Kaspersky rescue CD question!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ratchet, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

So a friend in the next town calls last evening because he has a trojan that is demanding his credit card numbers. Not sure if it was a fake A-V or just something similar but after XP would load it wouldn't let him do anything else. So I search out how to install Malwarebytes on a thumb drive but my initial results were bringing up threads from 2009/10 and some of them were saying you couldn't do that. So then I searched rescue CDs and read ComboFix and some other reviews and was spooked off with caveats about analyzing what you remove. I knew most of the A-Vs now have rescue CDs so I chose K first and find a review that originally claimed they didn't keep it updated but the reviewer had that crossed out and had added that they really stay on top of it now. I search further and find a thread "K 2010 rescue update 6/9/2012" or something like that. So it being just two days old I download/burn it and head to my friends home. Now in one of the threads it stated that it would open in a Linux environment and at another site it did show two different downloads (back to this point later). So we attempt to boot from the DVD (that is all I had) three, four, maybe more times and all that ever happens is it shows like 20/30 file types then loads Windows, so we are thinking his DVD player isn't working. Long story long it turns out the virus was gone. So two questions: Is this how it is supposed to work, just quickly showing the files it has cleaned? Are there two different downloads, the Linux one for a system that won't even boot? Thank you for reading the long epic!
    edit: and yes, I had changed the BIOS setting to boot from CD/DVD!

2. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I usually use the download link in Item No. 1 of Step No. 2 on this web page:

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208286083

However, the Malware signatures seem to always be lagging behind by about 3 weeks.

The Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 has good wired and wireless support.

The following two Antivirus Rescue Disks typically have up-to-date Malware signatures at the time of download.

1. Dr.Web LiveCD
    2. Avira Rescue System CD

4. Troy45

Troy45 Registered Member

5. harlan4096

harlan4096 Registered Member

6. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

7. harlan4096

harlan4096 Registered Member

YW :) this image is updated but not very regularly ... maybe twice a month or so, anyway ...

Regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.