Kaspersky resource hog?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by motley, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motley

motley Registered Member

Hi all,

I have no idea where to ask this question, so I'm asking it here as I believe Kaspersky may be at the root of my problems, or at least the most decipherable symptom of my problems. By these forums, there also seem to be some very knowledgeable posters here.

I am using Kaspersky 6 on a brand new computer and everything has been fine for about a month or so. Suddenly, a few of days ago, my computer slowed to a crawl without any apparent reason. I have run dozens of adaware scans, virus scans, and hard drive checks and the only thing I can find that seems to be unusual is that Kaspersky is constantly taking up 24 - 26% of my system resources. No other program is taking up resources.

I find this disconcerting as my rig is pretty good, with a 2.4gig quad core Conroe and 2 gigs of very very fast ram.

If I kick off a system scan in Kaspersky, it takes approximately 2 days (!) to complete the scan, and then show no issues. I cannot stop the avp.exe process as I get an 'access is denied' dialogue.

Last piece of information, my computer is most noticeably slow when browsing the net. Even loading my google home page can take forver, and will often freeze the computer for several minutes.

Could this be a Kaspersky problem, or do you think it's indicative of a deeper issue? Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Welcome motley :) I don't use Kaspersky, but in order to get better help we need more information. What is the exact version your using and is it the Anti-virus, internet security or the AOL AVS version?

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

There's something baddly wrong with your rig if you notice any slowdown.
    I'm running a 3,2 GHz E4300 and 2GB of RAM and i haven't noticed any slowdown what so ever when using AOL AVS (same thing as KAV6). Running Vista though...

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im running a pc based on AMD 3200 single core and i dont notice any slowdown from kaspersky.
    i used to use kis6.0 and had a few slowdowns.
    but i have no slowdowns with kis7.0TR.
    and OMG 2 days for a scan.
    how much data do you have?
    you should post on the kaspersky forums.
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showforum=4
    lodore

5. motley

motley Registered Member

I'm using KIS 6.0 and running Win XP SP2.

The odd thing is that everything seems to be running fine according to my device manager.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes but it could be a software conflict
    please post the same thread at the kaspersky forums with the software you use to see if there a conflict.
    you could always try kis7.0Tr its very stable and light.
    lodore

7. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

A system scan should not take over 2 days to run (even a total defrag should not be that long even on Windows 98 on a Pentium II). Use Process Explorer to see what is running on your PC. I have never used Kaspersky software, but I did experience really slow response and cursor freezes when I installed a new version of McAfee VirusScan on one of my PCs last year. It was as if the AV was tracking my mouse all over the screen and checking each pointer location. Really annoying. I immediately removed the program. But for the program to run fine and then all of a sudden cause your problem, it might be something else. As a suggestion, I would try de-installing Kaspersky and then install another AV product to see if you get the same stalling problem. If you still do, then there is likely something else causing the delays. I would also try posting your problem on the Kaspersky forum just to see if they can help out.

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

motley,

What other programs - of any type (security or other) - are also constantly running on this machine and have there been any changes in that group of programs recently?

Blue

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'll play psychic here. Cause I don't know what apps OPs running.

I blame the problem on one or more of these apps:
    spysweeper, counterspy, diskeeper, pestpatrol, xp firewall, aol software (not AVS) & or a 2nd realtime AV.

10. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

motley, what version of KAV6 are you using? And are you using Windows Defender with it?

:)

11. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

It's not Kaspersky that is causing the slowdown, it's M$ operating systems that are born already to be sick and fat. :D Try an other operating system and you will feel at least two times quicker web site openings and even free and without infections. ;)

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@zapjb,
    diskeeper works fine along side kis6.0 and kis7.0
    but the OP might of forgot the exclusions.
    spysweeper i would agree with since its a big resourse hog
    lodore

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Not letting me get away with anything huh lodore. :)

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

:D
    you had a good hunch
    lodore

15. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

I don't let AOL software touch my computer..

16. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I've tested a Kaspersky Scan on my AMD Athlon 64x2 Live! Dual Core 4600+ 2GB RAM 2.40Ghz and it took 24 Minutes to do a Complete Scan :cool:

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

very nice.
    wonder how long it would take on the new 3GHZ intel core duo 2 that people over clock on air to 4.2ghz lol
    lodore

18. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Its sounds like you definitely have some other app writing to/reading from your hard drive contantly and as a consequence Kav is then always scanning these files
    Down load Autoruns from Sysinternals and use it to see which apps you have loading from startup:-some will be hidden from msconfig/startup and some will not show in windows task manager
    Sorry but cannot be of more help without knowing what you have installed on your PC:-would just be shooting in the dark

Appears Microsoft now "own" Sysinternals!
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/Autoruns.mspx

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.