Kaspersky: Mac, Linux, BSD open for attack

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I have read that article a few days ago and found it very biased. First, Kaspersky has an agenda. Second, blank statements are nothing but populist politics: "Even OpenBSD..." Yes, everything is flawed by design. That does not mean the flaws are going to be the cause of any major problem any time soon if ever.
    Mrkl

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Only KAV and KIS are not flawed by design. :rolleyes:

Good marketing stunt.

4. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

They definitely have an agenda and it it does seem to stretch the truth. I don't know enough about the operating system to make an argument. I'd guess the statement that 'all operating systems including unix like OSs have vulnerabilities' is closer to the truth though. Something you would agree with Mrk? Also the point that if executable aren't tightly controlled (i.e.unsigned), people will be trigger happy and click whatever they want seems valid.

5. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Vulnerabilities exist. Of course. It's self-evident and obvious as the sun. But the path from possible vulnerabilities to actual "problems" is a long, long one. Like saying, a man could die from a lightning strike. And how often does this happen?

And then, a man could also take a 50-m earthing rod and climb onto Empire State building in a summer thunderstorm.

Mrk

6. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Perhaps that risk is bigger than some people realise? Distro maintainers have a lot of control over default options. I've seen default login of users. Some of these user friendly policy decisions have contributed greatly to windows being exploitable. If a linux distro does it, isnt there an issue there?

7. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    How many people you know / heard of got their distro compromised?
    Exactly.
    Mrk

8. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

You are right, I havent heard of anyone else who has got their linux install compromised...but thats because I don't know that many other people using linux. Isnt that part one of the points of the article?

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think the article is nonsense.... like Mrkvonic says, what's possible in theory and what happens practically speaking are 2 very different things, and I won't believe random blanket statements till I see actual details and exploits emerge...... Perhaps when we see Linux, Unix and Mac home desktop users dominate the home user market like Win now does, then maybe enough people will pick at 'em till something gives. But I won't hold my breath..... :)

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

mac's are starting to malware. but of course you have to excute it and give the malware your root password so it can install. so once again user fault.
    i know that all operatin systems have flaws. what counts is how fast the flaws are fixed. as default unix based operating systems are more secure. a simple example all user accounts have limited rights. quite alot of distros only allow logining in as root at the commandline. of course you still get the prompt for higher rights when its needed.

soon enough pretty much all applications that work on windows will work on any unix based operating system.
    sooner the better IMO. the more people who use an operating system other than windows it will force microsoft to create a better OS otherwise they will lose money fast.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  11. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

This is pretty much old news. McAfee and Trend Micro basically said the same thing in an article written on Dec 5, 2001. Here's the Link

12. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Is no more!
    Sad, but genuinely funny :D

13. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

The way I see it, Linux for instance, still only has about a 1% market share. It's more secure by design and all users are using browsers such as FF or Opera. I may be wrong but i'd also say that the average Linux user is probably more tech savvy than an average Windows user. I can't see any major exploits for some time yet if at all. What's the point? Why would anyone go to the trouble of trying to exploit it when they've got all those juicy MS users to go after? Surely it would be a futile exercise?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.