Kaspersky PURE Released... :) Kaspersky's Version of Total Security

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sourav_gho, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Actually, the data I previously referenced is “worldwide security-software market share.” On that basis, it does not appear that Kaspersky can be considered a “major player in world terms.”

If you have more recent (or what you perceive to be more reliable) sources for the market share distribution of anti-virus vendors than those that I provided, please do post them. Personally, I think the New York Times and Gartner easily qualify as highly trustworthy sources.

FYI -- Symantec reports sales growth of $143 million in fiscal 2009 over fiscal 2008 for its consumer business. I wonder what the corresponding numbers are for Kaspersky?

Yes -- consider the strong performance of Kaspersky in the recent tests conducted by Dennis Technology Lab, AV-Comparatives and AV-Test.

2. format_c

format_c Registered Member

KL is not the public company, it belongs ~4 private persons - Kaspersky, his former wife knocked out of CEO chair by a police force and 1 or 2 anonymous persons from England. so, it's impossible to know the truth at all. there is one way only to be sure , an insider's information or data leak. the first way is easy enough.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I love posts like this. Who gives a rats ass, really. All that matters is does the software work and right now, Kaspersky cant be touched by anyone. I dont care if Homer Simpson owned the company. If it works, then that is what matters.

4. format_c

I don't like KGB even more than a mafia and software from KGB, 'cuz. :thumbd:

5. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Funny how topic title has turned into a boxing ring :cautious:

6. Pleonasm

Actually, using primary marketing research techniques and secondary sources, companies such as Gartner are in fact able to estimate market share: see Methodologies: Market Share.

Please review the recent dynamic test results generated by AV-Comparatives, AV-Test and Dennis Technology Lab for an alternative point-of-view.

7. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

just shows what I wrote in an earlier post about this guy to be accurate re knocking products he dislikes,think most of the bull he writes can be taken with a pinch of salt!:He seems to have a grudge which seems to make him write rather randomly!
    As for size mattering either in a single country or globally:- which would you rather have a GM vehicle or a Ferrari?:-I think GM are the bigger company but then again they don't make the better product!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  8. fax

fax Registered Member

More a wrestling match... fake from the beginning :D

9. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Please don't forget, that AV-C's tests, is based on the AV product only, not the IS product. I'll seriously doubt, that you can get anything by the IS product, with the right settings ;)

Cheers

10. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

You have no credibility with silly comments such as this.

With the right settings and usability, yes, but with default settings to keep usability easy, there has to be a sacrifice. In automatic/default settings, it has good protection, yes, but lets not kid ourselves, it will not prevent 100% of infections if you do not use additional security components such as SafeRun or the user does not have safe surfing habits. No AV will.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  11. steve1955

don't think he has any anyway so silly comments aren't going to change things!

12. format_c

do you think it's only yours rights? well, I'll follow that :) I leave this for you ;) go on, buddy!

13. steve1955

anybody any idea what he/she means??(on drugs??)

14. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Out of curiousity: does it allow immediate outbound access for all programs/services that are digitally signed/whitelisted ?

That was my previous experience with KIS 2010, and it seemed there was no way around it. You could restrict outbound access of a certain application, but only after you had used it.

15. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Yes, in automatic mode...it is configurable in expert mode.

16. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Yes, it allows immediate access for trusted digital signatures/whitelisted.
    Kaspersky Pure is KIS + additional stuff. Functionality of KIS remains the same in Pure.

See this thread from the Kaspersky forum for a workaround, namely post #7 (change the green Allow ticks to the yellow Prompt).
    Posts 2, 10, and 14 will also help if you have troubles.

17. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I can't read the attachments, since I'm not logged in.

Maybe it's possible, but it's certainly not user-friendly.

18. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Attached screenshot from post #10 by user harlan4096 of how to do it.
    Sin_t__tulo.png

19. Pleonasm

Concerning the most recent Whole Product Dynamic Test by AV-Comparatives (December, 2009), it was security suites -- not just the anti-virus components -- that were tested. Kaspersky did well, but it’s clearly not the case that “Kaspersky can’t be touched by anyone” (as asserted by trjam in reply #53).

20. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

It's true that the whole product dynamic test, was security suites, but the "normal" tests, Retrospective/Proactive Test & On-demand Comparative, is for AV only, as you already know....and yes, Kaspersky can be touched, all products can, but I'll still say, with the right settings and common sense, it's gonna be one hell of a bumpy ride, getting through it's protection ;)
    JMHO

Cheers

21. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thanks.

So you get a prompt for every application.

But don't you get the same for every Windows service, process (for example: lsass.exe) etc. ?
    Being 'bombarded' by popups isn't fun.

22. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

If you changed the settings to prompt, yes, but you will also have the option to trust/deny the application's network connections and not having the popup again from it. This can be done via the firewall (screenshot 1) or ticking the box "apply forever" in the network popup (screenshot 2).

Screenshot 1 (made by harlan4096)
    Sin_t__tulo (2).png

Screenshot 2 (by me)
    z.png

23. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Unfortunately, 99.9999% of users dont change the settings of their AV product.

24. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

This might not be true for users of alternative AV's.

25. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.