Kaspersky Full Scan taking over 15hrs and counting

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Tempot, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tempot

Tempot Registered Member

Well I heard this thing was slow, but this is ridiculous. I don't know how any AV software can take this long. I actually left this thing overnight to continue scanning and to my surprise it wasn't done when I woke up. The computer hadn't locked up or anything, it was actually still scanning. I could hear my HD working. I'm running Windows XP Pro, with Online Armour 2 Firewall, and Pentium Core 2 Duo, 3GHz, 3 GB of Ram. Can anyone confirm if they have seen this take this long. BTW, I tried to stop the scan, but it wouldn't stop. so I just restarted.

2. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Never taken anywhere near that long on my systems, looking at 3-5 hours-ish normally.
    What was it scanning when you attempted to shut down - folder?

Do you have any other programs running at the time of scan eg, another anti-malware application or defragmenting software?
    If yes, exit it.
    Ensure your old AV was fully uninstalled - remnants can cause problems

Try setting your scan as shown below.
    Also try not to scan SystemBackup... and Mail

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      68.7 KB
      Views:
  3. icr

icr Registered Member

also depends on size of files/folders scanning mine took approx 1hr
    to scan my 1TB hd but 3-4 hrs is quite abnormal

4. Rapid Dr3am

Rapid Dr3am Registered Member

I had Kaspersky take over 24 hours on my laptop. It was stuck scanning MSOCache in my root directory.

5. Tempot

Tempot Registered Member

Well this is the setting I had it on. I always put my settings to all files when doing a deep scan or full scan. But no other AV has taken that long. I mean Avira took just under 2 and a half. NOD32 took under 2hrs. And I never have anything else running including firewall. I disconnect the internet as well.
    I feel regardless of the settings, it should never take that long. It was only at 85% done. BTW, I should mention that I was using the trial versions of all AV apps mentioned except NOD23. Haven't decided what I want yet. And I did do a full uninstall of each app before installing the next trial.

Attached Files:

6. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

DEpends on what files you have.

The first scan should be a full scan and should not omit any files.
    Subsequent scans should be quicker.

On my multiboot system, I have 4 Windows OS, so lots of files are there 4 times.

Used to take 50-60 hours to do a full scan.
    Have not done one in a while.

If you have lots of archives, install files, compressed files, help files, and other highly compressed files of that ilk, KAV will take a long time.

I used to have 4 copies of the Oct 2001 MSDN library installed, one for each OS. I now share one copy amongst the OS, and several hours were saved.

VS .NET and Visual Studioo help files take a long time to scan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.