Kaspersky (Less than CPU Friendly)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DVD+R, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

There is obviously some conflict between Kaspersky and something else on your system. A KIS 2012 Full Scan at the highest level of detection averages 3% CPU Usage on my Windows 7 PC and KIS 2012 has never failed to launch in the 3 months I have been using it.

Is everything that you have in your signature installed and or running when you scan with Kasperskyo_O

As far as scan time goes, I scan nightly while I am sleeping and as long as the scan takes less than 4 hours I wouldn't notice..

Not a KIS fanboy and in fact, while I do feel comfortable with KIS protecting my system, I will be switching to Emsisoft OA and AM as a result of Emsisoft's stellar performance in MRG flash tests and their awesome 8th anniversary promo.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. jjc225

jjc225 Registered Member

Interesting that Lavasoft snagged Alexander Adamov from Kaspersky to lead their research and technology development wing. Lavasoft is also shifting significant resources connected with their malware labs to the Ukraine. More Russian presence, along with Dr. Web and various others. By the way, what about Security Stronghold, another Russian av company? It is widely regarded as producing rogues. Is it rogueware? Just wondering.

http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/...earch-and-technology-development-for-expanded

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  3. EscapeVelocity

EscapeVelocity Registered Member

Ive got Kaspersky running on my new laptop which came with a 1 year license.

I notice that it lags up boot time noticeably, meaning when its time for Kaspersky to load it takes its jolly good time, but not unbearably slow....but noticeable.

I works good, but Im thinking about uninstalling and going with my favorite Avast.

BTW, McAfee was installed originally, and the Best Buy folks removed it (left remnants in the Programs Start Menu) and installed this by mistake (I didnt upgrade to the Kaspersky or whatever).

I really dont care to much for either of them. Though they no doubt both do good jobs.

I always wanted to try Kaspersky, though. Meh...

4. Atul88

Atul88 Registered Member

I personally never liked Kaspersky, dumped it after KIS2010. While a strange thing happened. What happen was i extract a trojan from zip to desktop. Trojan is on the desktop-KIS doing nothing, single click on trojan-KIS sleeping:eek: , checking the properties of trojan-KIS still sleeping:mad: , right click-scan with KIS- It starts panicking- Virus found Virus found:blink: , While Avast found the same trojan as the time it was extracted. So why very slow reaction time??
    Few days ago i installed KIS2012 on my client's PC (As it is very cheap here in India), I saw the same thing with it:argh:...

5. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Umm. So after posting that there was no issue with my KIS 2012 full scans, last night's full scan froze at 68% and the only way to stop the scan (after 5 hours OO) was to reboot. A look at the KIS Forum shows that this is a new bug that many users are experiencing.

As of this morning I have made the switchover to Emsisoft (earlier than anticipated :)

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Not good. I will have to check that out. I have licenses for 3 other products to fall back on if they start screwing up. :doubt:

7. hawki

hawki Registered Member

8. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I used to love Kaspersky from version 5.0, after that it took too much CPU/MEM for me.

Kaspersky Cloud AV with Proactive Detection, where are you? :shifty:

9. sean_daj

sean_daj Registered Member

Yes after it reaches 90% it takes a hour to finish the rest. I stopped using KAV because of this

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I found v5 to be the worst. I started a scan with it and it said it was going to take 3 days. And hard drives were much smaller then. I really liked 6 and 7. Since then I have felt it is a lesser product.

Cloud protection is already included. There is a button on the main page of the interface. You can right click any file and there is an option for "Check reputation in KSN".

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

In my experience KIS have ALWAYS taken up lots of CPU when doing full scans (I have used it since 2009 every now and then, last time i used it was with the 2012 version for almost the full month of trial) :D

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  12. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

I've never had problems with CPU usage even with a Core 2 Duo, but I/O usage is so high that the slowdown is noticable (and the scans do take pretty long). I don't find it a large issue though since I don't see the point in running full scans unless I suspect a possible infection, which happens.. almost never.

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

It's like a Nightmare isn't It, It just gets worse and worse (Taken from the Movie... Colour of Money) which Kaspersky obviously likes the colour of yours and mine, and cares about little else :cautious:

14. antivirus22

antivirus22 Registered Member

15. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I don't really think it's a flaw, it just seems that KIS likes to fully take advantage of a system resources when doing full scans :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.