Kaspersky 5.0.156 and ShadowUser Pro 2.5

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Osaban, Aug 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I just want to tell you a story involving several programs, and how difficult it is sometimes to tell what is happening to your system.

In May this year I bought a boxed version of KAV + KAH at a large store in Milan, Italy(cost:50 Euros).
    KAV's version happened to be 5.0.156 and when I tried to upgrade to the latest version kaspersky would decline the upgrade on account of the license key being' blacklisted' (basically meaning my program has a pirate license).

I e-mailed KAV support on the spot with proof of payment of my purchase (I sent the e-mail to at least 3 different addresses) and nevergot a reply.

Well I thought, the program works well, so let's wait for the next yearly payment to ask for an upgrade(but I couldn't help thinking of Symantec's notorious support service).

Now enter ShadowUser to this: Trialled the program, liked it, apparently no issues and bought it. After several weeks I realize that whenever I try to standby or hibernate Windows (Windows home XP2) I get a 'blue screen of death'. My immediate reaction was that something was wrong with Windows, and took my comp back to the manufacturer assistance for advice.

Compaq said the Operating system was damaged (?) and there's no other alternative than reformat the HD. Got my comp back and felt as if I had lost my wallet, and wasn't convinced about Compaq diagnosis.
    I was going to re- install everything from scratch and did it methodically, I checked every program after download for possible blue screens.

And bingo, after re-installing ShadowUser I got a blue screen when I try to Hibernate the system. I e-mailed Shadowstor straight away about the problem asking them to look into it for future reference. I got a reply within a day! They kindly informed me, without knowing anything about my system, that the problem is caused by an early version of ....KAV. And they were right! Upon uninstalling KAV 5.0.156 (which I could not upgrade nor could I get a single reply from KAV) my system behaved 'normally'.

I tried to download the trial version of the latest KAV pro version. As predicted from the Shadowstor support, it behaved perfectly except that the program reported a mail scan error and suggested I SHOULD CONTACT KAV SUPPORT straight away.....

No way, my patience has its limits, and as much as I like KAV,it's been the cause of too many of my problems and the bottom line is that many companies nowadays think they can get away with just supplying a good product without any support. I'm trying NOD32, so far so good, wish me luck.

2. Rushed4Time

Rushed4Time Registered Member

Please report your results! I just began with ShadowUser last week, and LOVE it!

If I'm not mistaken, Spy1 - a member here who uses ShadowUser, said he uses NOD32. If you search his recent posts, he mentioned that there are only 4 programs he feels are a "must" for him.

Actually, wanted to make sure I was correct, so I found the post. I plan to try out his preferred combo this week.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=528040#post528040

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Actually my current set-up isn't that much different from SPY1:
    ShadowUser + Nod32 (after the debacle with KAV) + Outpost FW + Process Guard + MS AntiSpyware Beta.

KAV 5.0.156 was definitely conflicting with SU, and after installing Nod everything seems run very smoothly indeed and let me tell you, if I had to run ONLY ONE application that would certainly be SU: Great protection + great support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.