kaspersky antivirus 6.0 beta released & a new KIS released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by chaos16, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

How do you install kav beta as a scanner only. I installed it and checked off active protection, but for some reason, something stays active becasue when I go and run it manually, it tells me to restart active protection and if I do, I can check that KAV spyware, adware etc scanning is still active. Do I just turn off the ENABLE PROTECTION box in the main Protection Setting?

dja2k

2. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Some of you use Outpost and tried this new version? They works fine together?

Thanks

5. AAPlus2

AAPlus2 Guest

Hey,To all

Hmm can i install this & run it i do use KAV 5.0 now
    will there be a problem do i need to uninstall 5.0 firsto_O
    are there any problems if you are running ZA Pro

Thank you

6. Don Pelotas

Yes, you need to uninstall 5.0 first, and unless you are imterested in testing beta software, i would recommend that you stay with 5.0.
    Yes there is, at least there has been and since this version is only a couple hours old, i would recomend that you keep an eye on the beta section of the http://forum.kaspersky.com/, or ask if someone confirm if this is fixed in this version. :)

7. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I didn't realize that KAV On-line Web Scanner 5.0 was "time limited". I went to use it the other day, and was told that my trial had expired! I didn't even know it was a "TRIAL"! Granted, I didn't research all of the rules surrounding the use of the product, but I thought it was good to use as an on demand AV scanner until I removed it (or the manufacturer discontinued it).

Does anyone know if you can "sign up" for KAV Web Scanner 5 again? And if not, what online, on demand AV scanner would one recommend that is effective, reliable, and prefrrably won't pull the rug out from under my feet with a "now it's here, then it's gone" trial type approach?

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Check out post 17 onwards;

Read the same thread ;)

9. Don Pelotas

I think you only need to uninstall it from add/remove programs, and then just logging on to the Webscanner again and reinstalling the components again, it's probably because it went from beta to release candidate status. :)

Eidt: Blackcat beat me to the post. ;)

10. AAPlus2

AAPlus2 Guest

Hello,To all

@Don Pelotas

Thanks for your reply no i think i will stay with 5.0
    just like to have a look at what 6.0 looks like no big thing
    will just hold till it's out:)

Thank you

11. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

The new version KAV & KIS 6.0.13.195 Beta is out today.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

12. Don Pelotas

You can download 6.0.13.195 here. Please do not download unless you want to be a part of discovering bugs and are prepared to accept what pre-betasoftware might throw at you, because this is what these "halfpublic" builds are about. You can find new features & bugs list here. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Don

Does the installer still permit you to turn off the ADS option like you can in 5.0

Pete

14. Don Pelotas

No, because it doesn't use ADS, never has. :)

15. .....

..... Registered Member

The 2006 range doesnt use ADS tagging :) . It uses a technology called "iSwift" instead :D

16. Peter2150

Okay, let me be a bit more specific.

I use Raxco's First Defense-ISR. On Raxco's website is a warning that it isin't compatible with KAV 5.0. The first time I installed KAV, I discovered Raxco was right on, so I uninstalled KAV, then ran KAV's KLStream program, which did seem to remove a whole bunch of ADS from files, and reinstalled KAV only this time I unchecked the Istream feature, and then FDISR ran fine.

What I am asking I guess, is the Istream feature still being used and can it be turned off.

Pete

I guess I should also ask what is Iswift

17. .....

..... Registered Member

KAV 6 doesnt use the iStreams technology anymore.

iSwift is a technology based on checksum's. Its similar to the old iChecker technology as it uses a database.

18. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

In 6.0.13.195, the Web Anti-Virus Scan is "failing to start".

19. Peter2150

Excellent. Thanks for the info.

Pete

20. .....

..... Registered Member

Have you tried restarting your computer?

21. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

22. .....

..... Registered Member

You can install KIS and use it as an anti-virus only (its what i did).

I installed:
    File Anti-Virus
    Web Anti-Virus
    Proctive Defence

ONLY.

23. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I haven't gotten it yet. Does the new beta fix the problems at this site and at KAV board? I can't navigate either site unless I suspend KIS.

I'm going to go get it now. I forgot today was Friday.

24. Don Pelotas

Hi Mele20

It's very different from .183 on my computer, .183 was too buggy for my taste. 6.0.13.195 has been utterly stable since yesterday on my pc, i would uninstall .183 in safemode if it were me, before installing 6.0.13.195. :)

25. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I uninstalled 1.83 before installing the new build. Right after it installed, it locked the CPU at 100% usage. I had to exit it. I tried again and very high CPU usage again. So, I exited it again. Tried a third time and it didn't do that except normally for a few seconds when loading.

Why is the memory usage so much greater in this build? Almost 30,000K. It was about half that with the previous build. I have it on my virtual PC where I only have 256RAM. I don't like it hogging memory.

Ugh. In just the time it took me to type the above the memory usage for avp.exe has risen to 33,000K. I'm not going to be able to run this and do anything else except have Fx open as it is a memory hog also.

Now avp.exe (2) is at total of 35,000K!

EDIT: I see the showthread.php problem here is not fixed. :( I guess that means it is not fixed for the KAB board or many other sites.

Maybe the memory usage is going to reduce but it is definitely a lot higher than the previous build on this box.

I see the email checker now lets me download more than one message at a time in Outlook Express so that is an improvement. But I can't use the email checker because it still can't differentiate between Identities. It forces all mail to download into the Main identity and none into the other identities. :(

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.