K-Meleon Skin Installation Problems

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hard Rocker, May 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

:) I am having problems installing new skins on the K-Meleon .9 Browser. I unzip & install them in Program Files\KM\Skins file & they appear in the edit - prefs - display panel along with the 3 default skins. However, when chosen and applied, any new skin eg. knoia does not display any icons on the KM Browser. If I try to reinstall any of the 3 original themes after this, the icons or buttons will no longer appear. o_O I have to uninstall & reinstall to get the icons back !!

Am I doing something wrong, or am I missing something within the K-Meleon setup that could be causing this ? :doubt:

2. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Strange. Two suggestions:

1) Before selecting the new skin in Edit / Preferences, make sure the toolbars are not locked (View / Toolbars) - then with the new skin, try moving the toolbars around to make sure the main bar isn't hiding under another toolbar.

2) Another solution would be after you've copied a new skin to the skins folder, copy the toolbar.cfg file from one of the functioning skins into the new skin, overwriting the existing file. With the new skin, KM should be set up exactly as it was before, only the icons will be different.

3. Hard Rocker

:rolleyes: Hi Meltdown,

The toolbar is unlocked & I also tried installing the toolbar.cfg file from the Klassic theme into the new Knoia 2.0 file and still no icons or buttons show on the browser.

But, as I stated above, once I choose ANY new skin from the edit>pref>skin panel & install it I have NEVER been able to get the icons to reappear within any theme.......not even the 3 originals !! o_O

I have uninstalled & reinstalled several times & the icons are always there initially on the browser for all 3 originals. As soon as any attempt is made to install a new theme all icons for all themes disappear permanently. :mad:

HR :cool:

4. Meltdown

Hm... so when the new skin doesn't work, is K-Meleon generating another toolbars.cfg file, maybe somewhere in the profiles directory? That would explain why you can't revert to the original functioning skins. I would try searching through the KM directory and all sub-directories, deleting any toolbars.cfg files other than those in the individual skins. But this won't solve your original problem of how to install a new skin; afraid I'm out of ideas.

5. Hard Rocker

:D I just performed .......... yet another fresh install of K-Meleon removing everything related to it ...... again !! :rolleyes:

I'm going to hold off on trying to install any new skins for now & maybe see if anyone else here at Wilders has experienced this bizarre scenario. o_O

Thanks for the suggestions Meltdown. At this point I don't have a clue as to why this keeps taking place. :(

6. Meltdown

I saw your thread at the KM forum. The regulars there are all black belts in K-Meleon, so if they can't help you...

I liked the suggestion of a separate KM install to experiment with, while retaining a functioning version.

7. Hard Rocker

;) Right On !!! That is exactly what I have done ....... by having a second K-Meleon browser available I can now experiment & when a theme does not apply itself properly ....... deleting the Profiles Folder enables the next theme to be applied with the icons visible. :D

It is kind of a " Band Aid Solution " ........ but hey, I'm not complaining. At least now I can preview all the different themes without " trashing " my primary browser !

Guenter really has it going on ...... but I guess that comes with the territory when you are a developer. It will be interesting to see how K-Meleon progresses. An option to change the background colours would be nice also ..... don't you think ?

Take it easy & thanks for responding Meltdown. :D

8. Meltdown

Okay, I think I see where the problem is. Try installing a new skin by unzipping it to the desktop and dragging the resulting folder into the skins folder. The set up has to be like this:

skins folder - individual theme folder - bitmaps and cfg files

It sounds like your new skins are set up this way:

skins folder - individual theme folder - another folder - bitmaps and cfg files

It's that 'another folder' which is causing the problems.

Also, make sure the skin is designed for KM 0.9 - it'll say on the KM themes page. Skins for 0.8 or earlier can only be used after a bit of tweaking.

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  9. Hard Rocker

Hi Meltdown, :)

I will certainly try your suggested procedure ......... however,
    last night I finally discovered what was causing the problem. :D

I use IZArc to unzip my files & when the initial option to unzip a file is chosen, a selection panel appears with a total of 4 options in it. Three of these options are checked by default. The 2nd option selected by default reads : Restore Original Folder. By unchecking this option ....... the so called " Sub Folder " which was always the folder appearing within the skins folder, is no longer there. Instead, the desired " themes / skins / file folder " is there in its place containing all of the required icons & files necessary for each theme to function as it should !! :rolleyes: Finally !!! :D

It was pretty much the same situation which you explain in your last posting. This " another folder " as you called it, was in fact, causing all the problems. Except now, I can just avoid having this folder created at all by unchecking that default setting in IZArc.

Thanks Again,

10. Meltdown

There had to be a simple explanation. Glad you got it working!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.