Kaspersky Labs now updating antivirus databases every hour

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by izi, Aug 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izi

izi Registered Member

Kaspersky Labs, a leading information security software developer, announces the launch of a unique new service: hourly antivirus database updates. Up until now, antivirus database updates have been released every three hours for downloading via the Internet.

Over the last five years, the number of malicious programs which Kaspersky Anti-Virus databases detect has increased almost 80 times. This is due to the fact that up to several hundred new viruses appear every day. In 2000, 63 updates were released; in 2001 - 205; in 2002 - 652; in 2003 - 818; and this year more than 1500 antivirus
    database updates have already been released. Kaspersky Labs virus analysts estimate that by the end of 2004 at least 5000 scheduled updates will be released.

Alongside scheduled updates, Kaspersky Labs also releases additional urgent updates for antivirus databases. These updates are a rapid response to virus epidemics, providing protection within 30 minutes of threatening virus activity being detected.

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

One more reason to choose KAV ;)

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

For me that is not a reason for choosing KAV. I had KAV 4.5 set to check once every 24 hours as that seems plenty often enough. I dont flatter myself that I will ever be one of the first to get a virus because I practice safe hex at all times so the need for me to even have an av is low. But I suppose for those who take constant risks that this might be a good idea. I have only had one virus in over 5 years (stealth boot virus on a brand new blank plastic wrapped floppy). I never get spyware either so this kind of thing is overkill and just a gimmick for me. :)

4. wings

wings Registered Member

... never spyware, yeah right, thanks for the laugh, I appreciate it! :D

5. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I think they mean updates will be issued hourly if they are needed to counter a threat

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I don't think so Steve, izi forgot the headline, which says:

Link to the article

Regards :)

7. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I think this is a bad idea, they will end with quality control problems in the RUSH to get updates out every hour, instead of insuring that they work properly and without false positives or interfering with legitimate programs. I think they will also run into the problem of detecting more garbage just because they HAVE to put out an update every hour even if all the current threats would be covered.

8. steve1955

I had already read the article but an update is just that:-an update, so if after 1hr(or any length of time really) if no update is needed surely none will be released(or what are you updating?)

9. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

If there is no update, no update will be released.

10. flyrfan111

I agree with you but my understanding of their news release which states;

Kaspersky Labs now updating antivirus databases every hour

Kaspersky Labs, a leading information security software developer, announces the launch of a unique new service: hourly antivirus database updates. Up until now, antivirus database updates have been released every three hours for downloading via the Internet.

I take this to mean they will issue and update within every hour, so like you said if there are no current pressing threats to counter what will they update? Adding new and almost useless updates is all I can come up with. This will have the effect of creating an even larger definition base which will slow an already painfully slow scan rate.

11. steve1955

I dont find this to be the case:- I use both kav and nod if you set nod to scan using ah it is slower than kav for a full scan on my machine and only using ah with nod do you get anywhere near the thoroughness of kav(and even then archives aren't scanned to the same extent)! Its all a case of how thoroughly you want your PC scanned

12. Don Pelotas

Steve and Viking, i agree 100%. Steve my only motive was to link you to the acticle in case you haden't ( is that a word? :D ) seen it. To me it seems like a marketing thing, because as you said, if there are no new malware, what do you put in the update. :)

13. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Let's say Company A says they only release weekly updates. So they will continually add their updates to a central database, and release at the end of the weekly period. As there is no point where nothing is found, you will never miss a release.
    Now let's say they have an update cycle of every 3 hours. Since the definitions are continually compiled (same quality). At the end of each 3 hours, whatever is successfully examined and defined is released.
    When it switches to 1 hour updates, they are not forced to release something every hour. Just the release cycle is 1 hour now. Whatever is new and tested is added to the next hourly update. If there is nothing, then there is no update.

Also keep in mind that if f KAV doesn't release updates every 3 hours 24/7 now, they won't release hourly updates 24/7. The numbers themselves show. KAV said they released over 1500 updates this year. If they had to release something every 3 hours they would have over 2000.

14. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Sorry for the belated comment, but...

Nasties are much easier to catch these days, you know, even when you practice safe hex. And spyware/adware is even easier to come by.

15. flyrfan111

Ok Viking, I guess that is a much better explanation, Steve I use NOD also and it scans MUCH faster than KAV. I trialed KAV5 and it took an hour and a half to scan where as NOD takes about 25 mins.

16. steve1955

By default nod doesn't use AH if you enable that option using command line or this util:-http://www.nod32.it/tools/NODSE.ZIP the scan is much slower

17. Don Pelotas

That sounds consistent with what i have found (nod with ah/ kav 5), it takes 10-12 mins with NOD and 28-30 with KAV5, but doesn't say much about how effective any antivirus is at detecting virusses. :)

18. flyrfan111

I am using the beta so AH is enabled in AMON, IMON and the new DMON as well as the on demand scanner without Paoli's extensions. That's how I get the 25 mins. Prior to the beta without using AH extension a full scan took about 18 mins. The extra 7 mins is not what I would consider excessive, still way shy of the hour and a half with KAV.

19. flyrfan111

I totally agree but I was just adressing the isssue of speed that was mentioned be cause I didn't want to wander too far off the topic. KAV is almost unusable as it slows my systems to a rcrawl and causes all kinds of stuttering and such. As for detection of nasties yes KAV may be a bit better but between NOD and safe hex I don't feel any worse off using NOD as opposed to KAV. NOD is the best "usable" AV IMO on my systems. The trojan detection is being improved greatly and you just can't beat the small footprint. Yes I know F-prot is close or better on some systems but again it just didn't jive with my systems for some reason and I really like the new AH, I feel Heuristics is the way to go when supplemented by definitions as NOD is, a total heuristic approach would not work IMO. Anyway back on topic sorry for wandering so far off.

20. Don Pelotas

flyrfan111, i have used kav/nod for a number of years, and find them to be IMHO the two most effective in catching those "nasties". But, as you said, back on topic. :)

21. Clowny

Clowny Registered Member

I might as well have you ROFL, since I haven't had spyware on my box in about a year. Secure IE settings, The Proxomitron, IE SPYAD, Spywareblaster, a good hosts file & Safe hex can do wonders for spyware prevention.

To get back on topic, hourly virus updates sound good to me.

22. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Ditto. I've been using Proxomitron for three years now. Plus, I almost never use IE. I use Firefox and Mozilla. I, of course, have Spyware Blaster for the rare times I have to use IE and I have Script Sentry (used that for many years). These plus safe hex have kept me from getting spyware. The only spyware Adaware or Spybot has ever found on this XP box or my older W98SE box is the Alexa key (no Alexa tool bar present so the key is harmless) and the typelib key which was several years and we discussed it at dslr and either concluded that was a false positive or harmless...something like that. I did willingly get Bonzai Buddy many years ago when a friend insisted I get it. I hated it and got rid of it quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.