Kaspersky AV&IS 2014 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by guest, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I have had to uninstall KIS 2014 3 times for a number of the most common issues. It totally crashed my PC twice. I continue to track the KIS forum. It is very clear from the posts there that KIS 2014 was not ready for prime-time on release. I would like to use it because of some of it's new features but I am waiting for patch b to be released before installing it again.

2. wiwul

wiwul Registered Member

By the way, folks, KIS 2014 has no feature of saving settings anymore.

You need to run avp.com export [filename] and it will create a .dat file.

I have created a batch file for this purpose.

Like this

C:
    cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 14.0.0"
    avp.com Export "X:\Kaspersky-Settings\KIS2014settings.dat"

(This is windows 7 x64, that the path may be different for 32bit)

import : avp.com import drive\path\thedatfile

=

3. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

I would say that this harsh as KIS (2014) seems to work well for number of users (as can be seen from this thread) including me.

I think that this is what you are going to get with most ISs so why pick on KIS? I thought I would try Bit Defenders latest this weekend...well, it caused my PC to slow to a crawl & then crashed it (and Yes, I had completely uninstalled KIS beforehand).

Having said the above a trial of the latest version of NIS was a revelation and if I were to ditch KIS I would most probably move back to NIS.

Let's be level and object (rather than subjective) in our posts. :D

4. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I believe that participants on this forum are savy enough to understand that issues with AV's are typically caused by conflicts with a unique combination of devices or programs on a particular individual's PC.

If my post seemed harsh it I would not have made it so if there were not so many similar complaints about KIS -- not starting, starting late, stopping, coruppted data bases are just a few of the commonly reported problems of which there are several in each category.

I would love to use KIS because of some of its new features and had extended my license for that reason but for some reason I can't use it on my PC and my PC has very few other programs on it atm -- using only 125 GBs out if 950. KIS needs the patch b and even some of the administrators on the forum suggest this and not just to make KIS compatible with FF 23+.

When I see a constant stream of posts complaining about the same issues I have to conclude that there is something in the program that makes it's operation vulnerable to those issues. For me the main issue was that KIS would just stop working and trying to get it to restart crashed my PC to the extent that I had to refresh Windows and reinstall programs. I used KIS 2013 with no issues whatsoever.

While I don't come close to possessing your technical expertise I have become a kind of AV/malware news addict and go to this site, the KIS forum, and the BD forum several times/day (I am currently using BDIS) and that is how I learned of the commonality of the issues plauguing KIS 2014 for many.

I am looking forward to patch b and attempting to use KIS 2014 again.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  5. Baldrick

No disagreement with anything you say except the original "...that KIS 2014 was not ready for prime-time on release". I feel that one can make the point that is trying to be made without that very subjective (and for some potentially misleading) statement.

If Wilders users are indeed as savvy as you suggest (and for the most part they are IMHO) then they can, also IMHO, draw their own views without such subjectivity. :D

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I see patch b is in beta testing. Hopefully it will resolve the issues. I may switch back to it if it does.

7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

You shouldn't have to though! Win XP Compatibility is for when you have Old Software

8. wiwul

wiwul Registered Member

Note that most of the time some add-ons of KIS are not compatible with Firefox, so, these components you are paying for(..), are in fact not active.

e.g., with me, following add-ons are DISabled because Kaspersky (v14.0.0.4651) it is not compatible with Firefox v.23.0.1

1) Dangerous website blocker
    2) Kaspersky URL Advisor
    3) Safe Money
    4) Virtual Keyboard

Extra in Internet Security (not in Anti Virus)
    Safe Money ---> However, disabled
    Two-Way Firewall
    Application Control (*)
    Quick launch of Virtual Keyboard ) overlapping? ---> However, disabled
    Secure Keyboard ) overlapping? ---> However, disabled
    Award-Winning Parental Control
    Anti-Spam
    Anti-Banner
    See: http://www.kaspersky.com/compare

(*) APplication Control: "prevents dangerous applications from harming your PC."
    Should this not be a 'core protection', i.e. is this not covered by the standard AV product?

With me:
    Parental Control is disabled - I have no kids,
    Anti Spam: disabled I am running Mailwasher Pro since 12-13 years now
    Anti-banner: disabled
    I use Roboform for passwords.

All in all, the firewall is still left as an extra over the standard AV.

As a matter of fact, if my memory serves me well, in some magazine, they wrote that usually the 'Internet Security Suites' hardly offer any extra's over the standard AV-products and should carefully think it over before buying a suite instead of the standard AV product.

=

9. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Application Control is some form of HIPS and is not in the AV product afaik. If you're knowledgable enough, you can configure it a lot to provide more security.
    Most of the functionality offered by addons works properly without them, for example it will still block dangerous websites anyway, but there is no button in firefox and perhaps you don't see search results annotations. When going shopping/banking in Firefox, it will not automatically launch Safe Money during payment, but it still works with other browsers and you could also manually launch Safe Money before starting to shop/bank online.

About suites vs av's in general; this has been mostly true in the past but has changed. Nowadays, most internet security products offer useful extra's and most vendors have another, more expensive 360/pure/all-in-one suite that offers less useful extra's like online-backup, pc cleaner etc.
    This may differ per vendor of course.

10. Pablo87

Pablo87 Registered Member

Ive installed KIS 2014 finally!! :D

Great version for me so far!

Interface is nice, here was it 'set and forget' KIS is on my pc very light
    so yeah what can i say more? last 2 days im thinking that there is no av program installed on my pc... for me this is by far the best KIS version since couple of years!

11. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

does anyone know a good deal to purchase KIS in the US? I think Kaspersky has regional license scheme these days so it should be from a US vendor...thanks

12. thanhtai2009

thanhtai2009 Registered Member

renew your license by clicking on License manage window, you can get it at cheaper price

13. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

it shows $59 for renewal which is higher than I can get it elsewhere, even without a rebate

14. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

15. manak

manak Registered Member

I hate this regional license activation restrictions.
    They have to know many people using laptops for business trip and
    some point they have to use or renew(activation) in other areas.

Kaspersky lab must inscribe this regional license activation restrictions clearly on retail box version
    and online. There is no info about regional license activation restrictions on retail box. (ex: 2012, 2013)
    That is really bad business practice.

16. hawki

hawki Registered Member

KIS 2014 is now fully compatible with FF 24

There may have been the patch b today.

Update: Confirmed Patch B released Today (buy may take a day or two for all to get it)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  17. Baldrick

Still not sign of Patch B here...but as you say, can take a couple of days to roll out across the different regions...to avoid overloading the servers.

Eagle eyes is watching. ;)

18. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Is patch B compatible with Windows 8.1 yet?

19. Baldrick

Apparently it is but that is just from what I read on the KL forum. may be worth waiting for the official 'unveiling'...just to be sure.`

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  20. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

It should be compatible with Windows 8.1

Source: Kaspersky Lab Forum
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=274298

21. oliverjia

Appears to be a lot of pain installing patch B, which is separate. I have a freshly installed windows 8.1, so there is no way to install patch B for now. was wondering if they are going to integrate patch b into the KAV/KIS installer?

22. oliverjia

Thanks.

23. FleischmannTV

You have a freshly installed Windows 8.1?

The notes say that you have to patch KIS to (b) first and then upgrade to 8.1. If you have a freshly installed 8.1 KIS won't work on it properly and you have to wait for a standalone installer that includes patch (b). You can't go in the order of 1. install / upgrade Windows 8.1 - 2. KIS 2014 - 3. patch (b).

24. SLE

SLE Registered Member

An installer with patch B integrated will be released soon, so that KIS 2014 can be installed on Win 8.1. when Win 8.1. it is official released for the masses.

25. FleischmannTV

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.