Kaspersky 6 - prob with trial...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ChrisP, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I have installed KAV 6 (and uninstalled F-Secure etc) and it seems to work fine, other than KAK is preventing evidence eliminator from starting. Evidence eliminator just fails to start and an error message is given. I see that from the event window in KAV that it is preventing it working - here is a copy of the event:

21/04/2007 21:06:50 Process (PID 2640) tried to access Kaspersky Anti-Virus process (PID 276), but the action has been blocked by the Self-Defense component. No action on your part is necessary.
    21/04/2007 21:06:50 Process (PID 2640) tried to access Kaspersky Anti-Virus process (PID 2496), but the action has been blocked by the Self-Defense component. No action on your part is necessary.

These two meaasges pop up each time I try to run evidence eliminator. How can I prevent KAV from killing it? Can it be added to a safe list or something?

Cheers,

Chris.

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I don't use evidence eliminator, so I can't be specific about that, but a couple of things to try:-

1) Click 'Protection' in the LH panel of KAV, then click 'Settings'; finally uncheck the box 'Enable Protection' and try evidence eliminator again.

2) Click 'Protection' then the 'Trusted Zone' button; finally in the 'Exclusion Mask' tab create an exclusion for evidence eliminator from KAV's PDM.

3) Another possibility is in the Trusted Zone, Trusted Applications tab, add evidence eliminator and check the box for 'do not restrict application activity'.

3. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Hi, tried that but did not work. Even if I dsable KAV, ee still wont start. I need to reboot with KAV disabled first, then ee will start. If I then enable KAV, ee runs. If I terminate ee then try to run it again, it wont start again.

in terms of - 2) Click 'Protection' then the 'Trusted Zone' button; finally in the 'Exclusion Mask' tab create an exclusion for evidence eliminator from KAV's PDM. - I could not see how to do this as ee was not listed.

Cheers.

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

You have to add ee to the list by clicking the add button, then clicking 'specify' in the Exclusion mask box; enabling you to 'Browse' to the correct file. Finally click 'selected task' to apply it to the PDM.

Don't forget that no change in KAV will take effect unless you click OK followed by clicking 'Apply'. If you forget the final 'Apply' stage then the change will not be retained.

I've just thought of something else: click 'Settings', then click 'Services' in the LH panel of the settins box; now uncheck 'enable self-defence' and apply the change. That could be the answer to your problem.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  5. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

hello
    this is a self defense message, you can't exclude it.
    try to go to settings->Service and enable "compatibility with programs using self protection"

6. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Hi. Thanks, but that didnt work either! I found that if I run a complete system scan with KAV, thereafter ee can start and run with no problem. This is all most strange. This does not help me much as I need ee to load when I boot. Please help!!

7. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

extend what topper told you to.
    under settings, trusted zone, trusted applicatinos add the eliminator's exe and check all 4 boxes (do not scan opened files, application activity, registry & network traffic).
    also does it work if you keep self defense disabled?

8. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Hi, apols. That did work. Cheers! I found thet with all the malware options etc turned on that KAV slowed down my PC loads, so I have gone back to my F-Secure 5.44 / Trojanhunter / AVG 7.5 / Unhackme / Paretologic / Spustopper / Processguard setup - actually runs faster!

Thanks for the support though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.