Kaspersky Chkdsk problem fact or fiction?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by duke1959, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Just wondering if anyone else has had the Chkdsk problem that was mentioned in the AOL AVS (Kaspersky) scan new and changed files only thread here in this forum, from using KAV, KIS, or AOL AVS? The claim some are making is that using these programs has caused Chkdsk to have errors and hang in phase two of scan for 7 seconds, and could also lead to eventual problems with harddrive if I understand correctly. I have used AVS and my Chkdsk seems to be ok, but it did worry me somewhat. Thanks.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i just ran chkdsk on my C: drive and while there was a small delay (like 5 seconds) when starting the second phase, the scan did finish successfully.

ive no problems with the latest kav 6.0.1.401 beta.

3. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

It doesn"t matter what hardware/software someone uses, there's always those who"ll have problems and those who won't.

In my case the Kaspersky-Chkdsk problem is fiction.

All is fine :)

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Good to know folks.

5. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Just recently heard about this chkdsk problem a couple of days ago.
    No hangups/delays here.

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

No problems on my side either.:)

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I'm the poster who mentioned it here. Chkdsk was fine when I installed KAV (June) on a then four month old new computer. Two months later (August) ckdsk was still fine. Now though, four months after I first installed KAV, chkdsk hangs after finishing 6% checking in Stage 2. (So, it hangs at 7%). It hangs currently for 1 minute 15 seconds before proceeding. The scan up to Stage 2 end of 6% and then after the hanging is normal. Before installing KAV Chkdsk hesitated for a second or so in stage 2 at various points but never longer than three seconds.

What does this mean? I don't know. I know that my "symptom" appears to be the same FIRST symptom that Frode, who started the threat at Kaspersky, experienced. He, and others, went on to worse symptoms of file corruption rather rapidly. I don't do full scans nor do I use iCheck or iSwift. So, is it because I don't do those things (that the others did who have had rather rapid corruption) mean that the corruption for me will just be a lot slower? Or, is the symptom I have due to something else entirely? Is the symptom a warning of worse to come or is it some benign anomaly?

The question is not whether some of us KAV users have a chkdsk problem. The question is whether the problem is caused by Kaspersky. The problem REMAINS for all of us AFTER removing Kaspersky. The further question is how serious is this and is it serious for some but minor for others and not there all for many and why? And most important for those who have the problem, if Kaspersky remains on the computer, does the problem get worse for all who have a chkdsk problem or just for some?

I can't answer any of these questions (except that we all appear to have a chkdsk problem but maybe knowing Windows and computers and the weird quirks they have maybe what seems a problem really isn't). But I believe these are valid concerns and I think Kaspersky should speak up about it.

8. Mascot

Mascot Registered Member

Meet my alias! :eek:

When I performed the tests, I found that the issue appeared immediately after install. But a full scan increased the issue tenfold. It seems clearly linked to the amount of files processed. Whether it only applies to the on-demand scanner and there's no risk of the issue escalating if you just use the on-access scanner, I don't know.

A few general points to the thread in general. The issue is definitely not fiction. But it does not occur for everybody, and even if it does occur it doesn't seem to necessarily become gradually worse to the point I experienced. Which I must admit I do find strange, since the issue does not seem related to my setup. I readily reproduced it in a vmware session.

Using iCheck/iSwift was of no importance. The issue appeared either way.

Just to emphasise how bad it can get. In my case chkdsk eventually failed to complete, it simply crashed. Acronis True Image became unable to analyze partition and perform backups. Uninstalling KAV has no effect. Once you get the problem, it stays (unless you revert to a pre-KAV image, of course).

My recommendation to anyone considering KAV is this.
    1) run chkdsk and make sure it behaves normally,
    2) image the drive,
    3) install KAV and run a full scan,
    4) run chkdsk again.

If #4 stalls for a while on phase 2, revert to image and forget about KAV. Kaspersky does not acknowledge the issue so there's no help to be had. It's just not worth the risk. If #4 is perfectly normal, go for it. It's an excellent product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.