot of work. They need to do more than say sorry here's v2009...

21. oliverjia

Thanks... I read your post and think I understand what you mean...
    However, I don't think it's a case of temp files/unzip engine problem. If you read my post carefully, you will know what I mean.
    If you select all the files/folders on that partition, the file size and # of files/folders did NOT change. The only chaged thing is the "occupied space" on that partition. Which means, there is no any temp files prduced by KAV/KIS left on the drive.
    Hope I made myself clear.

22. oliverjia

I strongly agree with you Larry.
    the reputation and credit of Kaspersky labs were ruined through the drama of how iswift/ichecker was found to be problematic and the way kaspersky has been responding. Truly a shame for kaspersky.
    If a company decides to put crap on your hard drive permanently without letting you know so that they can "improve" the scanning speed of their product, that was truly not the way their customers should be treated. Kaspersky sacrified their customers computer hard drive in order for their product to scanning "fast". And they did not let you know they've taken advantage of your hard drive. What a good company. I will stay away from Kaspersky.

23. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

it was tested, it works, the project manager said they fixed it. other issues sohlud not occur, someone would have noticed it.
    things may go wrong either way with or without iswift, simply put: drivers. it may bsod on 1% of configurations.
    so what, remove drivers? you can't do anything in terms of real time protection without drivers, no low level interception, no proactive defense, it will be useless AV.. but it probably won't cause a bsod.
    Instead why not fix problems for those 1%, of course this is actually harder then just dropping everything.

24. oliverjia

Really?
    then how could you explain the increased "occupied space" on my data partition after the scan by KAV/KIS, but the number of files/folders and file/folders size did not chage?

25. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Geez. Another serious 'Mele20' case o_O

What's the problem? If you don't believe/trust on Kaspersky technology then move on and shut up.
    Bye, we'll miss you :'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.