Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 2009

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chaos16, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

didn't where to put KIS as its a firewall plus antivirus.

Just wanted to know if the KIS firewall has DNS spoofing like online armour?

Also if KIS firewall is as good as Online armour firewall and Comodo firewall?

2. the_sly_dog

the_sly_dog Registered Member

Hello Buddy

Cant answer the dns spoofing bit, But kis is just as good as the rest you said. I use kis 8 myself and think very highly of it

3. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

i used to use KIS 6.0 but my license expired so i started to use Avast as its free though im think of using 8.0 now.

Though has 8.0 really improved compared to 7.0 in protection a performance?

4. the_sly_dog

100% faster scanning times, it feels so much more smoother aswell. improved graphics gui, Better detection aND heuristics have improved much lighter than version 7 version 8 has been on slim fast lol

5. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

And let's not forget HIPS and the new Rootkit cleaning engine.. Plus the vulnerability scanner:thumb:
    And yes...Kaspersky new firewall is as good as Online Armor and Comodo, although it may not pass some tests because it doesn't use the stealth technique anymore (but this doesn't mean less protection!)

6. the_sly_dog

Opps forgot them :oops: :oops: :oops:

"if i had more $$$$$ i would do what the guy did to gillette " He liked it so much he bought the company"

wonder if kaspersky let me pay off each week lol

7. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I'm a big fan of Kaspersky. Every time something new comes along I try it out, but I always seem to end up back with them. Many people aren't a fan of the firewall and PDM because it can be a bit tricky for newcomers but once you get everything the way you want it it's quiet and formidable.

That being said I would never trust a beta product to protect my computer. I even wait a couple months before installing final releases because there are always things that need smoothed out. I haven't taken a look at 8 yet but when I hear the GUI changed I don't consider that a good thing. I like it the way it is now.

8. emperordarius

Actually the released version is very stable, but you may want to wait for the MP1 or final release. The GUI Changed, yes, but it won't cause any big confusion IMO, here's one image http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kis2009qj1.jpg
    Also this new version gives actually less pop ups.

9. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

uhm.. KIS2009 is out in the final version...

10. emperordarius

Yeah, I mean, the last build :D

11. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

12. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Strange then that when I go to their website I see no mention of it whatsoever. All I see is KIS & KAV 7. You would think they'd make it a point to better advertise a "final release" of one of their products.

My mistake then... I guess.

13. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

KIS 2009 is not released in the USA or UK yet so it's not showing on the Kaspersky site based on where you are in the world. If you look on the French and German sites it's already released there and shows build 8.0.0.357.

14. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I don't like KIS 2009: the firewall now has not a native " training mode " like KIS 7, and the installing process creates a lot of rules that are undeleting. You can only edit them, every one, with a very boring editing. Think to the editing all the KIS rule for Windows applications... I imagine that it is for the friendly users, but I would want the training mode again and no one native rule !! :thumbd:

I think that in the future I'll use only KAV, and I'll change software firewall. ( As HIPS, I don't use KIS HIPS, but EqSecure or similar sw ).

15. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I also didn't like how the installer automatically created rules even in interactive mode. They seem to be taking the norton approach and making everything automatic.
    It is still pretty easy to get into training mode, although why make a feature harder to get to when its suppose to be easier to use?

The only answer you get on the kaspersky forum is "the logic has changed".

16. subset

subset Registered Member

This KIS thing is sort of a HIPS automat, more like a slot machine.
    You start a program, HIPS automat starts to work, blacklist, whitelist and emulator are rotating and ding-a-ling... a new rule is born.

In my opinion it's the unsuccessfully try to square the (HIPS) circle.
    For Comodo or EQSecure users it's probably a ridiculous solution because KIS 2009 is infantilizing the users.

I asked at the Kaspersky forums, why there is no option to ask the user before the emulator starts.
    The answer was 'Because our users trust too much crap, that's why!'
    Well, simply paternalism.

And the KIS 7 users who would just like to have a further developed version are overextended and annoyed by this HIPS automat.

Cheers

17. blacknight

Ya, and the logic seems to be to point only friendly users.

18. blacknight

Quote, quote, quote. :mad:

19. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Simple solution guys...just turn off the component(s):rolleyes: you don't want and use something else in conjunction with what you do like. That is what a lot a people out there do (I am not one of them) if this 'logic change' annoys them.

Personally I like it as I get a secure basis to work with and then can tweak to my heart's content (although not as much as KIS 7 at present as some of the deeper areas need to be extended, ie, Network Rules, etc., but that is coming in MP1 and beyond).

:D

20. blacknight

Sure, it is possible with HIPS' s functions - I do it in KIS 7 with proactive defense - but my plaint is about the firewall: I want again, like in KIS 7, the possibility to have NO rules at the first installing. I know wich rule I need, I and only I want to create them.

21. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I like the kaspersky suite because it has strong antivirus and a strong Hips which is hard to find in any other suite. Plus it has the behaviour analysis which just makes it even stronger. I have nothing against the suite features but the logic annoys me, only aiming towards novices. It automatically creates rules after installation without asking or being able to stop it.
    I like how it automatically creates rules for trusted apps but it annoys me that you can't choose this before it does it automatically. The instalation should offer a choice.

22. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

If you wish, you can allways set "prompt for action" for the whole of Trusted group (in Application Filter) and then add exclusions as the popups occur; or you can Allow only certain applications of your choice. This way, when Kaspersky automatically adds an application to Trusted, it still doesn't have unlimited privileges unless you (the user) creates exclusions or sets Kaspersky to allow all actions for the specific application.

23. Baldrick

Dawgg, you are absolutely right...but I suspect that you are wasting your time as there are a number out there who don't want or like change and do not take the time to investigate what they have in front of them before they criticise. There is help text available and it is fairly clear what the application can do...it is just a case of taking a little time to check things out.:rolleyes:

24. blacknight

Baldrick some users here, at not only here, don't want change because they don't like the new firewall settings in KIS 2009. Read again the post of subset, Coolio10, and the mine, for exemple. No problem to learn to use KIS 2009, but the core of the problem is another. I want to decide from the beginning by myself the settings and the rules of the firewall, I don't want undeleting rules, and a lot of rules to edit. I had the fw that I wanted with KIS 7, now I can't have it, this is the problem. I can do it with Agnitum, with, Comodo...with Kaspersky now not. Why ? I know why, just see Kaspersky forum, but I don't like it.

25. Baldrick

Well I am not going to try to convince you. I am sure that there is a solution out there that will appeal to your requirements. KIS is going in the direction it is going (and IMHO the right direction) and I can assure you that it will not turn back. That is clear from what the beta testers and developers have discussed in the Kaspersky Forum during the alpha & beta phases.

There is no point complaining about it...as that will not change anything.

Good luck to you in your search for the right solution for you.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.