Kaspersky Antihacker vs zonealarm free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Suggers, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suggers

Suggers Guest

Hi,
    I currently use an older version of zonealarm free (I have windows 98 SE and newer versions of ZA free don't run on windows 9x), but as part of a free software package, I have received a free license key for Kaspersky Antihacker.

Does anyone know how kaspersky antihacker runs on an older win 98 PC? Im asking because I previously used KAV version 5, but had to uninstall it, as it caused a number of problems with my PC that KAV technical support couldnt help with. I dont want to install Kaspersky antihacker if it will cause similar conflicts.

ZA free is very easy to use, I just install it and run, no need to configure anything. Is Kaspersky antihacker also pre-configured or easy to configure? Also, how does ZA free compare with Kaspersky in it's resource usage, as ZA runs very well at the minute I dont really want a new firewall if it going to slow down my pc?

Regards,

2. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

i think you should go for zonealarm instead of anti-hacker,simply because the stand-alone one isn't as good as the one bundled with their security suite and also from what i have learnt that kaspersky isn't going to contunie with it anymore...
    so go for za!

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Also vote for ZA .

Something else I would recommend , since you use too old operating system , consider buying qualitive router which will be a hardware firewall including NAT and SPI . In addition with good antivirus , you'll not need outgoing protection

4. Suggers

Suggers Guest

Thanks for that, Ill stay with ZA free- I was a bit surprised at how poorly it did in some leak tests, but from what ive been reading kaspersky anti-hacker probably isnt be much better. :)

5. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

There's the famous quote: "You get what you paid for". Paid versions of ZA will offer you significantly better protection with their OSFirewall feature.

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah the free ZA firewall doesn't do too well in the leaktests.
    For a rock solid firewall i'd suggest Jetico which is free, doesn't seem to use too much system resources and will work with win98. It can be a little tedious to setup but is very good imo.

7. speedlever

speedlever Registered Member

Is Jetico still being developed? Last version I see is 1.0.1.61 dated 19July2005.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There is supposedly a version 2 in the works but we have yet to see any sign of it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.