Kaspersky Personal PRO 5.0 Released !!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ncs, Oct 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Mele

Sorry, i had to go away from the computer while typing my post, when i came back i quickly finished it and submitted, so i simply didn't notice your post. No disrespect was intended. Rich should of course use your link. :)

To kfkjdfjdkjf Guest:
    That could explain i have no trouble at all, you see i don't use system restore. ;) :) Ads can left out during install in new beta, i am using this at the moment (with ADS). :)

Regards

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  2. Socio

Socio Registered Member

richrf,

One more thing you should know about Pro 4.5;
    4.5 was great but its interface is a bit confusing and hard to navigate, and a lot of people were turned off by that. 5.0’s interface is a whole other animal very easy to understand and navigate, believe me it is like night and day. I am just saying this because KAV is a great program, my opinion the best antivirus program there is and did not want you to judge 5.0 on what you see with 4.5. I like you used to use NAV and after using Kaspersky I would never go NAV again.

Note: I believe you can contact Kaspersky and get a temporary key to use for 5.0 if you want to test that version out instead.

3. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

KAV also will refund your money within 30 days if you don't like the app.

Seems to be working fine here. Disabled iStreams whichs should help take care of drive fragmentation and a potential system restore issue.

Kind of odd though, this is their flaship product and as of this point, no way to set up and use the extended databases.

4. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Mele20 and Don,

First, thanks much for the link Mele. I am downloading as I write and I am looking forward to trying out 4.5.104.

I did try out 5.0 a couple of months ago and it did not behave very well on my machine. There seemed to be lots of conflicts and I had a couple of crashes right away. From what I can tell on the KAV user's forum, other users have also experienced problems with 5.0 and therefore are staying with or purchasing 4.5 for one reason or another. I think it is a case-by-case situation. In my case, 4.5 may be the better choice right now. NAV runs on my machine with absolutely no problems but I am uncomfortable with the weekly update policy. Particularly with the spped viruses and trojans propogate nowadays. Ditto with McAfee. The dat file I am using is dated Oct. 14. Both a good programs. I will probably choose McAfee because of its better detection rate if my test of 4.5.104 does not turn out well.

Thanks for all of your assistance. I am looking forward to tracking the progress of 5.0 since I believe it is an excellent product.

Rich

5. Don Pelotas

Hi Rich

In case you are interested, then you can download the beta ftp://ftp.kaspersky.com/beta/kavpersonal/ ( including a betakey expiring 13-12-2004) of the latest 5.0 personal. I am using it and it is good (no prob's). During install there's an option to disable ads. :)

Regards

6. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Don et al,

Thanks for the additional link to KAV Personal 5.0. It is not clear from KAV's site what features are included in Pro that are not in Personal. Does anyone have a link or a quick outline of what I might be missing? Is it important features for a home user?

Also, I was also a bit surprised to read on the KAV forum that extended databases are not available yet under Pro. Is this true?

Thanks again for the help.

Rich

7. Don Pelotas

Pro has an office guard, 100% macro protection and has an integrity checker, there is probably more, but these are the only ones i remember. I am not sure if this really needed for home use.

Yes, extended databases are not available yet under Pro, but will be in the next MP. :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  8. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks Don.

The Macro protection would seem useful if I had to download an attached Word document. Do you, or anyone else, know if there is some built in macro checking in Personal?

The Integrity Checker also seems useful, but since files are changing all the time, how does Kasperky report all the changes and filter out only those that can be a violation? For example, there are software updates coming down from the Web all the time. Does the Integrity Checker only really work on a fairly stable machine where there are very few file changes in a given day or week?

Thanks for any info.

Rich

9. KAV User

KAV User Guest

I'm confused about the two posters who stated that the Pro version found a virus that their Personal version had not found. I think either the settings were different or the defs were outdated.....the versions should not have mattered in detecting the viruses....the engines are the same...the defs are what count.

10. myluvntt

myluvntt Guest

Yeah, it's finnally out!!!!!! I use this and NOD 32 at the same time, no problem.

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

What you don't get in 5.0 Personal that you do get in 4.5 personal and the new 5.0 Pro is a great deal of configurability. 5.0 personal is a "plain Jane" version intended for OEMs. It lacks a lot and does not find as many malware as 4.5 does. I haven't yet downloaded a trial of 5.0 Pro but I believe it has all the configurability of 4.5 personal but, of course, has the much better GUI of 5.0 personal. The 4.5 GUI is yucky even if the small font size is ok for you (it is not that small on my 17" CRT monitor but on this 19" flat panel I can't read it without get a headache from straining or I have to use a magnifying glass). I would have bought 4.5 some time ago if the GUI was more readable as I loved the extreme configurability.

Many users were hoping to be able to use the personal key on the Pro edition so that they could get the configurability of the 5.0 Pro that is so sorely lacking in 5.0 personal and have the additional elements that are for Pro only greyed out. From what I read yesterday at IKON that is sadly not the case. But that may be temporary. I don't need the extra features in the Pro edition. I just want the same configurability that I would get with 4.5 personal but with the new GUI for 5.0 that I can easily read. So, if it remains true that the 5.0 personal key will not work on 5.0 Pro with the additional Pro features greyed out then KAV is evidently not for me.

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Not to worry. :) I should have figured that was what happened. I've had that happen to me enough times!

13. richrf

richrf Registered Member

The Installation from Hell! :rolleyes:

I downloaded a trial copy of Personal 5.0, figuring that I would turn off the monitor as I could with 4.5 - only 5.0 went ahead and installed itself alongisde McAfee and then all hell broke loose. The machine would hang up immediately. I couldn't stop either McAfee or KAV 5.0 from loading. I couldn't even delete the KAV files in Safe Mode. The Unistall procudure would just hang. I was trapped! No matter what I did, I could not stop KAV from loading and hanging the machine alongside McAfee. Finally, I was able to get to the Diamondcs.com.au site and used Taskman to kill one of the KAV processes which allowed me to delete enough KAV files so that I could finally stop the darn thing from loading. I then, we great joy, deleted every remnant of KAV that I could find, the final clearing being performed by Crap Cleaner.

That whole thing took me over two hours - and I was sweating buckets as I was trying to figure out how to get out of the endless cycle of KAV loading and the hanging.

I figure I will have to uninstall McAffe completely, something I am loathe to do, since I may end up using it as my choice for an AV. Does 5.0 Pro allow me to choose which components to load as 4.5 does. If not, I think I will just go ahead and live with 4.5 as a backup to McAfee. It could be worse. ;)

Rich

14. 1234

1234 Guest

It lacks a lot and does not find as many malware as 4.5 does.

-------------

Untrue!

15. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

You are correct. I have yet to find even one.

16. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

I installed KAVPP 5 over 4.5 & it went very smoothly except for one thing: it stops my email client (Barca) from getting through to my POP3 account when email scanning is enabled. I'm tinkering away trying to fix it - any ideas would be welcome. It's probably something obvious.

17. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

It may be a minor point but how can I create a desktop icon to bring up the PRO interface rather than having to click the tray icon? I had no difficulty with KAV 5 Personal.

Pity about the extented databases, even though I didn't use them often.

I like the extra configurability though.

I guess I'll stick with Pro, I couldn't be bothered to uninstall it now it's settled in!

18. Don Pelotas

Can't you do it this way: Start > all programs > in the kaspersky folder rightclick on kaspersky anti-virus personal pro and choose send to desktop ? :)

19. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I cannot connect to the extended databases not even when doing it manually...damn...

20. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Thanks Don Pelotas, you're right! I was having one of my 'funny' moments trying to use the icon in C/Program Files/Kaspersky Lab which didn't work!

21. Don Pelotas

You're welcome, i have them too. ;)

22. Don Pelotas

This will be will be added with next fixes/mp's acording to IgorK, there seems to be a "new" version out 5.0.14 ftp://ftp.kaspersky.com/products/release/english/ in case you haven't seen it. :)

23. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

I want to go back to 4.5 (mainly because 5 blocks my emails but also because it seems more configurable). But they seem to have removed 4.5 personal pro downloads from the kaspersky site. Does anyone know whhere it is available?

24. Don Pelotas

Yes, here ftp://ftp.kaspersky.com/products/release/english/homeuser/kavpersonalpro4.5/, i would run the streamsremover after uninstalling 5.0 just to be sure. :)

25. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Be careful with the KAV Streams Remover. It fried my video drivers. Others have had the same thing happen. I would not touch that KAV tool again. Use Streams from System Internals instead and then clean the remaining ones using TDS_3. Those are safe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.