K7 Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bellgamin, Dec 22, 2022.

1. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Yes. Tinywall states

There’s more said. Like to make sure your computer is free of malware before using learning mode.

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

@Azure Phoenix -- I did NOT see that learning mode option in TinyWall. Shame on me. I will give it another try. BTW, does TW show details about connections & services, as does SimpleWall?
    Aww, shucks! I gotta get rid of my favorite malware apps. :'( (Kidding)

Hey, thank you very much for setting me straight on TW. Have a very Merry Christmas and a blessed 2023.

3. Azure Phoenix

I haven’t used Simplewall. So I won’t be able to compare exactly.

However Tinywall does have an option to show connections in three categories.

- Open ports
    - Active connections
    - Blocked apps (in last 5 mins)

You can also see the protocol, local port, local address, remote port, remote address of each connection.

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

@Azure Phoenix -- TW is running on my computer at this moment. The learning mode worked fine, but there are still easier ways of doing this job.

I could see no evidence that TW controls connections made by services.

The open ports list included port 137 but did not say whether it was open for incoming only, or outgoing only, or both incoming & outgoing. I definitely want port 137 (for example) closed to outgoing. However, could find no way for user to close ports for outgoing or incoming or both. Have I again missed something?

5. Azure Phoenix

My suggestion is to try contact the developer to see if there’s anything you feel the firewall needs.

But it seems the developer hasn’t been active in this forum for quite some time.

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

It's a matter of taste, but the whole point of TinyWall is to indeed block all apps except for certain system services from connecting out. So as soon as some app needs to connect out, you can easily make a rule via the trayicon. I only have about 10 apps that need to connect out, all others are blocked which will make it quite hard for malware to abuse system processes or so called LOLBins.

I have read stories about Evorim not being able to correctly block apps from making outbound connections, so I wouldn't be surprised that it will also fail to block incoming connections. You're better of trusting the Windows Firewall. And like I said, it's a matter of taste, I find the Evorim GUI to be very cluttered.

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Indeed, tested it myself several times, it just fails to block blocked apps, then again so does binisoft WFC, because of some bug, apps can create rules and till WFC is opened and refreshed, they are ignored and thus allowed by default.

Attached Files:

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK I see, so this would mean that Evorim depends on the Win Firewall and is pretty much a joke. However, with WFC you should be able to block apps from simply adding inbound/outbound rules with the Secure Rules option.

9. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

No. I'm liking Malwarebyes Windows Firewall Control after Evorim Free Firewall for some unknown reason blocked the Bing website on every browser.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.