kaspersky free

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Blomberg1985, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Cool, sounds really powerful. If I wasn't this paranoid I would have definitely installed KAV free.

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I have installed Kaspersky Free with Comodo preinstalled and all I had to do was allow it to install despite Comodo being on my rig already.

3. BobH44AZ

BobH44AZ Registered Member

Creulsister,
    Would you please tell me where can I find your recommended settings for the CF firewall ?
    Thank you
    Regards....

4. BobH44AZ

Well, I just downloaded CF (the free version ) and on restart, no internet connection , either net network all screwed up , tried running CF
    repair 3 times , at 75 % got a popup telling me to reboot PC to complete repair, rebooted, same problem DOA, no network connection,
    Uninstalled CF and also Comodo Dragon that I unchecked did not select in preinstall , that installed anyway too.
    On restart all working fine now ?
    Wondering what caused this to happen ?

5. BobH44AZ

PS: I have had KF installed for a few days and working just fine .

6. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Hi Bob- I can't post links to my videos on Wilders, but see: "Comodo Firewall- the Cruelsister Variation" and "Comodo Firewall Setup- An Addendum" on my Channel.

The setup is very easy. My cat can do it in 13 seconds. My personal best is 17 sec (Damn that Ophelia! So competitive).

One thing though- In any of my Comodo setup videos I assume that the system that one installs CF on is clean. This normally is not an issue (even if the system is infected, that is...) EXCEPT in the case of Forked Processes. If one of these pre-exists on the system it is a good idea to place the Firewall (at least for an hour) in Custom Mode. If a forked process exists (like a svchost) you will then see it Blocked in Network Intrusions on the main GUI.

Rasheed- There is NO ONE more distrustful of Comrade E than I am. When I worked for those that everyone Loves to Hate a number of years ago I Yelled, whined, cried about K being a Clear and Present Danger to Governmental and Corporate infrastructure. Took them a while, but at least they caught on.

However when it comes to the Home User (not living in R), there is no issue as no one really cares about Peasants like you or I. And understand that there can be No One (X-Files theme Fade-In) more Paranoid then I am as I KNOW that people are out to get me (X-Files theme Fade-Out).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  7. imuade

imuade Registered Member

Unfortunately it happens sometimes on installation or after some windows update.
    That's why recently I prefer to use the antivirus with containment and add TinyWall to stop unneeded outbound traffic.

8. BobH44AZ

Hello,
    Thank you for your help !
    Regards
    BobH

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I simply don't trust none of the big AV companies, they are all a risk to security and privacy. I just don't like the idea they can upload any file of my system to the cloud, and they are probably also monitoring website usage, Avast even admits that.

10. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

I think it depends on how the cloud is used.

For example Emsisoft
    https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/19917-emsisoft-have-not-cloud/
    "In order to maintain privacy, your files are not actually uploaded to a server to be scanned by a cloud database. What actually happens is the scanner generates hashes (MD5, SHA-1, SHA-256, etc) and then sends those hashes and some basic file information (file name, full path to the file, digital signature, etc) and the server then compares that against their database."

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

That's good to know. As for using the "cloud" generally I don't know that AV vendors can maintain sufficiently large local databases (sigs) anymore given the volume and speed of evolving malware ( ? )

12. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

It seems that K can upload files to the cloud :/ but for a normal user like us is no big danger ? only for big companys involved with politics ...
    But in case for emsisoft and Avira i know its only a digital fingerprint, hash, etc.

13. imuade

imuade Registered Member

This is what all vendors do... can you imagine uploading hundreds Gb of files?
    Usually they check the hash, then, if they wanna investigate deeply, they will ask you to upload the full file (this is what Comodo does)

14. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

I am runnig this excellent Av but, i do not want the ad about buying premium to pop-up now and then. Is there a way to stop/block that?

15. fax

fax Registered Member

The most effective and trouble free is....paying for a license. ;)

16. mekelek

mekelek Registered Member

which is also relatively dirt cheap compared to other AV licenses
    check key selling sites for license keys

17. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

Agree with you Rasheed - just can't bring myself to install it.

18. mekelek

mekelek Registered Member

let's be real here, even if all the rumors are true,the russians have no interest in your hentai collection
    so unless you bring home state secrets to your computer, what are you afraid of exactly?

19. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Yeah! Microsoft probably knows more secret about us than Kaspersy...

20. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

We probably would know if some expert bothered to analysed the data Microsoft collects, which they could in the latest Windows 10.

21. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

So what settings are set to default that you can't change when it comes to protection?

22. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 Registered Member

Do you really think no expert bothers over MS data collection in this day of "facebook privacy" scandals?Only thing is that no matter how much data MS collects a large portion of it is still non-personal & at best can be tied to an IP(for home users it is usually dynamic anyway) without going deep(which requires some sort of court order).

23. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Guys- with respect to K- it never was, nor is now an issue for Home users. And in the Governmental or Critical Infrastructure areas Privacy or "Spying" wasn't ever an issue.

24. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

No one has an answer?!

25. imuade

imuade Registered Member

It seems that it depends on your location, so there's no much you can do.
    Just a question: did you create a Kaspersky account? If you don't do so, you get a lot of popups...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.