Kaspersky v.8 (2009) Official Technical Release is out

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Macstorm, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. osip

osip Registered Member

I roger that indeed...( I have 5 active vulnerabilities...):D

2. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

it starts with 2, but you can see 3 during a scan, update etc.

3. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

It plays well with DefenseWall. Assuming Kaspersky's usual excellent detection and cleaning abilities, it seems like KIS 2009 plus DW should be more than enough to keep about anyone out of trouble. :D

4. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

doesn't want to install on a system that has been running AVG IS 8:(

After uninstalling AVG and a reboot, Kaspersky's installer says AVG8 is still installed and must first be uninstalled.

It is uninstalled and Windows Security Centre reports no AV running...

Ah well, back to AVG..

5. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

you think it's good, the GUI that tough?, I'm pretty good with technical stuff but has anyone posted a screen shot?

6. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Here's one, Can't beleave this is lighter than the DR.
    Badcompany.

Attached Files:

7. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

AVG forgets to delete this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AVG8Uninstall

8. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Dont know why you're sad... installing 2 AVs on one computer can cause BIG problems... and it'll lead less techie users to think the second AV they installed has massive problems and is crap (although its the user's fault for installing 2 AVs in the first place)... Installing 2 AVs is highly discouraged.

AVG must have left a registry key behind. Thats how Kaspersky checks for other AVs.

9. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Yes :)

Edit: screenshots are in the link in #Post 30

10. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Guessing from the posts in KAV's forums, I'd say that object ID's are still created, but they shouldn't cause problems anymore. I'd like to have the option of disabling them completely, though.

KAV/KIS 2009 sounds like a big leap in technology: rewritten scanning engine, re-worked HIPS, whitelist database (Bit9), vulnerability database (Secunia), malicious sites database, etc. I wonder if Kaspersky can manage such drastic changes while maintaining/improving stability/reliability. Also, judging from the screenshots, the GUI is a mess.

11. larryb52

but this is not a RC is it?, I read the forum where there are some unresolved issues. I have had my share of issues that remain unsolved for 6 mths or more & with Kaspersky's rep with the hidden problem with the check disk issue I'm not sure they can be trusted...

12. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

TR comes after RC (in the case of Kaspersky) and the TR is the version which will be commercially released for customers.
    source: http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279220

Its up to you whether you want to trust Kaspersky or not... by all means, nobody is forcing you to use it if you don't want to :)

13. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

It is a technical release, which means that main development has finished and the product is in the final stages of being released.... there may still be some newer builds before release as was the case with KAV/KIS 7, TR was build .119, and release build was .125

Developers have commented that the implementation of iSwift in KAV/KIS 2009 is reworked and different to that with previous versions (e.g. old type of object id do not work with KAV/KIS 2009).

Installing and scanning with KAV/KIS 2009 should not cause a chkdsk delay, and with that issue gone I do not see why it should be a problem.

GUI is different to 7.0, one of the main reasons being there is simply a lot more options/content to accomodate with KAV/KIS 2009.
    It takes a bit of getting used to, but there is nothing there that should be beyond the scope of a normal user. When designing this version devs wanted to strike a balance that would please both power users and the average user who would like to "set it and forget it".

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kis2009qj1.jpg
    i wouldnt call it a mess.
    i wish KL would reconcider the RC tag for this build.
    why not give it a few more weeks and correct the main known problems?
    but most companies these days realease products and list the main problems in the release notes
    if you know of some problems fix them! dont just list them in release notes.

btw my KL 6 key works with this build so woot!

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  15. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Larry, I agree. Twice bitten v5 and v6 leaves one very leery. I wished Kaspersky or any AV maker for that matter would inform the user of permanent changes made to the user's computer without having to find out later and try to correct problems using user-made methods.

I've learned my lesson. I will wait until the all clear siren sounds.

(places on his flame-proof suit) :blink:

16. larryb52

in this case I would need to see more than a thumbs up by PcMag & I wouldn't put that suit on just yet. I'm sure a lot of people are waiting for the same reason. In fact that maybe a majority.

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well I stand by all my comments and as a average joe, the setup and GUI were not hard, heck it was fun. Wait if you wish but Kaspersky has rewritten the whole meaning of what a suite is. I am still mystified by how light it is.:thumb:

18. Hezakiah

Hezakiah Registered Member

Ah ok lodore, I'll wait on the official release then. Thanks.

19. osip

osip Registered Member

Earlier the complaints always been related to performance issues...This is solved, and I think that´s the major gaining...Upon that KL has gone in clinch with other vendors with the HIPS inclusive which makes it in a final stage a very, very strong combat...The last intensive security apps development has reached a furious fighting and KIS/KAV with this TR release has shown that they will regain leading position...Of course we will se bugs and minor adjustment but overall this is really something...

20. larryb52

don't be mystified be afraid. If somethings that light it makes you wonder what's what & if something is too good to be true than it means it usually is...

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

totally disagree. If you want to render a thought on this, you really should try it and then submit your thought. Kaspersky knows of the hole they had dug and really looking up was the only way out. I was once a Kaspersky never going buyer, and this one product has revamped my thoughts. I watched Larry, the beta as it was created. They listened very carefully inward and outward at what was wanted. I will quit rambling and if it is magazine reviews that it will take to make you see, then that is cool and I respect it. But I challenge anyone to show me a complete product that can even walk the ground with this suite.

22. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

It is "light" because they reworked the scanning engine, tweaked it for efficient use of multi core machines, and specifically focussed on improving scanning speed because of feedback from users that previous versions were "slow" (compared to other solutions).....

There were many discussions on the KL forum where developers were asking for feedback on scanning times as the engine was optimised and settings refined.

Unfortunately there is no juicy reason apart from that for the lightness ;)

23. osip

osip Registered Member

Let´s see in future AV-comparative...

24. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Hi Baz

Good to see you here ;)

25. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

You'll be surprised

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.