Kaspersky 2009

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Dark Shadow, Aug 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I had just recently purchsed kaspersky kav 2009 its been on two days now.I just went and scheduled the check disk and it booted normal it skipped past any check disk.I went and scheduled once again and restarted this time to a error to restart or cancel.:eek: I never used kaspersky until now other then a trial of it and it appears there is still and issue of checkdisk at least on my system.I am not sure if this was related to ISwift in the past or present but I disabled this feature and tried another check disk and it went fine.I hate to have to remove it because I like it,it is light on my system and scans fast.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

*yawns* the chkdisc issue was fixed in kav2009. i thought the talk about that had finally been put to bed.

3. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Given the fact that Kaspersky refused to accept any responsibility for this and chose to blame MS instead and refused to release any tool to fix this issue, leaving their customers in the cold with fsutil hacks - I don't think your "yawn" has any merit whatsoever here. :rolleyes:

4. Dark Shadow

Yep sure its fixed minus ISwift,Well apearently Not with it. I never had chkdisc issues ever. My laptop is 6mths old worked flawless up to the install KAV.Perhaps Its Isolated to My machine Time will tell.Either way No big Deal since I have the option to untick it.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  5. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Still talking about the old chkdsk issue? I think it's more a bashing reason than a real problem. It's not like the logon or shutting down or any thing that happens regularly is slowed down, just a function that happens in extreme cases and that I don't think that anyone would stare at the screen waiting for it to end.

6. Dark Shadow

What end It did not even start (LOL) anyways There is nothing in my post about bashing kaspersky at all.Anyone that runs some sort of maintanace,virus scan, what ever it may be I am sure one would verify its working before walking away.like I said maybe its isolated to my machine and I Really hope So because I like it a lot.IF it doesn't work in my favor at least I only lost $20.00 us dollars.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  7. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

If the chkdisc problem is solved in KAV 2009, why is djohn having a chkdisc problem after installing KAV 2009?

I think a "yawn", and a brush off, is a little inconsiderate when someone comes here with a problem. Hmmmm. :thumbd: KAV fanboys. It's never KAV's fault, it just KAV bashers stirring up trouble. :rolleyes:

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I tried to tell you dudes, 2 months ago is isnt fixed. Just ecause someone tells you the sky is blue, doesnt mean it is. Not bashing Kaspersky, but I know for a fact they are working on it and buying time. But it aint fixed.

9. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

it's not 'yawns' to a person with HD issues. I respect Kaspersky but the attitude isn't needed. If one person is effected than IMHO that's one too many & his position should be respected by others...

10. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

there is a few posts on the OFFICIAL Kav forums about chkdsk issue in 2009. might want to check there bro maybe a fix or a work around if you like the software and want to keep it. scene it seems no one wants to help with the issue here. maybe better luck there.

11. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

For anyone using Kaspersky, I'd simply suggest turning the iSwift/iChecker thing off and never turning it on again... I simply completely lost trust in this and Kaspersky has done zero effort to prove me wrong so far. And this thread doesn't make it any better. :ouch:

12. Dark Shadow

Thank you gray stroke.No worrys though My life war scares are deep enough there is No pain.:p

13. Dark Shadow

Well I must have miised that I would have noted indeed.Thanks for the confirmation.

14. Dark Shadow

Thanks Fajo, I will keep it with ISwifter off see how it goes.

15. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

You're very welcome. Good luck with what ever AV choice you make.

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

kaspersky simply used a function within the OS. the only reason chkdisc takes so long is since it wasnt orginaly designed to have that much data to process.
    thats why kaspersky changed the way it stores the tags in kav/kis2009.
    its far to easy to blame kaspersky for the chkdisc problem in this case.
    the only way to be sure is to open a support ticket with kaspersky and send any logs they ask for to get this sorted out.

17. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I love how everything is shifted to MS.. when not one other program that is widely used has any problem with Microsoft or its OS. and a problem that was added with Kaspersky. that would take them all of 10 sec to recode not to kill it. whats next BSOD.. O sorry its not our program it MS's fault for BOSDing on our software.

18. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

While that's what's mentioned out there, that really doesn't seem to be the case unless I'm misunderstanding things. I do a much more parsimonious/judicious use of the file object ID's, but an NTFS file object ID is an NTFS file object ID. I really don't know what "stored differently" means in a technical sense.
    My best educated guess is that's it's a confluence of things and a very low probably one at that (which is not a guess - that's simple empirical observation).

As I've noted previously, there are some clear and fundamental behavioral expectations that one should observe if this is the root of eventual systemic filesystem corruption. One expectation is a steady growth of reported problems as the product lifetime in the field increases. To this point, that has not been seen, at least by me watching for it in the forums. Naturally, that doesn't prove things either way, but it does provide a modicum of a reality check.

Blue

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi blue,
    with older builds of kis6.0 last year windows XP SP2 did wanted to run chkdisc everyfew weeks. when i updated to newer versions of kis6.0 and kis7.0 it didnt happern anymore.
    My vista computer with kis7.0 when i tryed to dual boot windows 2000 it wanted to run chkdisc on my data partition and it changed all the tags back to default.
    ive had no problems with kis2009 so far with reguards to chkdisc.
    so iknow there was some problems with chkdisc in older versions of the product.
    when i asked about how iswift and ichecker was changed in kis/kav 2009 at the Kl forums i was told it was changed to circumvent the chkdisc problems.
    i was never told anything more about what was changed.

20. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

it's easy to blame kaspersky because chkdsk disn't work when installed but did uninstalled. Since I assume you don't don't expect him to unistall his OS what would you have him blame it on. All software has glitches even Kaspersky, it's not the end all to end all AV...

21. BlueZannetti

That can be due to other things. By comparison, I've never experienced an unsolicited chkdsk execution except immediately following a severe system crash (when it was basically expected).
    As with many events involving complex systems, tracing cause and effect is oftentimes ambiguous. I'm not saying a specific program is not the cause, simply that what's occurring in the background can be complicated.
    This can be complicated. Order of install can be important (generally Win 2k, then Vista). There are other potential issues (as I recall) that escape me at the moment.
    Again, time based correlation doesn't always equate with cause and effect. Obviously, it suggests an initial point of examination, but if viewed alone constitutes fairly weak evidence (unless it can be recreated at will and so on).
    Some things were possibly changed, but let's just say that objective technical details are sparse.

Blue

22. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

The problem is not the the chkdsk itself. I guess what many people don't like about KAV/KIS is the NTFS object IDs it taggs every single file on your hard disk. People may feel that their file systems were contaminated by the KAV/KIS because those NTFS IDs were otherwise totally unnecessary.

23. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

one more merit of KIS:

Attached Files:

24. BlueZannetti

oliverjia,

That's a secondary issue that is really rather distinct. Obviously, some people feel very strongly that a program should leave a minimal persistent footprint on a system after it is uninstalled. Most products adhere to this basic dictum. The use of file object ID's as implemented by KL can leave a fairly large and persistent footprint long after the program is removed. Naturally, if one continues to use the program, it's largely an irrelevant issue.

Back to your first sentence - no, the primary issue was related to CHKDSK itself. The precise scenario was a sequence of events that ultimately resulted in a system state that prevented chkdsk from successfully completing. Once this occurred, correctable filesystem inconsistencies would lie uncorrected and this would cascade to eventual filesystem corruption. There were a handful of reports in which this appeared to be a reasonable working scenario. I say appeared since KL was slow to show interest, I guess people needed to move on, and the disks were wiped. While causation was inferred (events were contemporaneous with KAV/KIS installs), most of this activity occurred around the beta testing/initial release and definitive causation was not demostrated - at least to a level that I'd be satisfied with.

Is the issue a dead horse? I'd say pretty much yes. However, it's useful to actually get the details right when discussing this or any other technical issue. There's enough misinformation on this whole area floating around.

Blue

25. Dark Shadow

OMG The nightmere continues now evey other link I click a BSOD occurs. I had 3 in the last hour.I removed Zemana thinking its proactive is fighting with Kav and the same results.I removed put geswall pro back on with Zemana and all seems fine again at the moment.On top of all this my personal filecabinet for support id/password I was given is invalid.I have to Laugh about it or I be outside in the dark skeet shooting with the disk.It could be my vista it self just do not get along it happens.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.