Kaspersky Free Antivirus Thread

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mops21, Sep 3, 2015.

1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Does this free version use the SDK engine? Also, is this comparable to the ZoneAlarm free version (if ZA free is still available? for some reason ZA free consistently tested poorly in detection)

2. fax

fax Registered Member

ZAfree has basically equivalent signature detection than retail ZA versions. This is by far not poor as you describe it (see latest AV-test org). The poor performance you refer to are from some initial versions of old line 13 (during transition from win7 to win8 ) with engine bugs. ZAfree is still available and seems actively updated and it is now at version 14.0.522.000, same as retail.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

ZoneAlarm has their stupid firewall which is still fat and hungry as soon as you run any P2P app.

I hope they'll release english version soon. I'd totally use it.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I would be very interested in a free version of kaspersky. I have no need for he bloat features and just need the main protection features.

5. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

@ all I'm sorry for OT.

@RejZoR I use ZA FW now. Do you consider it ineffective? Only because of P2P app issue?
    Thank you.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

The firewall part is the only reason I'm not even considering ZA. And that stupid 24 hour update cycle. It's freaking 2015, not 1995...

7. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Thank you.

8. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

9. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

Not fat and hungry. 200-220 MB of RAM is not that much these days. And I have only 4 GB. Playing Civilization V multiplayer a lot too. ZA never causes any problems.

Edit: You can manually update the AV base whenever you want. 24h limit is only for auto-update.

10. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

Just installed KFA16.0.1.170ru-RU.exe

Works fine. It broke my broadband connection during installation and installed some Kaspersky driver. Says 81 days left of my license.

http://s17.postimg.org/yf7zahxhr/555.png

Only Russian language available though.

11. harlan4096

harlan4096 Registered Member

Did You try SHIFT+F12 (+F5) to change language GUI? maybe English language is also there :)

For a few hours KFA was in public beta servers in different languages: Spanish Latam, English, German and French, but don't know why They retired Them and only Russian left...

12. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

No, I'm fine with Russian. :)

13. acr1965

I don't see results for recent ZA free on av-test.org. I thought ZA used the SDK engine anyway, not the latest engine Kaspersky uses in its own retail products. Where are recent tests for ZA free?

14. fax

fax Registered Member

SDK in ZA is equivalent to latest KAV engine used in enterprise versions just check core drivers in ZA. That was not the point... For the rest, read my post, engine in ZA free is equivalent to engine in ZA retail therefore... Bla bla. On top, you just quote outdated results and use them out of context ... After all these years you still have not stopped hating ZA :argh::thumb:

15. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

The official ZoneAlarm site has only Free Firewall...have they discontinued Free FW + AV?

16. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@yesnoo No, they've even just released the 2016 version. PCMag has a review of it. I'll see if I can find the wepage for it so you can download it.

Edit: I couldn't find an officle webpage for it, but you can download it from Softpedia.

17. acr1965

I asked for the free version scan results. Your opinion as to the ability of anything ZA is questionable as everyone that has been on wilders for a while knows you are the biggest ZA fanboy in history.

18. Boblvf

Boblvf Registered Member

- Kaspersky antivirus + ZA firewall ( or Outpost, Comodo ).

Antivirus in 64 bits system = malwares list + proactivity (statistical heuristic + dynamic heuristic ).
    ZoneAlarm = firewall + dynamic heuristic ( sandbox ).

No HIPS …

KAV + ZA = two drivers, two heuristics, bad filtering or no filtering.

19. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

20. fax

fax Registered Member

If highlighting the misuse of outdated tests results to judge a security software means been a fanboy then yes I am the biggest fanboy. Please come back when you have some more factual reputable evidence on performance of the current ZA. ;)

21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Why are we talking about Zone Alarm here?

Let's get back on topic please......Kaspersky

(any ''discussions'' regarding ZA take them to PM not bicker about them here)

22. Boblvf

Boblvf Registered Member

ZA free ( antivirus and firewall ) use probably the Kaspersky malwares list, and the ZA firewall proactivity, it is not Kaspersky antivirus, you must pay for it ... of course.

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You do realize ZA is using Kaspersky engine right?

24. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Yes I do.

I was referring to the 'discussions'' about ZA between a couple of members which were becoming personal rather than about the topic in hand.

25. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

So, question: how do they plan on paying for it?

With ads and spying and selling of customer data, maybe? As happened with Windows 10, since it's a "free upgrade"?

I'm not a fan of antivirus software anyway, but I'm skeptical. I mean, people having to buy "security" separate from their OS is already a problem; but the trend seems to be for monetarily free products to be even more exploitative, while also doing an inferior job, to the point of being misleading. Yet another company following that trend IMO == bad news.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.