Kaspersky v.8 (2009) Official Technical Release is out

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Macstorm, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

lets hope i can still upload trace logs and get stuff fixed.
    build 357 is totally unuseable on my system.
    i have posted on the Kl forums about it.
    older beta builds worked on my pc.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  2. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I respect your opinion & BTW I said I 'wouldn't' belive a mag article but maybe I'll try it. However when I get burned I do learn & you see there is yet another release MP1 I believe & who knows where it will go. I have been sticking with av+firewall+SAS & I have been happy . FWIW this year has if anything marked the rushing of software that hasn't quite measured up to expectations & it isn't the problem you may not see today but the one that bites tomorrow that I have grown tired of...

3. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

You know you can.
    Don't worry

4. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Cheers Sjoeii.

I thought I would pop over and see what I could contribute to this topic.

5. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Well, in the worst case scenario v8 (oops, 2009 :p) will have the same detection rate as v7 because the database of known malicious files is identical to v7, plus the heuristics have been slightly tweaked and packer detection added in 2009, so the detection rate should be higher. :)

6. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

I was very supprised to see that everybody here say good stuff about kav2009, but no one critisize it.
    I installed KIS 2009 TR on my home computer to test if they still have ichecker/iswift. Right after installation, I manually scaned one zip file, which is about 20MB on drive E:. Then I noticed that the "occupied space" on Drive E increased about 5MB after the scan. The total file size did not change.
    What a shame. KIS is still writing CRAP on your hard drive!
    Heck, I uninstalled it right away and go back to antivir. What a shameful practice for kaspersky to insist writing crap on your drive before you realize it.

7. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I have to agree with you. There are lots of options in the GUI to explore but it is not that difficult. It seems to me that the most important things are that it gives great protection (hopefully) and doesn't slow things down.

8. Baz_kasp

Here we go again..... product is hardly out of the door and the scaremongering has started. :rolleyes:

Nobody has said KIS2009 does not have ichecker or iswift, but it has been stated that the technology has been modified to prevent the chkdsk issue some people experienced.

FYI to bring some balance to this post,

I scanned my flashdrive which contains a mix of executable files, images, documents and archives...something I had not scanned with KIS2009 before.

Screenshot before:

http://i32.tinypic.com/2e3dac0.jpg

Screenshot after:

http://i26.tinypic.com/30m1xmw.jpg

You decide which seems more reasonable ;) (unless your "E" is NTFS)

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Hmm, I just did the same and no change in occupied space.

Attached Files:

10. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

iswift wouldn't account for such a size difference anyway. maybe windows decided to backup some of the executables kis scanned (system volume information)

11. oliverjia

Man I hope you are not kidding.
    My E is a hard drive partition and surely I used NTFS. Anyone not use NTFS on their hard drive these days?

12. oliverjia

I mentioned it's not the file size that changed, it was the "occupied space" on your hard drive that changed. Which means, KAV/KIS added some stuff onto your hard drive.
    To do this, you need to right click your drive letter (NOT any file folders), select properties to see the occupied space, NOT right click all the files themselves.

13. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Come on Guys
    Tha suite isn't even being released yet!!!

14. oliverjia

I am 90% sure they will keep iswift/ickecker in the final version. The fact why do they do this even when Microsoft specificly told them that the exploit of objectID in NTFS files as in iswift/ickecker is NOT recommended is truly beyond me.

15. oliverjia

I may sound paranoid but I was just so pissed when I asked Kaspersky to refund my money but was rudely rejected, because I found the iswift/ichecker issue and uninstalled KAV/KIS off all my computers. I now have 2 retail boxes of KAV6, and 3 boxes of KIS 6/7 laying in my closet and I had to purchase antivir....
    I think the fact that they put crap on your hard drive, permanently, without noticing you in the first place, is at least immoral. I feel sorry for them.

16. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Me too Baz.
    And I´m glad to see a lot of folks from our Kaspersky forum here too.:D

17. Jin K

Jin K Registered Member

im realy excited :D to see this ver in Av-comparatives

and how its detection rate ??

good luck kaspersky

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well I am putting my faith in Baz Kasp. Ichecker and Iswift cant be worse then Iscrewherupper which is me. The one voice I will listen to would be Blue here if he wants to check it out. But for now, I am a happy camper.

19. Baz_kasp

Small misunderstanding oliverjia no need to jump all over me (Im a bit of a sloth without my coffee) ;)

Just a small note- I really don't see why iswift should be such an issue anymore. It won't cause a chkdsk slowdown anymore and it will not affect the performance of your machine. Problem solved IMO.

You are of course entitled to your opinion just as I am to mine and im not going to convince you otherwise... I assume you are happy with Avira and am glad you have found a suite that works for you.

Baz.

20. denniz

denniz Registered Member

What exactly does this mean? Why is it not recommended? What could be the potential problems?

21. Baz_kasp

Signature wise- exactly the same as version 7, plus a few extras.

However, there are quite a few improvements and some of them are listed here (off the top of my head):

*Improved Heuristics/emulation

*HIPS to restrict the priviliges of unknown applications (it can also alert you to files it has deemed suspicious via emulation...such files will have a high danger index (e.g. 90-100) and will result in a prompt before execution on wether to limit exeuction to "safe" changes only or to allow it to run. Heuristics engine has been improved and will be constantly updated with time to include new generic detections (Denoted by Heur. prefix on detected objects, as with V7)

*Multi Packed files detection
    *Suspicious Packers/compressed files

These two options will not result in every packed file being flagged as suspicious, but in certain circumstances (e.g. a very rarely used legitemate packer being used on an executable file) may be flagged. Currently, I have no packer detections on any files on my laptop or desktop.

I am sure there is more but I can't remember...someone else might pipe in.

22. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Hi oliverjia,
    I think that KIS is only unpacking the (.zip) archive and then processing it, normal for most AVs out there. Temporary files are created and afterward deleted if they aren't necessary anymore. :) The problem is that sometimes those files won't be deleted immediately (because they don't use much HD space, ...like your case) and will be deleted after a reboot. (it's probably linked with how Windows itself manages temporary files). If those temporary files were larger, they would be deleted immediately after the scan has ended... :) That being said, I don't think it's related to iSwift, just the unpacking engine working. :)

@Baz: AFAIK you pretty much listed all :)

23. osip

osip Registered Member

Yes,that´s what it´s all about....Opinions,comparing and testing.Where would we all be without this...? In a bar smoking marihuana ? It´s an addiction in itself...God bless the forum...

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think what was an issue, has been resolved to the fact of doing no harm to your PC. We screw our computers up so many ways and dont even think about it. All I know is this suite is sweet and allows me to dump all other software and use it by itself. My computer can finally smell the fresh air again, even if there is a hint of vodka in it.;)

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

marihuana ?

Hmmm, so are you?;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.