Kaspersky Labs CEO calls for the end of internet anonymity

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by c2d, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Thanks for the links I no more than U, I am off to read them now.....

HKEY1952

2. HKEY1952

The document at playground.sun is an old document (November 6, 1999) an lot of things have changed since.
    There are enough IP's in IPv6 that IPv6 can be embedded without the need to append serial numbers, IPv6 has virtually unlimited IP's
    An IPv6 Address can be assigned to an device indefinitely, there will never be more than one instance of the IPv6 Assigned Address.

HKEY1952

3. I no more

I no more Registered Member

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6
    http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4941

Yeah, I do agree with you that having a portion of the IP address always tied to the MAC address is a security issue. Even with a spoofed MAC address it could be a problem (if the MAC address isn't changed frequently). However the spoofing of the MAC address plus these other measures that are being implemented will probably be sufficient. Only time will tell.

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

That made a lot of sense, HKEY. Do you know what a troll is? If you did, you could never read my posts here at Wilders since 2004 as "trolling". Yours on the other hand, serving up misinformation and then running off to say your lawyers have told you not to write on a topic anymore, (remember that?)...I'll leave it there.

I can only speculate how hard it must be for you.

Back to topic?

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Good advice for all to follow....

Blue

6. HKEY1952

Yea.....only time will tell partner.....

HKEY1952

7. I no more

I no more Registered Member

Okay, how about this. I think this whole topic is a moot point. In my opinion, there is no way to reliably verify identities online. Any security measure that is put in place can probably be bypassed. The human mind is designed to authenticate/identify people by facial features, appearance, voice, etc. Any internet authenitication system is simply a lot of technological barriers, which can be bypassed by technological means. The only thing that can really be done is to make it a little more difficult to be anonymous online.

But the people really motivated to be anonymous will go to great lengths, including identity theft. You can't stop motivated individuals from being anonymous online. The only people it hurts are ordinary people looking for some privacy. It also hurts ordinary people who need anonymity to create positive changes. It's a lose-lose to try to implement what Kaspersky is suggesting.

8. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

Eugene Kaspersky just responded to this in Kaspersky's Viruslist.com weblog.

http://www.viruslist.com/en/weblog

My opinion about this is quite neutral, it would have it's good and bad sides, however it's never going to happen.

9. SundariDevi

SundariDevi Registered Member

One feature of kaspersky internet security is important to people who are concerned about Privacy. When you configure kaspersky to filter emails in a certain way (whitelists or anti-spam maybe - i can't remember which or where to find it, because I disabled it from Version 6 on), it keeps a log file of every email you ever write to. something to remember if you want to get rid of all private data on your computer.

10. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

My thoughts, For what it's worth

A gun is neither good nor evil, but becomes so with the purpose for which it is used.

You can not legislate goodness into the hearts of men.
    -Edgar Cayce

The internet is a tool that is neither good nor evil, and no amount of legislation can make men good who choose to be evil in using it.

The policing of the cyber world will take large financial resources for such a system. How would it be paid for, Taxation of the internet?

11. arran

arran Registered Member

I couldn't agree more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.