Kaspersky Antivirus NDIS driver?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hutchingsp, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutchingsp

hutchingsp Registered Member

Does anyone know exactly what function this serves please?

Ideally a little more in-depth than the information on the Kaspersky KB.

I'm trialling KAV 6 (the current corporate product) and encountered an issue to which their solution was to remove this (and for future installs not to install it to begin with).

They've assured me it doesn't effect the efficiency of the product, I guess the geek in me would just like to understand it a bit better as I hate simply being told "Oh switch that off it'll fix it" :D

Thanks!

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

My guess is that it has something to do with the Kaspersky Firewall - which is why it wouldn't affect the operation of the Antivirus.....But dunno :doubt:

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

4. hutchingsp

Already have though thanks for the link. Perhaps I'm fussy but it's not quite clear enough what the implications are from not having it installed i.e. if it can be removed with no impact why install it to begin with, IYSWIM.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    btw what issue did you have that you needed to uninstall the ndis filter?

6. hutchingsp

I'm testing KAV for Workstations, so v6.0.3.xxx and not the home product.

We found that on all Windows Vista (32 bit not tried on 64) machines that we have installed KAV on that on our Intranet, a Java date picker control/applet, which is completely safe/non-malicious causes the client to lose IP connectivity, it still shows as having an IP but can't ping/connect to anything at all and only a reboot fixes it.

This is using IE7, it doesn't happen using Firefox on Windows Vista, and it doesn't happen at all using Windows XP Pro with KAV installed.

This was Kaspersky tech's solution after sending them the output of their sysinfo tool - http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279317

7. subset

subset Registered Member

8. hutchingsp

Thanks, that helps. I'm just picking through Kaspersky's own forum as many people seem to have the same/similar issue, though I'm struggling to find answers that are "hard fact" about what happens if the driver is uninstalled - lots of "NO DON'T DO IT!!!!!" but not lots of "And here's exactly why".. :)

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i had problems with kis 6 and 7 with the ndis filter. with it installed sometimes i couldnt see other computers,shared folders or files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.