Kaspersky Antivirus and Internet Security 2011 Final

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by osip, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

But if you have some serious things to scan, then definitely its not the right thing...:(, whereas Avast and Norton scans everything at very high speed without taking too much system resources...

2. icr

icr Registered Member

They might resolve the issue in CF1.

But in my case the scan time is not that slow it is just medicore infact it did remove certain infections:-* that weren't caught by my previous AV.

Another issue in my case is that it take too much time for disinfection procedure:'(

BTW why my task manager is showing 3 avp.exe processes?

3. AvinashR

:eek::eek: Why don't you ask your system? He'll definitely let you know about it...:p

BTW restart it, and then see..

4. Fuzzydice45

Fuzzydice45 Registered Member

Another avp.exe process starts when an update is performed, which will close itself when its finished updating.
    Unless they've changed something in 2011..

Anyone tried out the new system watcher?
    It sounds interesting but I too am waiting for CF1 before I give 2011 a go.

5. AvinashR

Another pathetic problem detected...

Kaspersky won't ask you if he detects anything...It will automatically take action against detected things... Even if its false +ve it may take removal action..:(

I have lost one thing very precious...:mad:

6. CreepyKangaroo

CreepyKangaroo Registered Member

There should be an option to let the user manually decide what needs to be done about a file... If not, I just don't know what to say!!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  7. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

You can indeed easily switch between automatic action and interactive mode.

8. AvinashR

Where is it?

Attached Files:

9. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208281922
    and you can restore the deleted item from All detected items.
    It's basically the same thing as the System watcher that was present from v2009. Provide information and "support" for PDM and HIPS modules.
    In 2011 it's a new component, however BSS (Behavior stream signatures) detections and Rollback for PDM events aren't new- they're in 2010 as well. There are some improvements under the hood probably.

As for long and resource consuming scans; not all products scan every compound files (some products don't scan .iso's for example), lot of them have a archive recursion depth limit, some don't scan digitally signed files etc. KAV and DrWeb (along with some others) are the most through scanners available, it's expected for them to scan longer than others.
    From a different perspective, if a AV uses ~20% CPU usage on scanning which takes ~40mins, why not make it use ~80% and be done in ~10 mins. Resources are there to be used. :)

10. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

In General Settings

11. AvinashR

I have noticed it..but it still deleting things...

12. 3x0gR13N

Uninstall and reinstall or Settings>Restore, afterwards disable automatic mode as posted without tampering with any other settings.

13. AvinashR

To be very honest, this AV requires strong eyes, you need to check each and every settings ten times before implementing...And even it was not light during scanning and i am sure it won't be rectified on CF1 too.

14. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

Are the scans still slow in this version ? I used the bootcd version on a computer the other day. And it took like 3 hours to scan a hard drive that only had like 20GB of data -_-

15. King Grub

Kaspersky has never been light during scanning. Especially when it comes to archives and installation packages; it unpacks them in memory. The scans are thorough, but very far from light. When the scan reaches a big archive, it can seem to stall for a very very long time, churning away at it. This has always been the case with Kaspersky, and I've used it since... well, since early this century at least, on many systems and OS:s. Don't expect any changes on that front. Don't schedule scans when you are going to do something else resource-intensive.

16. 3x0gR13N

You wanted to be prompted for detected malware... all it takes is to uncheck one setting and you're done. I don't see what's the issue. I wouldn't say that having plenty of options and detailed settings is a bad thing. :)
    That's in a linux environment, doesn't say much about how the actual application will behave in Windows.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

cd's are slow.
    you cannot compare and installed version of kav on windows to a bootable cd.

18. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

Once you select that option in General Settings, you go to the individual components and check to ask you what action to perform. That's how I set it up and it will ask before doing anything.

19. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

20. ace11

ace11 Registered Member

old news :cool:

21. drakester

drakester Registered Member

You only need to read a couple of pages here to know CF1 isn't quite in a good shape (yet).

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=175919&pid=1419536&st=120&#entry1419536

Last replies sum it up pretty well: censorship and complaints.
    A certain moderator in particular keeps deleting any reply that criticizes KL or the CF1 current build. I believe that if you paid hard cash for a product you are entitled to speak your mind and politely request improvement.

The russian forums (and pretty much any other forum outside the English section) are much better in this regard, you can actually make an opinion there.
    The actual Kaspersky staff has been receptive and tolerant of customer feedback, they do actually get how it works. Kudos to them.

A patch is coming, that will fix the outstanding bugs. But in my own opinion you shouldn't release a "Critical fix" with critical bugs.

CF2 will begin in August/September and hopefully will be a solid improvement. :)
    KIS/KAV 2011 feels better and performs better, it could be so good if it wasn't for it's raw state.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

For years KIS had been my favorite, but about 5-6 months ago 2010 became unsatable and problems with data base being corrupt began so I uninstalled it.

I tried it again a few weeks ago, and it froze my machine during update.
    Reviewing the KL forum, and some comments here the 2011 has some of the same problems, and is also buggy. As a result I am not going to consider returning to KIS unless there is a reasonably long period of stable operation.

As good as KIS is it is just too buggy. I hope they get it straightened out, but recent history does not make me optimistic.

Regards,
    Jerry

23. osip

osip Registered Member

The main problem here was the fw. When this is solved I will return.In the mean time went for another solution.

24. King Grub

25. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

When 2011 was still in beta someone said that updates to new builds would be possible automatically from within the program. Is this the case now or is that feature not yet ready?

Also, release notes for CF1:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.