Kaspersky Antivirus and Internet Security 2011 Final

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by osip, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. volvic

volvic Registered Member

KIS 2011 - 2009 = BLOATWARE.

2. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

I'd say that your post is bloating the forum. How about actually telling us why is it bloatware in your opinion? I don't see anything bloated in KIS 2011.

3. gazs1

gazs1 Registered Member

Im using kav 2011 with defensewall 3.06 and sandboxie on xpsp3 with only 1 gig of ram and see no slowdowns at all, perfect experience for me and is a keeper

4. Football

Football Registered Member

I recommend that everyone with Kaspersky 2009/2010 try Kaspersky 2011. I installed KIS 2010 some months ago and it was nothing but problems: restarts, freezes, slow-downs. After putting up with this horrible performance for 1-2 months , I reverted to KIS 2009. In April KIS expired and I mused over my renewing it. Finally, I renewed it with the hope of KIS 2011 being a better programme. And now I can say that KIS 2011 and KIS 2010 are POLES APART. As a matter of fact, KIS 2011 may be even lighter than KIS 2009 with the exception of the scan lasting longer (which is not a problem once there is an idle scan which scans the computer while it is idle once a week) and the computer boot also lasting longer (which is also no problem coz I boot my computer twice a day at most). Congratz Kaspersky Lab! I hope that the problems of KIS 2010 will not be repeated in the future!

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Interesting how the experience of others can be different. 2009 didn't work for me as I had nothing but BSODs and crashes with it. I am giving 2011 a shot but so far the most stable for me has been the 2010.

6. drakester

drakester Registered Member

KIS 2011 has been a great product for me, despite the initial bugs.

Testing on the patch 'b' has started - when it's done it should resolve some of the outstanding issues including the GUI corruption and Windows 7 Photo Viewer conflict, among other things. :)

7. xxJackxx

Unfortunately according to what I am seeing on their forums this patch doesn't actually fix either of those issues. Yet.

8. Rampastein

Actually it fixes the photo viewer freeze if the patch is applied manually, there's just a problem with KIS not automatically updating the klif.sys driver when downloading the beta patch in Windows 7 (apparently caused by wrong update data in the beta servers).

KIS 7.0, 2009 and 2011 have been very light, fast and stable for me. KIS 2010 was slow (so slow that I disabled File-AV after installing it) and unstable, and I also hated it's GUI.

9. ace11

ace11 Registered Member

how do you apply the patch manually?

10. drakester

An updated patch with the driver correction should be uploaded very soon. I'd advice to wait.

Manual install it's a bit of a hassle since you have to disable self-defense, close KIS/KAV and replace the klif.sys driver in WINDOWS\System32\drivers with

32-bit
    -http://dnl-test.kaspersky-labs.com/test/ap/AutoPatches/kav11/11.0.1.400/sys/i386/6.0/klif.sys

or for 64-bit
    -http://dnl-test.kaspersky-labs.com/test/ap/AutoPatches/kav11/11.0.1.400/sys/x64/6.0/klif.sys

I have tested the 64-bit and the Photo Viewer issue dissapeared. :)

11. ace11

ace11 Registered Member

@drakester ,

Thank you

12. xxJackxx

I'll wait for them to update the klif.sys issue before trying the update. I haven't had any problems with the GUI but I'll be happy to see them fix the other stuff.

13. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

The updater now picks up the klif.sys module.

14. xxJackxx

I have applied the 'b' patch on 2 machines and no issues so far. And it may be placebo effect but it seems faster to me now. I highly recommend giving it a try if you are having any issues with the 2011 version. :thumb:

15. xandros

xandros Registered Member

kis 2011 light on my computer

16. NCC_1927

NCC_1927 Registered Member

KIS 2011 on my computer is orders of magnitude FASTER than 2010 was. It took almost a week once for 2010 to do a Full Scan. 2011 does it in a few hours while I sleep. I've been using Kaspersky for several years now after ditching resource hog Norton.

17. shadek

shadek Registered Member

As you've been using Kaspersky for several years, you've probably missed that Kaspersky is now considered the resource hog and Norton being one of the lightest AVs out there.

18. yaslaw

yaslaw Registered Member

I have 2-years licence for KIS and I have mix feelings about this program.
    From on side I feel very very well protected (I daily testing malware links from malwaredomainlist) - both signature and proactive detection seems extremly strong, but from other side I see some system impact. On my computer it doesn't seems to be resource hog but its definitly heavier than avast or norton 2010/2011.

19. NCC_1927

NCC_1927 Registered Member

I switched away from Norton for other reasons also. I'm quite happy with KIS 2011. 2010 was a bit problematic.

20. stratoc

stratoc Guest

I too would be amazed if trying nis 2010 or 2011 (better still) you didnt feel as though your pc had just had a major hardware upgrade :D

21. SevenSight

SevenSight Registered Member

I am running KIS 2011, and seems light on my system. Summary PCMag review:

Pros

Attractive easy interface. Excellent results in independent lab tests. Effective built-in support. Speed full scan. Bonus system tuning and privacy features. Rescue Disk can scan even systems that won't boot.

Cons

Earned mediocre scores in my hands-on malware removal and blocking tests. Erroneously identified two PCMag utilities as malware (false positives).

Bottom Line

Kaspersky's latest antivirus looks better than ever, and independent labs consistently put it at or near the top. In my hands-on tests it scored well below what the labs would suggest, though, and it made a couple of serious faux pas false positives.

Full review here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2367779,00.asp

22. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

23. Rampastein

That was true with KIS 2010, but KIS 2011 has scored well on all recent performance tests (Norton is still faster though).

@SevenSight:That's a review of KAV 2011, there's a seperate KIS 2011 review.

24. drakester

Patch 'b' has been released. This should fix the worse bugs around (altho many smaller remain...)

Changelog:

25. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Thanks for posting.
    This will fix most bugs. It sure makes things faster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.