Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 in "real world"-test

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by King Grub, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Expected IMO, KIS is one of the best all around suites :D

2. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Absolutely no doubt. Everything in KIS is best except its memory usage while scanning...If you don't click on "Concede Resources To Other Applications" then it will eat up your memory up to 500 MB during scanning...And if you click that option then it will take AGES to scan your full system....:ninja:

3. sourav_gho

sourav_gho Registered Member

It may not be true for every PC. High memory usage is only required when Kaspersky scans inside large archives like 500 mb, 1gb or more. Normal full scan for files present only requires fewer resources.

4. m0unds

m0unds Guest

i have yet to see this..the most memory usage i've seen w/concede resources *disabled* is 60MB. this is what resource utilization typically looks like on this box (during a full scan, 400GB worth of data, 30% complete):

avp_exe.jpg

columns are as follows: process, user, cpu, memory, io reads, io writes

5. erikloman

erikloman Developer

There exists some dedicated TDL3 specifc cleaning tools, including TDSSKiller from Kaspersky. But before you start using these tools you must know that you are infected with TDL3. If your paid AV doesn't tell you that the PC is infected, why would you run such tools? Therefore you should run a free second opinion on a regular basis.

Here the history of TDSS:
    http://www.securelist.com/ru/analysis/208050642/TDSS

6. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Good, exactly what I thought, Hitman Pro and some specific/dedicated tools to remove it. And indeed programs like GMER don't do the job.

Also I got 64-bit, best protection against rootkits available ;).

To be honest I didn't buy Hitman Pro (ESET NOD32 bundle) because I feel I need a second-opinion or what, I just bought it because I love both products and want to support them. In general MSE or AVG Free 9 would be enough protection for me (in addition to the Windows 7 integrated options). Hitman Pro never ever found something, and all ESET blocked in the last year was EICAR test file :D. So actually installing MSE or AVG Free (instead of ESET + HP) would be just to please the Windows 7 Action Center, since I hate disabling the "stop notifying about my current antivirus state" option.

7. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I have got to say, I have a few AV labs that I am impressed with and Kaspersky is one of them. In 2 min's of submitting a new sample I got a automated response informing me I will get the outcome of the file check soon. It's better then those lab's which I get no message back from.

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i top out at about 50-60mb while scanning with kis2011. actually tbh i am thinking of switching back from avast.. avast really slows down my browsing at times and the download speeds. kaspersky 2010 did this as well. 2011 does not at all. i get full speed downloads the same as with no av installed at all with avast i get about 50% less speed downloading browsing overall is about the same unless the page loads a lot of info then kaspersky wins with 2011

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

zfactor, what other security apps were you running real-time along with avast during these slowdowns, if you don't mind saying?

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

none at all. just the avast suite

11. sourav_gho

Interesting...:thumb: Waiting for other reviews and tests...

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Even though some cant fathom it, Kasperskys and Aviras new offerings are actually very good. Few quirks which mean they will only get better soon.

13. tipo

tipo Registered Member

trialo_O

14. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

I've been considering buying an internet security suite. With these results, it sure is tempting.

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

If it works on your system it is the best in my opinion. However, trial first. There seems to be a bug with updates freezing the system. I experienced this with KIS 2010 and have read on the KL forums that there has been such with 2011.

I am sure they will work this out in time. Maybe trjam can shed some light.

KIS was the only suite, I think, that passed the Matousec test. It obviously has a great firewall.

Regards,
    Jerry

16. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Oh I will, absolutely. Any program I purchase undergoes rigorous testing beforehand I can assure you.

On the other hand, I'm considering moving away from a traditional AV as I'm getting more into the LUA/AppLocker way of doing things. Time will tell I guess.

17. icr

icr Registered Member

Hmmmm there was time I remember when kaspersky didn't perform well in a test(No prizes for guessing;) ) and at that time kaspersky was at the receiving end of all the bashing but from then it has greatly improved:thumb: Good Job Kaspersky keep up the good work:)

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

when was that time? xD
    Hahaha since i can remember (I wasn't really into this until last year) but i've always heard good things about them :D

19. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Excuse me. Did CF1 go final yet? Thanks.

20. icr

icr Registered Member

Hmmm Kaspersky didn't perform that well in "On Demand Detection of AVC of Aug 2009 edition":)

More Info from Wilders

21. sourav_gho

Hi Jerry,

The bug with the updater has been fixed in latest build of CF1:
    Check out : http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=175852

Many issues are already fixed. The stable CF1 once released will address most of the issues.

22. sourav_gho

Not yet... Still some more time before final release

23. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

CF1 RC has just been released, you still need to use beta keys for that one, so I'll wait for the final.

24. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

It will be here soon. Don't worry ;)

25. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Is custom install making a comeback in CF1?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.