Kaspersky is excellent.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Osaban, Jan 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

At least they can eventually fix everything despite making a more complex program than others, which is already more than what can be said about many other vendors. I think they get a bad rap about their alleged "poor programming abilities", but if another company set out to introduce so many features, they wouldn't have fared any better and probably could never have fixed their bugs until the new version has come out.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

This has been an interesting thread to see thoughts and feelings on Kaspersky....no trolls, just honest thoughts.:thumb:

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have used KIS for several years, but recently switched to BDIS. My reason was that as far as I could learn BD with Safeapay is the only AV that secures my laptop when using unsecured WiFi.

Through the years I did find that Kaspersky seemed to have more annoying problems from time to time than others that I used.
    However, except for Safepay I would go back to KIS as I have licenses that I got cheap off ebay. The ebay purchases when from a 99.9% seller have never been a problem.

But right now I have a BD IS license that I got for 3 PC's for two years for $12. and change. Has 584 days left.:D

Kaspersky never slowed my machines, and neither does BD.

Jerry

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

KIS 2014 with patch d is actually very good. Previous to patch d it had too many issues. I find it to be very light, almost to the point of being unnoticeable. A huge accomplishment since it was once a very heavy product.

5. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

I used to use KIS myself but get fed up with the amount of memory it was taking up and it general sluggishness.
    This is on XP YMMV.

Also the reduction in configurability and illogical GUI with newer versions has got me to switch to Eset AV.

6. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Last week I installed KAV2014.

Seemed fast at first.. Then later it was clear it was slowing things down, and eventually got a few desktop crashes running it. At times AVP.EXE would spike to 100% CPU usage, roughly every couple of hours. Gaming was slowed down, and it was noticeable.

Uninstalled and opened a refund ticket. This is the last time I will try Kaspersky products. I try them every year, and always leave unsatisfied, so I won't bother any longer.

7. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I've tried KIS 2013 few month ago and I was really surprised how light it was on system. Few years ago, when I last tried it, there was much bigger performance degredation. In the end I've decided to go with ESET as it was still a little lighter on my system. Right now Kaspersky is my second choice AV.

Regards, hqsec

8. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

Actually now you mention it i remember getting 100% cpu load when it updates its definitions. Even on a quad core i5

9. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

And why was my post pulled when I said Kaspersky for Mac was not excellent, it is mid tier. I even backed up it up with one of the best Mac testing sites so far to back up my point? Whats wrong with that comment? A moderator here is a Kaspersky fanboy and can't take a simple opinion other then theirs?

Illogical filtering!

10. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

11. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

12. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello,

No problem as you are most welcome ;) ...

13. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Good to know that KIS 2014 is running lighter. May have to give it a shot.

14. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! So far KIS S.S.2014...seems to be less resource intensive. I'm going to try it for a Super Solid Two Weeks...that's Right...Two Whole Weeks. I promise not to touch another product download during that time.I know I have my doubters out their...that are giving me the Yeah Sure treatment. Stay Putin! I know Peyton and the Broncos won't be! Sincerely...Securon

15. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

You are making me want to try it again lol. Need a good deal on price though.

16. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Two weeks? Oh my...you'll be an emotional wreck by then.:D :D

17. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Rompin! The Download Crew...$19.99...Yankee Big Bucks...Tell them Vladimir...sent you! Lol! Sincerely...Securon

18. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Agreed, Kaspersky is excellent.

Kaspersky has been the best AV for about a decade. All the others come and go... but Kaspersky is always among the top products tested.

Unfortunately, it was problematic and glitchy for me too.

And after Bitdefender has been so good for awhile, I went to that for a little while... and it too was problematic.

So I keep going back to my 'just ok' Symantec product which is always smooth, fast, and no problems. It's just not quite as effective..

When I get a new computer, I'll try Kaspersky again.

19. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

This is about the time of year where the current product gets stable and they start beta testing for next year's version. Patch d for 2014 has been stable for me where the previous builds were not. It looks like the ideal for Kaspersky is to upgrade around this time of year and keep it until about the same time next year. Early builds of new releases provide mixed results.

20. Disney

Disney Registered Member

Another like for Kaspersky. Have always found it to be solid. Latest version is no exception in my opinion. Love my Emsisoft but, I run Kaspersky as well !

21. gery

gery Registered Member

if i want to compare KIS with other IS i think that the strongest part that gives advantage to others is the firewall. As far as the AV part i dont find it better than say Bitdefender , Norton Panda etc.
    This is my humble opinion though

22. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

They have for one the System Watcher module, which detects changes made by malware that was not detected by File Anti-Virus and has the ability to revert those changes. Further they were the first with dedicated protection against of-the-shelf exploits and this technology called Automatic Exploit Prevention was on its own, with all other detection mechanisms disabled, more powerful against exploits than any other internet security suite with all components enabled. And there are other noteworthy features which the competition does not have.

Not to mention they are regularly the first to come up with these technologies, only to be followed a year or two later by the competition, praising their overdue catching up as the second coming. And of course there is their constant excellent performance in every test you can find, for years.

Yet I would never put something like KIS on my computer, especially the 2014 version. I find the program terribly bloated, containing a lot of useless features like Mail-Anti-Virus, IM-Anti-Virus or the ridiculous URL-Advisor. Naturally, I would appreciate the ability not to install these components from the get-go. Then there is the fact that the File-Anti-Virus scans way too often, which gives you nothing in terms of security, just a waste of CPU and hence electric energy (but that seems to have become the mandatory standard now with all products these days).

The Web-Anti-Virus component is really messy and has made the internet almost unusable for a lot of people until the release of Patch D, at the end of 2013 mind you, months after the official release. On top of that the interference with SSL connections has reaped disapproval by those, who know a lot more about computers than I do.

To sum it up in one sentence: Kaspersky is probably the best contestant I know, but I would not put their products on my own computer.

23. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Its probably more to do with history than the products on sale now,in the past Kaspersky was seen as spawn of the devil here and I think the current forum policy of not slagging off products/comparing products to each other did stem from that bygone time but deeply held prejudices never seem to die

24. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Kaspersky.
    The man himself is controversial.
    The company has the talented people and resources.
    The technology is interesting in the AV world.
    The marketing and advertising - Jackie Chan, Ferrari.
    The product itself - not my cup of tea.

25. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Nicely said, safeguy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.