Kaspersky 2006/Kis 2006 beta1 released.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Don Pelotas, Nov 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldjim

Oldjim Registered Member

seems to be down

2. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Blackcat, no nothing, I installed it on a clean test partition that had no other security apps.

I just restored a clean build and tried just KAV2006 Beta 1 rather than KIS and I'm not seeing any high CPU use at all. Must be something in my set up that some of the KIS components don't like.

How do I submit this to Kaspersky? Their forum seems to be down this morning.

3. Zephyr77

Zephyr77 Registered Member

Hello,

New member here at Wilder. Was not aware of this forum until I started researching AV/Security software. What an informative forum!

Anyway, I've been wanting to switch to a different IS program and since my subscription for NIS 2005 is up next week, the timing is right. I've pretty much decided to go with KIS 2006. I'm the type of person who likes the integrated solutions for AV, Spam, Firewall, etc.

I'm going to downlod and install the Beta but have a quick question. I can't find info on the Kaspersky site re: annual subscription fees. Can someone enlighten me? I'm going to need three licenses.

Lastly, my assumption is that I'll need to go through the pain of uninstalling NIS 2005, hopefully without issues. I remember reading a detailed process for removing Symantec products on the Kaspersky forum. Since their forum is down, can someone help with detailed info on the steps necessary, other than Add/Remove Programs.

Thanks!
    -Zeph

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi

If you only had Nis 2005 installed, then after you have uninstalled it & rebooted, delete any Norton folders left behind (use search) then run the Norton tool symNRT and install the trial of RegSupreme & fix what it finds in normalmode. You're done.

If you have had several different versions of Norton installed over the years, then it would be a good idea to run all four Norton tools in this order: symNRT, Rnav2003, RnisUPG & SYMCLN, you can download them here:http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/pfdocs/2005033108162039?Open

The annual renewal-fee is 30% off the fullprice, but you won't need a key until 2006 is released sometime in jan/2006, so if you buy now don't use the key until then, because the gets activated with the first update. When you install the beta, you just choose "Activate later" when it asks for a key. It's mainly there to test a new way of activation.

Btw Newegg has big discounts on the suite here, you can just buy the key(s) now and download the latest version from the official site when the time comes.:)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Welcome aboard Zephy77! Don's handled most of the details on uninstalling NIS...

There has been no official word on prices as of yet. They have mentioned the upgrade paths here, although that is at slight variance with what was stated in the forum. According to the forum, current licensees of Kaspersky Personal Security Suite and KAV Pro would have a free upgrade to KIS 2006 while the direct upgrade of KAV Personal 5.0 would be to KAV 2006. If you look at the current pricing of those products, that would put per seat cost in the range of $50-60, assuming you went with a fresh purchase instead of the discount route noted by Don.

Blue

6. Zephyr77

Zephyr77 Registered Member

Thanks Don & Blue!

I'll work with the KIS Beta to get a feel for the program. If all is well, I'll buy the keys from Newegg.

-Zeph

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Zeph,

One last mention since the KL forums are down...., when you install and get to the point to activate the program, just select Activate Later.

Blue

8. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

9. twig

twig Guest

kind of like the kis223 release. running it on a clean system with no other security apps. Its so lite and breezy on my system considering the amount of security it covers .

10. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Just curious, but how good is the firewall included with KIS 2006? Can you setup custom rules on it?

dja2k

11. Don Pelotas

ATM it paases the leaktest's, but it is not finished yet and snort rules will probably first be implimented in beta2. Yes, of course you can make custom rules.

Many of your Kav/Kis 2006 questions has a better chance of a precise answer in the betasection of the forum:http://forum.kaspersky.com/

12. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

KAV2006 is awesome IMHO. I can't use KIS because of a bloody BSOD. I get the same thing with almost every software firewall, so no big deal there, lol.

13. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Well, I was satisfied with Kav 5, only thing that I didn´t like was that you couldn´t run it on slow machines, so I installed AntiVir. Also, I was using a keylogger, KAV kept complaining about it, even though I had added it to the exlcusion list, very annoying, I hope it´s fixed. But I´m reading a lot of positive stuff, I will test it next week, but should I install it on VMWare first, is it already stable enough? :rolleyes:

14. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well, I removed Kav 2006 and Look'n'Stop to install KIS 2006 Full just to see what the fuzz was about. All I have to say is , WOW! Someone in the Kaspersky Labs sure is doing their work. KIS 2006 sure looks like its going to be a near-solid or even solid foundation for an all-in-one security package IMO.

dja2k

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I know the Av component is top notch and the firewall component is also pretty good, but I am keen to hear about how well the other components do their job.

16. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Everyone seems to debate the idea of having an all-in-one security suite around here as well, people don't really want to comment on how the registry protection of KAV comprares to RegDefend. Well about the proactive, yeah I am also learning more and more about it everyday. So far, the registry protection is almost up there with RegDefend IMO as I see many duplicate popups, one from KAV and one from RD for regular registry changes. I think KIS has about 81 registry entries to protect while RD has about 83 or so + Custom. Though, there is still some difference between their keys that they cover becasuse sometimes I see a popup from KAV not RD and vise versa. Also RD has the option to allow all via a checkmark to prevent further popups from the same action to appear, KIS doesn't. About the other proactive protection, don't really know what they are doing since I haven't seen any popups or information by them.

dja2k

Last edited: Nov 12, 2005
  17. The Hammer

What about KAV's Antispam and antispyware? The antispam in F-Secure's 2006 suite is said to be not very good and it's anti spy supposedly does not play well with other antispy programs requiring their uninstall.

18. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Don't really know what you mean by antispyware cause the KAV is the best AV to spot out and detect adware and spyware by itself with its extended database. As far as the antispan, don't really know as I haven't messed with it yet. The anti spy was said to produce false positives, though don't know if they have gotten fixed with the updates. I will continue to use KIS 2006 and see how it goes.

dja2k

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  19. The Hammer

I saw a review that said F-Secure's 2006 suite required the uninstall of Adaware and Spybot. That's why I asked about Kaspersky's Antispyware.

20. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

There isn't any conflict here with any antispyware program. Maybe you are comfusing the Anti-Spy module from the KIS suite with resident antispyware scanners from alternative companies. The KIS Anti-Spy covers sections of Anti-Phishing (credit cards), a Pop-Up Blocer, an Anti-Banner, and an Anti-Dialer.

dja2k

21. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

does anyone have any idea went this product will be out?

22. Don Pelotas

It is scheduled for release in jan/2006.

23. The Hammer

No I'm asking if it's similar to F-Secure's. But I can see from your post that it's not.

24. Don Pelotas

The reason F-Secure requires you to uninstall Ad-Aware is because their "own" AS is simply a rebranded version of............Ad-Aware.;) You can still use Ad-Aware with 2006, but if you use a hostfile too, you would be very unlucky if it finds anything other than cookies.:)

25. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

thanks for let me know, cant wait it look fantastic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.