Kaspersky IS vs. F-Secure IS

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

dishonest? :p

ROFLMFAO

2. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

Nice to see this old FSIS vs KIS chestnut again! I have tried both, and agree / disagree with several points above, but overall, prefer F-Secure at the moment, despite having one problem with it, which has never been rectified, but I think it's just something on my machine. One thing that I'd like to pick up on, if I may, is Lodore's comment re KIS:

OK, this is the main reason why I switched to F-Secure. The PDM pop ups had become ridiculous in the latest KIS versions, and often, I also found that it didn't remember the answer given, and repeatedly kept popping up warnings for the same programs. In basic mode, not all the modules are active, but I believe, unless I am mistaken, that F-Secure offers much the same protection as KIS's advanced mode, but with far fewer pop ups, and when a pop up does appear, it's easier to understand, and to make an informed decision. The firewall, in Training Mode is also quite fiddly in KIS, what with the drop down menu of options, instead of just a simple allow / disallow.

Many of the above points regarding FSIS using more resources are correct and valid, so I won't go over them again. It does take a little longer to boot up than KIS, but I can honestly say that I have not noticed any slowdown on my machine, which, at over 4 years old, is now quite ancient, but was mid-high spec when built. In fact, I am convinced that internet and download speeds are significantly faster when using F-Secure. That, and the fact that's it's cheaper than KIS, is why it's my preferred choice.

The only issues I have are that FSIS doesn't have KIS's technology for skipping files already scanned, when running a full scan, so this process does take significantly longer, but at least you know that everything that can be is being scanned. I say 'that can be', because it does tend to skip several files during the scan, and to go back to my one problem, the Quick Spyware Scan and Full Computer Check doesn't work on my machine, but the Scan Hard Drives options is fine, so that's what I use.

3. Simon6776

Not sure about KIS, but F-Secure will definitely not allow multiple use of a single license. If you reinstall using an existing license, it will tell you that the previous installation will stop working. I have to admit, I have tried many *cough* "alternative" methods of registering FSIS, and have never found one that works, and allows updates. Although slightly annoying, I also find that quite reassuring. What does it say about a security suite, if it can easily be cracked? (ZASS take note!) ;)

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I can't say much about FSIS but I've tried FSAV 2007 once and found it a pretty 'stable' program (compared to KAV -and despite of the several processes running with FSAV-), the 'only thing' I didn't like was the little long boot delay.
    I switched back to my current AVK 2007 subscription only because of the latest on-demand av-comparatives review :)

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I posted this on the wrong thread, so I'll try again.
    I cannot comment on KIS, but I have been using FSIS for several weeks and it just runs without any problems.
    While it is slower to update in terms of how long each update takes to download and install, and starts up a little slower, it is pretty much an install and forget application.

I have a high degree of confidence in its ability to provide top notch security. Unless something changes, I would not unload it for KIS. It does not seem buggy at all, and I can't say the same for KAV 6 (which I have used,) or KIS looking at the forums.

I would have to draw the conclusion that my own experience indicates that FSIS is the more stable of the two.

Regards,
    Jerry

6. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

For me FSIS was very stable and non-intrusive as well. It did it's job quietly with only alerts for more serious threats.

It has been a while since I have used KIS (I think it was 6.0 beta the last time I used it) but something about it I didn't like and I can't remember what it was. I remember getting a lot of popups though.

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Given the fact that Kaspersky will soon introduce its new heuristic engine, I am beginning to wonder whether there remains any point at all in using a clone now. Kaspersky seems to have grown greedy and hence probably will not license its heuristics engine to its technology partners.

A point I need to make is that I do not like Kaspersky's iSwift and iChecker technologies. I'd much rather prefer that KAV scan all files on my HD every time. For this sole reason, I would lean towards F-Secure. But with all the stuff about heuristics, I wonder what F-Secure will do moving forward. :)

8. Firecat

I have a question about F-Secure. If I purchase a boxed (retail) license and then I purchase a renewal for one-year, then will the one-year period of the renewal key start from the day of purchasing the renewal, or the day of using the renewal license key to install the program?

This is the only way for me to get a 2 year license. I know this isn't the case with KIS, but I am not aware of how it works with F-Secure. Also, if I register the renewal subscription key before my license actually expires, do I lose the remaining period of my current license?

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Hiya Firecat,
    I was just wondering what makes you say the statement quoted above?

10. Firecat

Why? Because the proactive defense module of KAV was one of its major good points in the way of proactive protection. This module was not licensed to any partner. I suspect the same will happen for the heuristics engine too, because Kaspersky seems to be aware that its clones are beginning to become better products and they need to retain an edge over the clones in order to maintain and improve their profit/sales margins.

11. Simon6776

Not certain about that, but I would think the new license would run from the date of activation, rather than date of purchase. I'm curious as to why an additional renewal purchase is necessary, assuming I understand you correctly, and you intend to purchase the renewal at the same time as purchasing the retail product? I can confirm, that the retail version is a 3 user license, but I'm wondering if it might be more economical to purchase 2 OEM versions, which would also give you two years, but for only one user.

12. Firecat

The additional renewal purchase is necessary because my local store is an official reseller, but he doesn't ordinarily honour 2-year license requests (i.e. he is authorized to sell one-year licenses only). He says that he'll need to get the requisite permissions for this and that may take time of up to two weeks. And I don't want to wait, thats all.

As for OEM editions, I haven't quite asked about them, but it seems to be a good deal. :)

13. the_sly_dog

the_sly_dog Registered Member

hello firecat i would go for kis6 i did try f-secure awhile ago very good product but wasn`t much to tweak in settings wise

as for which one is better i would lean towards kaspersky but im not saying f-secure is not as good it`s just i didnt feel as safe with it ??

weird i know but thats my honest reason :oops: :oops:

firecat i see in your sig you have nod32 have you had enough of it o_O

i just bought kaspersky kis6 for my new laptop have got nod32 on tower and depending what the suite beta is like i might get another kaspersky suite for my tower

i just want a all in one now bored of seperate firewall+antivirus then conflicts and other probs

sorry abit off topic

14. Firecat

Hi,

I personally prefer KIS myself, but their licensing policies are a bit...harsh. I'm not going to buy it immediately though, so I still have time to think about it, though I'll admit I'm leaning towards FSIS at the moment.

As for NOD32, my license is still active, but I've put it "on hold" now. Like you, I'm also tired of separate AV+Firewall and want a suite. So I'm spending time trying different products out. I'll see what happens when the beta for Eset's suite comes out. ;)

15. Macstorm

I'm not sure about their full retail licenses policy but I have read somewhere (don't remember where exactly) as for the 9.95euro -180day- chip magazine offer, the subscription starts from the day that your current valid license expires. http://translate.google.com/transla...s2007&apid=60065&langpair=de|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8

16. Simon6776

Slightly off topic, but I think perhaps relevant to those making a decision, who want to know something about F-Secure OEM products, is a reply a received to my enquiry to their support team, regarding re-licensing or upgrading OEM editions, given that the licenses are not compatible with retail versions. I asked how one goes about obtaining product updates for OEMs, and this was the reply:

It depends how you look at this, but it could be one of two ways - 1) that the product is good enough when released, not to require patches throughout the year, or 2) that they can't be arsed to issue them! I am remaining positive, and sticking to option 1 myself. They also sent me the latest OEM download with their reply.

One other point I would make is that the OEM versions do have "OEM" displayed on the interface. It doesn't bother me particularly, but I would have preferred it not to. It might, however, bother some more than others, so I thought it worth a mention. :)

17. Macstorm

Hi Simon, are you using OEM version now? I remember last time when I tried the full version of FSAV 2007 I noticed it includes an option for auto-updating 'packs' (or 'builds'?) under 'updates' settings, if I remember correctly..

18. Simon6776

Hi, no I'm not using it yet. I have a current retail licence valid until May 1st. I did try an OEM version under evaluation, and can't recall noticing any additional options, but then I probably wasn't looking at the time. Also, it would have been the suite, which is slightly different to the stand alone AV. :)

19. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

Go With KAV+Firewall+HIPS
    It's better than KIS.
    KIS is a hog.

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

why do you think kis6.0 is a hog?
    memory usage atm is 8mb and almost no cpu usage.
    when AH gives popups it does use 100percent cpu thou and i hope kaspesky will fix it.
    lodore

21. Simon6776

I always thought KIS was one of the least 'hoggish' of all the suites. If that were my only criteria, I would probably still be using it.

22. javagreen

javagreen Registered Member

I'd choose F-Secure.. mainly because I love the way it operates, unobtrusive to the maximum, excellent heuristics and above average multilayered defense strategy (multiple engines) with quite a decent firewall. and I've never been let down on any front by it.

I dont really mind a slightly slower start-up (its just about less than 5 seconds for me and is completely fine with me) in return for the ease of operation and the quality and level of online/offline protection it offers me ;)

I still am a F-Secure user (F-Secure Client Security 7.0 at the moment)...for me It always has been an "Install and forget" type of security suite.. and I am an extremely high risk surfer :D

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

being a home user i couldnt get access to the client versions of f-secure so i had to use the more bloated home versions.....
    lodore

24. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

A friend I know may be able thru his company get me a free F-Secure Client Security ver 6

Is this as good as KIS?

25. freewill07

freewill07 Registered Member

I have to agree with everything what people had said before and it's true that KIS 6 is very light and powerful with its PDM. It simply makes users feel safe. I've been using KIS 6 since PROTO.

regards,

EDIT: BTW there is KIS 7 beta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.